Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Great Songs in Open G Tuning?!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by castpolymer, Jul 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. castpolymer

castpolymer Poster Extraordinaire

May 27, 2008
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    Now that I have a 5 string Keef Tele that is only used for Open G tuning, what other good songs, other than the Stones, use Open G tuning?

2. fakeocaster

fakeocaster Tele-Afflicted

"Willin" by Little Feat

3. numeric

numeric Tele-Holic

Jan 8, 2008
    Ames, IA
    "Death Letter" - Son House

4. whiskeytown

whiskeytown TDPRI Member

Nov 11, 2007
    Chicago, illinois
    " How I wish " - Keith Richards

5. Darcy Hoover

Darcy Hoover Tele-Holic

Muddy Water's "Rollin' and Tumblin'" and "I Can't Be Satisfied" are two favourites that come to mind.

6. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Tele-Afflicted

May 21, 2006
    Miami, FL
    I'm not sure what, exactly, but there's a few Zeppelin songs. I think "When the Levee Breaks" is in open G, but tuned cown a whole step 'cause they slowed the tape down.

7. castpolymer

castpolymer Poster Extraordinaire

May 27, 2008
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    Does anyone know if the Dandy Warhols tune " Bohemian Like You " is in Open G? It kinda sounds like Brown Sugar to me?

8. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Mar 17, 2003
    albany, ny [not chicago]
    That song is indeed in open F, but it's a different tuning than just tuning down a step from the normal open G. If I remember right, it's FACFCF. Maybe it's FACFAC. Either way, it's awfully tough (and maybe impossible) to get the right chord forms in open G tuned down a step (which would be CBCFAC).

I think that all the good cuts from the Black Crowes' first two albums have a rhythm track in open G.

Don't forget "Can't You Hear Me Knockin'" and "Brown Sugar."

9. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Bakersfield Ca.
    Pretty much all George Thorogood songs are in open G.

10. djdeacon

djdeacon Tele-Meister

Jun 21, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    "Honky Tonk Women"

11. Telecaster Joe

Telecaster Joe Tele-Meister

Not to sound like a jacka$$ but, what notes do you tune to for open G? I am sort of new to open tunings. I sometimes play in open E and open D and have alot of fun with them. Also, what is open A tuning? Thanks.

12. SixStringSlinger

May 21, 2006
    Miami, FL
    D-G-D-G-B-D

Just drop the 6th, 5th and 1st strings a whole step. Open A is the same as open G, but Everyone a whole step higher, i.e. E-A-E-A-C#-E

13. SixStringSlinger

May 21, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Open G down a whole step would be C-F-C-F-A-C (not sure if you meant to stick that B in there). That's the tuning for the transcription I have for "When the Levee Breaks," and the tab looks very simple. All the chords are either open strings or a staight barre across a few strings (some with a slide, some without).

I think it would be harder just to get a guitar tuned that low (actually the reason I've never tried to learn it).

Edit: I should add that this is a tab from a majo guitar magazine, so it's more than likely correct, at least in terms of sounding like the reording.

14. RocksOff

RocksOff Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2006
    Joplin, MO
    Sting Me - Black Crowes

15. DougieLove

DougieLove Tele-Afflicted

"Cursed Diamond" by the Black Crowes.

16. chabby

chabby Friend of Leo's

Jan 11, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Brown Sugar
    Almost every Bonnie Raitt tune she plays slide on she's in open G.
    She was schooled by the players of Little Feat who also use the heck outta open G

Almost ever power riff Keef wrote is in open G

Honky Tonk Women
    Brown Sugar
    Jumpin Jack Flash
    Start Me Up

17. mudshark

mudshark Friend of Leo's

Aug 14, 2003
    Groover's Paradise
    Bad Company - Can't Get Enough of Your Love

18. bruce

bruce Tele-Meister

Apr 26, 2003
    About half of Robert Johnson's stuff.

19. mr tom

mr tom Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    Georgia Satellites, Another Chance (cribbed from The Faces)

20. zombywoof

zombywoof Friend of Leo's

Lordy, there are tons of them. R. L. Burnside's Long Haired Doney and Po' Black Mattie are two of my favorites,

I would not get hung up about about what tunes were originally played in open tuning. Try CCR's Born on the Bayou in Open E, Earle's Copperhead Road in Open D, Amazing Grace in G or D, Cream's version of I'm So Glad in D (which ain't that far of a leap since Skip's version was recorded open D minor). You get some drones, broken chords/double stops, bass runs, percussive effects,and wild staccato single string runs going and some of those old chestnuts can take on new life.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.