Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Great Guitarists You May Not Have Heard Of?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by joshphase90wah, Nov 6, 2014.

1. yanick

yanick TDPRI Member

Feb 21, 2009
    montreal
    So many So many...

All the guitars players on the "Wrecking crew", The "Funk Brothers", Nashville "A-teams"... Between these 25 or so guitar players you have 80% of "modern music" hits, yet to most they are unknown...

In the power pop/post punk genre: Paul Westerberg and Bob Mould.

And finally, french canadian country guitar hero (he passed away a few years ago) Bobby hachey... If you have a chance, try to get his intrumental compilation... Excellent!!!

Attached Files:

TwangToInfinity and J Hog like this.

2. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's

Richard Bennett from Mark Knopfler's band.

3. jmclaren

jmclaren Tele-Holic

Apr 21, 2004
    Southern California
    Jim Weider - One of my favorite Tele players

Ignore the video but listen to the tune. It's called Bigfoot.

4. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Feb 24, 2005
    FL
    Rick Vito. My favorite work of his is on Roy Orbison's "(All I Can Do Is) Dream You" (recorded version - not the live 'Black and White Night' version). Worth a listen if you've never heard it.

5. Newbie Brad

Newbie Brad Tele-Meister

Oct 15, 2014
    Nashville

+1

J Hog likes this.

6. Slidedude

Slidedude Tele-Holic

Apr 6, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    +2

Rick Vito is amazingly soulful. GREAT player!

7. BopT

BopT Tele-Afflicted

Feb 6, 2011
    Chicago
    Amos Garrett Paul Butterfield Better Days and the solo from "Midnight at the Oasis" for Maria Muldaur.

8. harold h

harold h Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2004
    Jamie West-Oram

Charlie Burchill

Robbie Blunt

9. Jim W

Jim W Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    +1 for Amos Garrett and Rick Vito.

J Hog likes this.

10. brenn

brenn Tele-Afflicted

Dec 8, 2013
    Kentucky
    I have posted him many times before: Zhenya Kolykhanov, a founding member of the Red Elvises. Here's a song from the soundtrack of Six String Samurai:

Also, I have often said that Bob Burriss, who makes Burriss Amps, is one of my favorite rockabilly guitarists, but I can't find any online examples of him playing. I have his band's CD. Here is Bob playing a little, but it's mostly the guy with eh Les Paul (Bob is playing the tele)

11. '64 Tele

'64 Tele Tele-Holic

Mar 8, 2013
    NW Arkansas
    Donnie Thompson (aka D. Clinton Thompson) of Springfield, Mo. (Skeletons, Morells, Symptoms)...this guy is the reason I bought a Tele.

Much of my misspent youth (college years) spent seeing him in the Symptoms, Morells, Skeletons. Tele and a Deluxe Reverb was all I ever saw him use.

Great rock n roll, rockabilly, country all with GREAT chops and humor. Great, really obscure covers and original material, too. Sadly, Lou Whitney (studio owner/engineer/producer), the bass player, passed away recently.

12. chipwich

chipwich Tele-Meister

Aug 15, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Completely agree. Have very much admired Thomas' understated style ever since getting into instro-surf.

13. koosh

koosh Tele-Meister

Oct 7, 2014
    USA
    i'd say Jake Cinninger from umphreys mcgee
    got to see a live show to really appreciate the improv and genre hopping they do.

14. Broadmoor74

Broadmoor74 Tele-Meister

Sep 6, 2014
    Louisiana
    Man, good to see another CoC fan on here. I love Woody and Pepper Keenan (perhaps my favorite hard rock guitarist) together. It's like a bluesy Sabbath guitar utopia. I don't consider myself a metalhead in the slightest, but i'll always listen to Deliverance and In The Arms Of God. They are masterpieces, IMO.

15. Flamenco Kid

Flamenco Kid Tele-Meister

Jan 3, 2008
    Maryland
    Not exactly unknown; but not known widely -- here's a young Tomatito

16. 6942

6942 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 15, 2006
    Santa Fe, NM
    I had a guitar teacher years back, who was a very fine classical guitarist.....Candice Mowbray.
    My daughter and I took a guitar class with her, at Hagerstown Community College in Western Maryland.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.