Great price on a rare Dr. Z - a good longterm investment maybe?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by joel_ostrom, May 29, 2013.

1. joel_ostrom

joel_ostrom Tele-Afflicted

Browsing my local guitar shop I came across a used Dr. Z Prescription ES 2X12 combo for $1000. Its in great looking shape. I played it and it sounds amazing.

Seriously toying with the notion of snatching this one up. Aside from the fact that it sounds terrific, the thought hits me that this amp is also a bit of a rare find, seeing as how the good Doc no longer makes them.

Anybody think this amp would be worth grabbing up as an investment?
    Any chance it could be worth more down the road as a possible rare/collectors piece?

2. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

I think it's a great amp at a very good price.

But what makes you think this is a rare/investment amp?

THey are still in production. Browse Dr Z page.

PS: if this combo comes with Celestion Blues, I think it could certainly sell easily for $1,200 or more

3. joel_ostrom

joel_ostrom Tele-Afflicted

This amp is loaded with a Celestion G12 Heritage and a Greenback I believe.
    It sounded great with them, so I can't imagine how great it might sound if I swapped those for a pair of Blues. But i'd have to up the wattage or something, a pair of blues is only 30W together. This amp is 45W.

I'm afraid you're mistaken though. I checked the website.
    The Prescription RxES isn't listed under the AMPS section or the PRICES page.

It's also the very first amp listed on the DISCONTINUED page.

But that doesn't necessarily guarantee that it will become more valuable though. That's what i'm wondering.

4. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

I could be very wrong but I wouldnt "invest" in any boutique amp unless I wanted it to use it. It seems like everyone is always looking for the next big thing instead of what has been discontinued. There just isnt a long track record of boutique anything to know.

How I would look at it, look at a price of a 1951 Tweed Deluxe and a 1951 Nocaster. The guitar is worth probably 20x what the amp is. So if anything I would look at investing in a boutique guitar instead.

5. SackvilleDan

SackvilleDan Tele-Holic

I think that at that price you would certainly never lose on it if you tried to sell the amp, but I don't think that it would be a piece that would double in value over the next ten years or anything.

But buy it and enjoy it!!!

6. Dr. Bill

Dr. Bill Tele-Afflicted

Great amp? Yes.

Investment? No.

7. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

You're right, & I can see why. I assumed that there is always a Brad Paisley amp in Z lineup, & this is true indeed, except that the Prescription is replaced with the Stang Ray.

Since both amps are related to a certain artist, & one of them was discontinued & replaced by another amp baring same artist signature or endorsement, using the same base power section, a quartet of EL84s, etc...I think all this detracts from the value of the amp.

Great amp - going nowhere money wise

Grab it if you like that tone

8. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

+1.

9. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Ask the guy whose selling it for $1000 bucks if its been a good investment....?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.