Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Green Russion vs Op-Amp Big Muff Quick Comparison

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by telefunken, Jan 3, 2018.

1. telefunken

telefunken Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Dec 27, 2004
    North Hollywood

These two are getting pretty popular and some are asking me for a comparison demo. This one is short and to the point.

2. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Tele-Afflicted

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    Thanks for the demo! I like the green Russian a lot. Lately I've been all "Silicon Fuzz Face is the one true fuzz!!!!" but I really want a Big Muff. I used to have a Black Russian but I sold it.

telefunken likes this.

3. hongaku

hongaku Tele-Afflicted

Dec 14, 2011
    Oakton, VA, USA
    They both sound great! Just gonna have to get both...

jddub440 likes this.

4. jenos

jenos Tele-Meister

Mar 28, 2012
    Columbia, SC
    I was set on getting the Op Amp, but now I am not so sure. The Russian had a better base tone, but I'll have to get my hands on both and play with the tone knob to see for sure!

telefunken likes this.

5. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

Like the Op-amp sound better here but the Russian is creamy for sure.

6. Boubou

Boubou Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jul 30, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    I would say the op-amp could be used as a paper weight.
    The Russian is good

radiocaster and telefunken like this.

7. Just-Jim

Just-Jim Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2008
    SoCal
    Nice demo! I have to say the Russian sounds better. Usually video demos are hard to hear the differences, but they are clearly different in this video. I have my fuzz bases covered, but have to admit I was being drawn in to the hype on these two new pedals.

8. 0utputXfmr

0utputXfmr TDPRI Member

Feb 10, 2018
    York, Pennsylvania
    Cool comparison! The Russian definitely has more of a "meaty" sound, where the op-amp has more of that 1990's "chainsaw" thing going on. I came of age during the mid-90's, and the big alternative/indie/grunge scene had many bands that used at least one of the two, so i consider them both "iconic" in their own ways.

Out of curiosity, has anyone done a comparison between the EHX Green Russian and the Way Huge Russian Pickle?

9. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    Well, there's a youtube search function.

I've looked this up before, but this is pretty new.

Too bad it's only with humbuckers.

There's also an older video, but it's with bass.

By the way, I tried a clone with a Squier CV 50s, the white one (the only guitar with tele pickups I tried it with), and it sounded awful, but it sounded great with other guitars that have single coils.

Sounds good, what guitar did you use for this?

10. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 21, 2003
    Near BWI Int'l
    If someone is going to go with just one Muff "circuit flavor," and they want to stick with something that EHX themselves produced, I'd personally recommend the green Russian over 80% of the time. It's not as mid scooped as most of the other circuit flavors, and the gain/sustain range tends to cover more of the sweet spot.

I can't tell you how many variations on the stock EHX Muffs that I've built over the years (too many), but I can say that I finally found satisfaction when I "blueprinted" my own bubble font green Russian Muff (which I also totally rebuilt).

PairOfRussians.JPG

The fact that EHX has reissued the green Russian themselves, that the circuit correctness is reportedly there, and that the footswitch/jacks/etc. are probably better stuff than the old MIR ones, means that it's probably going to be a good purchasing decision for a lot of players.

Just-Jim and radiocaster like this.

11. 11 Gauge

Mar 21, 2003
    Near BWI Int'l
    He's doing some kind of coil tapping during at least one part of the video. That said, the Muff circuit (really any of them) reduces so much top end that it doesn't matter as much what the pickups are IMO, for the majority of pedal settings. The top end gets re-introduced at the tone circuit, so many users with humbuckers (or any pickups that chop off more treble frequencies) will probably be just fine by cranking the tone knob clockwise just a bit more.

The coolest part about that A/B video is how similar IMO the two pedals sound. Get the EHX if the core sound is the most important part, or spend ~2X for the Way Huge variant, for the perks that it comes with (probably "premium" construction, relay bypass switching, etc.).

12. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    I disagree, it sounds like humbuckers all the way to me except sometimes he lowers the the volume on the guitar.

But I do agree the two sound really close.

13. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's

Dec 29, 2006
    Potsdam, NY
    I'm just glad he wore socks. I hate bare feet in pedal demos. Nasty.

Of the two, I prefer the Green Russian. I'm not much of a Big Muff guy, and already have one that I rarely play, a DIY Triangle. Still, I want a Green Russian just because it looks so totally badass. Besides, it would match my new talkbox:

[​IMG]

14. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

I had one of those Russians back in about '94/'95. I lent it to the singer from the OZ band the Drones and never saw it again (it was a good one). Way more mids than the modern NYC big box Muff. The closest I've found to the Russian is the Moen Fuzz Moo which has enough mids to cut through when played in front of a Fender Twin. It's a little tamer than the old Russian though -- not as wooly perhaps. The NYC big box just disappears in the same context -- contemplating tone bypass mod on that one.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018

15. 11 Gauge

Mar 21, 2003
    Near BWI Int'l
    Actually, following up on the blueprinting of my old bubble font Russian, I went and built one more Muff derivative after it. I tried to go intuitive and gentle on my alterations, which were with the sole intention to focus on mid emphasis. It ended up boiling down to 3 key changes from the overall Russian Muff circuit:
    1. roll off more bass at the high pass filter prior to the clipping stages
    2. decrease the clipping band at the first clipping stage
    3. decrease the value of tone pot
    ...I ended up with something that's probably just a Big Muff in spirit only, but it's proven to be one of the best hot ODs or distortions that I now own (I really wouldn't be brave enough to call it a fuzz). It really gets the mids "just right," especially when I A/B'ed it against my tweaked Marshall 2204.

Long story short is that I finally realized that 95% of the fancy Muff derivatives that have "mode" switches, or extra bells and whistles, just never tend to have a comprehensive re-shaping to go really in the opposite direction from fuzz w/the mids really knocked down...I mean you'll find stuff like the Skreddy P19 that chokes things off at the tone circuit, but it's still kind of a fuzzy vibe. Maybe I went too far in the other direction, but I still ended up with something that I haven't heard in any of my other pedals, even my very non-Muff ones.

...I guess you don't see any companies offering such a Muff as that because it really is a substantial departure from any Muff ever offered, which is a shame, IMO. I think it's a lot more usable than something that just emphasizes mids at the Muff's tone circuit, or bypasses its tone circuit altogether (like you mentioned).

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    wildschwein and artdecade like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.