Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Grateful Dead doc opinion roundup...

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Mike Eskimo, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Variously and not in order (much like the movie...:lol: )

- Biggest thing that leapt out at me as a huge and very long time Dead fan (not Dead Head) : there is an ass-load of performance footage that they are just sitting on. From many eras. Put it out fellas - before yer all dead with a small "d".

- The post-Touch of Grey crowds/scene/gigs look really bad and malevolent. Reinforces my decision to not be part of it. The music/performances/live mixes were also way more spotty than good for a loooong time.

- The doc functions more as an intro to the GD than as something someone very into them would deem as definitive. Maybe that was the intent. If so - mission accomplished.

- I would have liked a Petty style in-depth/chronolgical thing but that's just me.

Think I'll listen to the sloppy but brilliant Englishtown today. Have been also delving into '73-'74 quite a bit.

And learning more of their songs.

So - see the movie if you want and, if you want to, offer your opinion here...

2. Ducksteino

Ducksteino TDPRI Member

Jan 26, 2011
    NY
    Oh, jeez, I wanted to see the movie. I'll do that soon & get back to you! But I will vote up your 73/74 ... I love that era.

3. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    Movie? What movie?

(Edit) Oh wait, are we talking about the "documentary" on Amazon? I saw the first three segments; I found it all very dark, and a little creepy. It's nice to see some of the old video, but they obsessed on the drugs and weirdness, and kinda missed how fun and cheerful it all was back then. Whatever...

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    Chip likes this.

4. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    Just when the Dead became mega popular was post "Touch of Grey". So if a film gives an impression of bad vibes, it was not like that here, at least right away. Washington and Philadelphia shows were all great in the 80s. Later, a year or 2 before Jerry died, in the 90s, the band wasn t as good and the audience was drinking instead of tripping.

5. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    Basically, I had the same feelings. Not in depth enough. I was hoping it would be the documentary version of Dennis McNally's biography of the band. But from what I've heard from heads over the years, even McNally left a lot out. There were dark things going on in and a round the band even in the early 70's. I wonder if there's a desire on some parts to sweep that under the rug.

Anyway. I too would prefer an in-depth chronological treatment. Phil Lesh made an observation about the documentary - "It's only telling part of the story."

6. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    It may have been that way in the audience, but if you read enough of the biographies/autobiographies, it becomes apparent there was a darkness in the band even early on. One person close to the band, a family member if I recall, said they weren't anything like the hippie scene that surrounded them, that they were dark and sarcastic people. Mountain Girl spoke of how ugly things became when cocaine began to show up at the beginning of the 70's.

Mickey Hart is a seriously messed up person. He did somethings that were beyond the pale. Some of it is well known, others not quite so.

7. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    Yeah, that's prolly all true, but we went to shows for the music and for each other, not because we were looking for a role model on how to live our lives. When Jerry was in the zone, no-one cared a fig about what Mickey did in his spare time, or whether someone made a sarcastic comment backstage; it was pure fun and awesomeness. It's sad that they focused in on tragico-voyeuristic titilleaceous crap, leaving viewers wondering what was so great about it. Bozos.

Chip likes this.

8. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    I watched the first episode (of what, six?), maybe half the second, and then wandered away. Pretty sure I'll watch it at some point, just doesn't seem pressing, even in the dog dayz of summer when there's nothing on TV... hmm ...

The soundtrack, however, was awesome :D

Edit: Interesting... I greatly enjoyed McNally's book... but I never finished it. I read up to '84, I guess. Which is about the time I attended my last show. Didn't care for the changing scene. Or Brent.

9. adamsappel

adamsappel Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Jun 8, 2008
    Maryland
    Repeating what I said in another thread: Although fascinated by what was there, I was ultimately disappointed with it. Only six episodes long, the documentary spends so much time on the early years of the band that there's huge chunks of history completely left out: the couple of years the band played without Mickey Hart due to his father's mismanagement of the band, no mention of Godcheaux's death, Brent Mydland only mentioned once because he died, no Vince Welnick or Bruce Hornsby coverage, no Tapers, most of the studio albums are ignored, (not much) Robert Hunter, one of Jerry's girlfriends is prominent but not his wives (I dislike when documentaries pretend the people who declined to collaborate don't even exist). It's 1973! Now it's 1987! Now Jerry's dead! I thought each episode was really well made, but they neglected to tell another four episodes worth of story.

Chip likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.