Greer Lightspeed

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by D_Malone, Apr 23, 2019.

1. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Meister

I know I'm late to the party on this one, but man, I'm really impressed.
    When a pedals gets overwhelmingly positive reviews I take notice, but that doesn't always mean it will work for me. The Lightspeed lives up to its reputation in my opinion. Lots of glowing reviews out there so I'm not going to rehash, but I have noticed some reviewers describe it as "scooped". Some even say it boosts bass. This is simply not true in my experience. I find the Lightspeed to be flat, i.e. it doesn't cut or boost at all. This may be perceived as "scooped" if you're accustomed to OD pedals that cut bass/boost mids, and a lot of them do. I set my amp the way I like and I don't want an OD pedal to change it. For a lead boost, yes, I like a little more mids, but I don't think that's the best application for the Lightspeed.

I've been through many OD pedals in my 35+ years of playing guitar. The Lightspeed is easily in my top 3. It might not be for everyone, but you're missing out if you don't at least try one.

High Head Brad and rze99 like this.
  2. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I think that's really the crux of it - the "classic OD recipe" was typically to liberally remove both bass and treble.

IMO, a big part of the "sounds transparent" thing is to provide an EQ that is more on the flat side.

These impressions are also a result of the whole one size fits all caveat - despite whatever EQ shaping an OD might have, it's typically followed by the EQ of an amp. That's where you end up with endless variations, and some ODs simply working better with some amps than others.

kevsonic and rze99 like this.
  3. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

and the ultimate conundrum.

At band volumes, in a mix, the "flat" OD often sounds like it is adding bass and treble. Lots of both.

Whereas the "midrangey" OD sounds, well, transparent.

Go figure.

kevsonic likes this.
  4. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Yep. That's why it's impossible to just discuss these different ODs w/o considering what amp they will be put thru, what volume someone will be playing at, etc. (what all is going on w/the band - 2nd guitarist? keys?, horns? does the drummer have five dozen cymbals? :lol:).

It's also the likely reason that a lot of these boxes sound so amazing when demoed in a completely controlled environment (e.g. YouTube videos), but something doesn't potentially work out so well, at the gig.

Generally speaking, for purposes of the gig, I think it's typically beneficial to restrict the guitar's EQ spectrum as much as possible (for OD stuff, specifically). It's already mostly limited to just ~80Hz - ~5KHz (with standard 6 string tuning) when using most "traditional" amps, anyway.

kevsonic and MilwMark like this.
  5. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Meister

All excellent points. About half of the stuff I play with our band is clean-ish. I'm one of two guitarists. I dial in my amp to sit nicely in the mix. For OD I simply want my tone + dirt, so a relatively flat OD works well for me when playing rhythm parts.
    For leads I do like something that either cuts bass or boosts mids. It's all about using the right tool for the job.

6. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

If the PedalPCB Mach1 schematic is accurate at all, it cuts a non-adjustable ton of bass, about like turning the Timmy bass cut way up. If you cut treble at all, you automatically have a mid hump. It also has a +6dB boost with the Gain turned all the way down.

EDIT: Bad math - a minimum gain of 5.9, that's over 15dB boost

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    MilwMark likes this.
  7. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Meister

You're saying the Lightspeed cuts bass according to the schematic? I can tell you from experience that it certainly does not.

EDIT: Just looked up the PedalPCB Mach1. I didn't realize you were referring to a clone.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  8. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

I've been curious about the Lightspeed myself, but haven't read anyone weigh in on the accuracy of the Mach1.

9. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

according to the schematic it is more or less a bluesbreaker ... bugg doesn't typically get proven wrong in his traces but since he's now running a business he's not exactly dropping schematics over at fsb or diystomp either ... but still I'm pretty meh about it even if the end result is solving other folk's drive problems

10. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Meister

I'm pretty "meh" about 90% of the dirt pedals people rave about. People have different taste/needs/rigs.

11. NWinther

NWinther Tele-Afflicted

Meh...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.