Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Great Comments On What Makes A Guitar Player Sound Like They Do

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Andy Summers, Apr 11, 2012.

1. jazztele

jazztele Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 19, 2006
    chicago
    I don't get why guitar players always need to get so philosophical about this stuff.

Equipment produces a sound. A player plays with a certain style. These two things come together to form an identity.

2. bonefish

bonefish Tele-Holic

Aug 6, 2007
    Whitewood, SD
    say what you will about the quote, but "Noctourniquet" is a bloody brilliant play on words!

3. chrisgblues

chrisgblues Tele-Afflicted

May 31, 2010
    Halifax
    I'm actually pretty sure that's what he was referring to. He was using the example of gear to tell us that we are focusing on the wrong thing entirely. I don't think he was referring to tone at all. When he said "sound"...all us guitar nerds naturally assume that "sound=tone" but I think he meant "sound=music". Sometimes we use words with a bigger/different meaning.

What I think he was trying to say is that Jimi pulled off the right notes at the right times with the right lyrics due to all the influences (positive and negative) that made him the brilliant talent that he was.

Basically, your unique past inspires you to create art in a unique way. I agree.

JMHO.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity

Everything in a player's head has something to do with their eventual sound.

In Jimi's case I'm gonna say being up to the eyeballs in hallucinogenic drugs would be the primary motivator if I was going to get all armchair psychobabble on it.

Stoned Shredder, is how I'd pigeonhole the guy. :D

6. beep.click

beep.click Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 7, 2007
    California
    I'd have to agree. Sadly, however -- if I were to try it -- I'd probably just sit in a corner and drool on myself.

7. bigmuff113

bigmuff113 Friend of Leo's

Jan 22, 2012
    San Antonio tx
    Joe bonamossa

8. jazztele

jazztele Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 19, 2006
    chicago
    Maybe what people think is emotion is really a good use of a pentatonic scale and a personalized vibrato.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.