Gotoh tuner install help needed

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by scarhawk, Apr 15, 2013.

1. scarhawk

scarhawk TDPRI Member

Hi. This is the first time I try to install anything on my guitar, and I decided to swap out my old vintage Kluson tuners on my MIJ '57 Strat for some Gotoh Vintage style locking tuners. They came with a set of 6 of those cylinder metal pieces but no nuts/flat washers, and my strat didn't have any nuts/washers when I went to take out the tuners. So, I just decided to install the tuners straight in and screw them in (there was a metal ring in the headstock holes that seemed to be permanently secured though). But when I go to restring the guitar, it is very difficult to actually get it going and when I do I get horrible fret buzz throughout.

I'm not exactly sure how to proceed so I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thank you.

2. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Those metal things on the front of the headstock are called Bushings. They are press fit, and do not screw or bolt down. They simply fit snuggly into the hole. You can remove them by pushing them out from the back using a screwdriver or other cylindrical object that will fit in the hole and push them out.

Most of those press fit bushings have an 11/32" outside diameter and an inside diameter of 1/4". However, they have varried over the years.

If your tuners are not operating smoothly, I would be willing to bet your bushings are too tight, or slightly crooked.

Visually appraise them from the side to make sure they fit flush to the peghead, and are not crooked.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are several reasons that your guitar maybe buzzing after a string change.
    1. Loose bushings or the tuner shafts don't fit the old bushings.
    2. Loose screws holding the turning machines unsecurely to the neck.
    3. The locking tuners do not have significant down angle over the nut compared to your last tuners.

3. Rhomco

Rhomco Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Get a 5/16 dowel

Get a 5/16 diameter dowel and cut it off about two inches long. You will use it to push out the old tuner ferrules. Remove the Gotoh tuners and set them aside. Push out the ferrules using the dowel to ram them out from the back side of the headstock. You may have to tap the dowel with a hammer. Ream out the tuner holes to accept the shaft of the Gotoh tuners and install them the correct way. All better now!
    Good luck on your project,
    Rob

4. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

What Rob said. And what Colt said too.

Use some heat on those bushings to soften the bond with the wood and finish. Just tapping or pressing them out often results in bits of finish coming off on the bushing.

5. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

I think I recently read where with the locking Gotohs you need to use the bushings they came with?

6. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

The locking Gotohs (SD91MG, Allparts TK-0779-001) afaik are 6mm post which is different to the standard split post versions which are 1/4" (6.35mm).
    6mm is the standard size used on Far Eastern instruments so in theory there shouldn't be a problem with the existing bushes.

Attached Files:

7. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Great clarification!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.