Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Grain Filler under Tru Oil?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by ctelep, Mar 16, 2009.

1. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

2. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    That oil finishes won't yeild a gloss finish in nonsense, as the pics posted have shown. But my bigger point is that THE FASTEST means I've ever found to fill and level pores in open grained woods like walnut, is to wet sand thinned varnish slurry into those pores. And I mean just varnish. There's nothing special about Tru-Oil, though it's achieved a mild cult following here (and there's nothing wrong with that), but othe products like Waterlox, etc, work fine. And if anyone decides to use sanded in Tru-oil to level pores you're gooing to have to thin it at least 1-3 oil to mineral spirits before it's thin enough, probably a bit more. Best of luck - Oil (which really means "varnish" or even these days) is great. Probably the biggest advantage of lacquer is its repaiability, though "oil" is probably in second place in this department.
    Best to all,
    rex

3. JDiCanio

JDiCanio NEW MEMBER!

Jun 2, 2015
    Florida
    I'm looking to stain and then finish with tru oil. Do I need to use the filler before or after I stain? I am using a water based stain.

4. Speedy454

Speedy454 Tele-Meister

Oct 1, 2013
    Highland, IL
    grain fill, sand with 320, repeat until dead flat. Then stain, then finish.

make sure filler and stain are compatible. Stain should be able to pigment the filler as well as the wood.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.