Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Great NAMM news for fans of Prince's T-style guitars...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Lacking Talent, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Tele-Holic

Oct 22, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Stumbled across this on Sunday: looks like Morris/Moridaira is poised to rerelease the H.S. Anderson MADCAT in the U.S. later this year.

[​IMG]

For those that know (and love 'em), these were the pre-Hohner "real deal."

2. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2004
    Greensboro NC
    What's the price on those?

3. Mork

Mork TDPRI Member

Oct 28, 2011
    Wales UK
    Want one! How much guys?

4. Lacking Talent

Oct 22, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Don't know; will have to keep an eye on the Morris website over the next couple months, I guess. :(

5. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    Is that the exact guitar Prince uses? If so, I'd like to buy one? How much?

6. Lacking Talent

Oct 22, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    No idea what the new ones will cost, but here's some history on the model and Prince's use of them over the years: http://www.madcat.ch/.

7. vlammie

vlammie Tele-Meister

Jan 27, 2012
    Belgium
    I played this very one mad cat at NAMM, and I must say, they really nailed it. It feels and sounds exactly the same as my '79 madcat, despite 30 years of wood aging.
    There are some small differences to mine, all for the better imho. Better tuners, modern bridge saddles, different headstock, and most important, the bridge pickup is a tele-style, the old madcats had strat pickups, and especially the original bridge pickup can rip your head of.
    Really, it hurts, I swapped it with a handwired steffsen pickup in mine and its kinda ok now, but I really prefer this 2012 model with a 'regular' bill lawrence tele pickup.

So far for the good news, because Moridaira will only produce a very small number of these madcats. Nice detail, the pickguard material is extremely hard to find, they are still using stock from the 80's.

Anyway, forget about what you might have heard about madcats who are supposed to be heavy cheap tele knock-offs, they are really great hand-built, well-balanced instruments, and I'm pretty sure the biggest part of it's sound is in the wood construction (wallnut center, sen ash wings with maple top & bottoms), hence it's unique sound.
    It plays like a dream, and I really understand why it's still the instrument of choice for mr. Nelson. One of the best kept secrets in guitar history imho.
    It's exactly the same guitar as Prince uses, H.S. anderson made a small batch with hohner logo around '77-'78, but these are even harder to find. The hohner re-issues aren't even close to these.

I'm not a forum-guy, but feel free to send me a mail for more info.

8. muzicmaken

muzicmaken Tele-Holic

Apr 8, 2011
    Wheelersburg, Ohio
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.