Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Grain filler on side of fretboard mistake

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Matt1011, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Matt1011

Matt1011 TDPRI Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Rockaway, NJ
    So when I did the grain filler on my V I got some where I didn't want it on the side of my fretboard. I stained the filler so it looks kinda ugly and I'm looking for advice on if it can be removed or should I stain over it with a fretboard stain? It's rosewood.

Attached Files:

2. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

Apr 11, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    What kind/brand is the grain filler?
    Gene

3. Matt1011

Matt1011 TDPRI Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Rockaway, NJ
    The stuff from stew mac. Water based neutral.

4. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

Apr 11, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    Warm water, stiff toothbrush, damp terry cloth rag, and repeat as necessary!
    Gene

5. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    If there's nothing over it mask the finished area and try a dark touchup marker - it should take. It may take a few applications to hide the goof.

If there's clear over it you can try a dark toning lacquer (if the finish is lacquer), but will have to be very careful of melting into the neck finish - even masking won't prevent it if you apply material too heavily.

I would not scrub with a toothbrush - or anything else - new to the next finish, and specifically would not get water anywhere near a coated/uncoated masking line!

6. Matt1011

Matt1011 TDPRI Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Rockaway, NJ
    Thank you so much. I was thinking that route but wanted to explore options. It's not finished there per se. It's been a long arduous journey as this is my first build from scratch. I had the stain all finished and even a couple coats of sanding sealer done when I went to install the ferrules. When I did, them being a press fit I didn't make the holes big enough and wound up splitting the body ever so slightly from the crotch to the bridge pickup cavity. So I glued that but had to sand the body back down but I didn't do all of the edges so it's been a color matching job from hell. I only did the top and back and the crotch. This is what I have so far. I'm hoping the sealer fixes the crotch color as it did kind of brighten it up initially like the surrounding areas that are pictured. Oh and don't mind my poor attempt at the intonation. That's a whole other story. Turns out slotting the nut is harder than I anticipated. I didn't realize that the slots had to be so precise. Thanks again for the tip!

Attached Files:

7. Matt1011

Matt1011 TDPRI Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Rockaway, NJ
    Thank you. I'll give that a shot if the color match marker suggestion doesn't pan out.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.