Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Great Guitarists You May Not Have Heard Of?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by joshphase90wah, Nov 6, 2014.

1. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    Glenn Phillips.
    The A list is very short.
    The B list is VERY LONG.

2. Flamenco billy

Flamenco billy TDPRI Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Spain

3. Mr Perch

Mr Perch Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2011
    los angeles
    We already heard Mr. Salinas on p. 2. He's good, though.

4. Flamenco billy

Nov 27, 2014
    Spain
    Spanish guitarist El Twanguero!!

TwangToInfinity likes this.

5. Flamenco billy

Nov 27, 2014
    Spain
    More from El Twanguero, pure Latin Twang & Spanish Fingerpicking

TwangToInfinity likes this.

6. Jeff_K

Jeff_K Friend of Leo's

Aug 14, 2009
    Katy, TX
    Stevie Salas is a great funky bluesy player.

Stevie Salas - The Grooveline:

Plumber likes this.

7. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Jun 7, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    I always really enjoyed the way Elliott Smith played, particularly in electric guitar. Underrated.

Also want to +1 whoever brought up Nashville session dudes. Nameless but humble and all killer players.

There's also a guy named Mike Mogis. He's played with tons of indie bands like Bright Eyes and Rilo Kiley. He plays everything but is a really great and subtle guitar player.

8. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    I apologize if this is a repeat, but I'm gonna say Terry Kath. Skip to 2:58 if you're not a fan:

9. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

Just stumbled on this young guy. Had an album out 5 years ago, which Frampton (over) produced, and nothing else since.

10. Jeff_K

Jeff_K Friend of Leo's

Aug 14, 2009
    Katy, TX
    Thanks, Mr. Lumberg. I have watched that video many times and it's just as incredible every time. That solo is just off the charts. I loved Terry Kath...CTA was the first album I bought with my own money. It was already about 5 years old by then but worth every penny. The Kath-era Chicago was so good; Cetera was a rocker then, too.

11. JD0x0

JD0x0 Friend of Leo's

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    The late great Shawn Lane is one of my favorite guitarists and quite possibly one of the most underrated, least known guitarists of his time.

Area51 likes this.

12. cnlbb

cnlbb Tele-Holic

Jun 19, 2014
    United States

13. Mr Perch

Mr Perch Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2011
    los angeles

14. hshight

hshight Tele-Meister

May 25, 2010
    near Memphis
    There's a guy in Jackson, TN named Chuck McGill. Incredible talent, electric, acoustic, steel, sax - probably more and excels at each. Mulligan's every Friday night. No relation to him (just friends) or the bar, but if you're in the area check him out. Band is called Bandstand Review.

15. Mr Perch

Mr Perch Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2011
    los angeles

16. Jon C

Jon C Tele-Meister

Mar 16, 2003
    Mid-Atlantic USA
    He is superb.

17. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Agreed man, their old stuff is great. So many good songs. Cetera did actually rock back in the day, but then took Chicago on the path of love ballads, got rid of the horn section for the most part... That isn't Chicago. They'd probably still be real rockers if Kath hadn't killed himself. It's a shame.

18. dman

dman Tele-Afflicted

Sep 28, 2008
    Antioch, IL

Matt Rae. I had the good fortune to be in Connecticut at our relatives' house for Thanksgiving and caught a lesson with Matt. Plays like a madman (as you can see from this video) and is one heckuva nice guy, to boot. He even let me play through his vintage Vibrolux (sweet!)

19. t_duke

t_duke TDPRI Member

Nov 21, 2009
    at home
    Lightnin' Alley: Root Boy Slim`s lead guitarist. Listen to Three cool cats. Don`t forget Root Boy`S - INFLATABLE DoLL, MOTEL OF love, 'She wants to move in .....

20. Area51

Area51 Tele-Meister

Nov 4, 2016
    New Mexico
    This is tough on because the really obscure players are hard to track down,,,, even with google! I think most the best obscure players are playing backup for bigger names.

For instance, I saw a G3 show and Mike Keneally put down the keys and played guitar with Vai on a few songs. That guy was at a G3 level. There are a few other shows with headline names that had great backup players.

A lot of them mentioned so far are semi-obscure:twisted:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.