Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Greenback or Blue Pup in Pro Junior IV?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Marshall Thinline, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Marshall Thinline

Marshall Thinline Tele-Holic

Mar 22, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Has anyone put a Greenback or Blue Pup in a Pro Junior IV? If so, what is your opinion?

I’m looking to change the Weber Signature S that I put in my Pro Junior IV. The Greenback and Weber Blue Pup are on my radar. The Signature was a great improvement over the Jensen P10R, but I’m looking for that English midrange chime.

2. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Holic

Oct 17, 2008
    Tujunga California
    If you go for the Blue Pup, be aware that the lower power version is much brighter than the higher power one (if they still offer both versions). The Weber Silver Pup is also well-liked in Fender amps, it is a bit less bright than the Blue.
    Al

schmee likes this.
  3. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Meister

Feb 6, 2018
    Philadelphia, PA
    Eminence Ragin Cajun. Trust me.

4. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Afflicted

Feb 18, 2018
    WV
    Greenback works so well to 'soften' the mid and high frequencies, so it's great for marshalls and voxes. It would not be my first choice for a fender. But I guess PJs are less scooped than BF/SF, so you might be ok. I think I would go with what is more tried and true. Speakers aint cheap, and you can't return them. Just sayin'.

Marshall Thinline likes this.
  5. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Holic

Nov 8, 2012
    SoCal
    I would contact Weber for their thoughts. I'm sure they have encountered this PJ IV question before.

6. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Missoula, Montana
    what are you trying to do by changing it? Greenback 10 has more low end, less bright, very inefficient (95 dB per their web site). I've had weber 12" ceramic blue dog and silver bell in a blues jr (well, two blues juniors) and both felt markedly more efficient (louder) than the stock speaker, though weber doesn't rate the efficiency of their speakers. Blue for sparkle, silver for midrange push -- I like the silver better but I have an AC15 for sparkle. For what you're looking for, ceramic silver pup would be my bet.

7. Marshall Thinline

Mar 22, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I called and sent Weber an email on Tuesday, I have yet to get a reply for them.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    Dukex likes this.
  8. Marshall Thinline

Mar 22, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I’m looking for more lower-mid chime on the open D and G strings...maybe the Silver is the magic ticket...thanks for the suggestion.

9. Marshall Thinline

Mar 22, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    FYI... I set my amps to the point where they start to break up (Think Keith Richards) and back the guitar volume back a pinch until it cleans up (Think Brian Setzer)...My main guitar is a Gretsch Hot Rod with TV Jones Classics...

10. Marshall Thinline

Mar 22, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    After talking to Weber, today I ordered the 30 watt Alnico Blue Pup with light dope. I’m excited to hear it!

11. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Holic

Oct 17, 2008
    Tujunga California
    Good choice, although I would have considered the Silver too. The 30 watt Weber Blue is supposed to be closer in sound to the Celestion than the 15 watt Weber Blue. When they first came out with the 15 watt, people complained it was too bright, so they brought out the 30 watter.
    Al

12. Marshall Thinline

Mar 22, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    After explaining the tone I was looking for, they suggested the Blue Pup. I hope they’re right.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.