Great guest appearance on Gunsmoke

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Tomm Williams, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Holic

Just finished watching an episode of Gunsmoke with a guest appearance of a very young Burt Reynolds ! Looks like he must have been in his mid 20’s? I’d never seen him in anything looking this young.

Stubee and Lake Placid Blue like this.
  2. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Burt played Quint Asped 1962-65 for 50 episodes. That would have been age 27 in 1962, initial one filmed in 1961 perhaps...

Did he do an earlier episode that that?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  3. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Holic

I guess I don’t know my Gunsmoke history !!!

4. robt57

Asper, typo there...

5. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

I liked Gunsmoke at 9-11 years old.
    I remember one episode clearly:
    Festus = always the comic sidekick... he was abducted, the criminals tortured him. At 9 years old I was sure he would cave... nope. Festus was a hero, Matt Dillon caught wind they had his friend... bad day for bad guys.

6. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

before Festus there was Chester who walked with a limp , calling Mr. Dillon. Mr. Dillon that was a very young Dennis Weaver, Segorny Weavers father

7. 24 track

8. robt57

Ken Curtis. If you see other acting he has done the normal inflections seem odd after hearing the Haggen Drawl...

tomkatf, 6stringcowboy and Tele-beeb like this.
  9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Sorry....according to Wikipedia, Sigourney Weaver's father is NOT Dennis Weaver. (unless her mother was fooling around on her husband, Pat Weaver)

10. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Meister

He also appeared in an episode of the original Twilight Zone back in 1963, he played kind of a Marlon Brando "Streetcar named Desire" type actor. Kind of a parody with Jack Weston as a playwright, with William Shakespeare's help...no really!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  11. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I believe he was the blacksmith.

Jimmy Owen likes this.
  12. 24 track

thank you for correcting my bad!
    and to think I've been sending Christmas cards to the wrong people all these years!
    that family used to weave tangled tales, LOL

James Arness who played Matt Dillon, his brother was Peter Graves who had his own Western series called whiplash set in the australian outback alxo James Arness was the monster in the original movie version of the thing

latest.jpg

13. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

dennis hopper was a gunsmoking for he was a pot smokin n hawg ridin:)

Greggorios likes this.
  14. REWTX

REWTX TDPRI Member

Ken Curtis-Festus was quite the singer also.

15. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I remember Dennis Weaver from a bunch of stuff (although not from Gunsmoke). But I never knew that he was Sigourney Weaver's father. So I looked them both up just to see if they had some sort of interesting story about how he got her interested in acting or something. But they're actually not related. He and his wife had three sons, no daughters. Her father was a TV exec (and according to Wikipedia, a television "pioneer") named Pat Weaver. But I'm glad I looked him up - he was a more interesting guy than I realized...

And regarding Festus, he was the main reason I liked Gunsmoke as a kid. I wasn't all THAT into westerns generally. But I thought his character was hilarious. I used to walk around the house as a little kid talking like him. "Well Marshall".... I could probably still pull it off but nobody would know who I was trying to sound like anymore...

-Ray

Greggorios and nojazzhere like this.
  16. Ducerro

Ducerro Tele-Meister

Harrison Ford also appeared on episodes of Gunsmoke. The ones I recall he was always an outlaw.

Greggorios likes this.
  17. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Sam the bartender, played by Glenn Strange - who replaced Boris Karloff as Frankenstein’s Monster, was a good fiddle player and actually played in several episodes.

Chunkocaster and Greggorios like this.
  18. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

James Arness was a surfer way before surfing was cool, and his son Rolf won the world champs contest in Orstralia circa 1970.

19. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

klugman.jpg

I was friends with the assistant film editor for "Gunsmoke" and later the "Laverne and Shirley" tv show. He actually kept most of the film that was cut out of both shows and had them on reels. We used to watch them all the time and listen to his stories about working on both shows. The one that stands out was a fantastic episode with Jack Klugman playing the kid brother of a famous outlaw gunfighter. He idolized his brother and in the end there is a showdown in the street between Marshall Dillon and the older brother. Dillon, of course, draws first and kills the brother. The original cut shows Dillon firing and then a long close-up on Klugman's face as he gives the most emotionally crushed look for several seconds prior to walking over, placing his brother into the wagon, and riding away slowly.

Klugman was an amazing actor and the scene was very powerful, but James Arnes went to the studio with contract in hand and demanded that he receive his cameo time as specified in the contract. He threw a big fit over it so the studio had to remove all of Klugman's brilliant scene and replace it with just Marshall Dillon standing there posed with a smoking gun in his hand until the wagon rides away. The man was a dick!!

The one thing that I never knew the answer to was how did Festus get that limp? I used to watch the show a lot as well as these great deleted scenes yet I never knew if they explained how he was injured.

Chunkocaster, RodeoTex and nojazzhere like this.
  20. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Buck gets my vote for most interesting trivia in this thread.

Chunkocaster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.