Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Gotoh Bridge with Bigsby?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Strato50, Dec 6, 2017 at 5:08 PM.

1. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2017
    Port Arthur TX

2. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    I'd use the proper Tele Bigsby kit personally, the roller saddles do a far better job of keeping tune.

3. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2017
    Port Arthur TX
    I wanted to not have to mount more studs in the body...seen a lot like this...and it has locking tuners installed on it...I looked at the bigsby bridge first.

4. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 21, 2006
    Vienna, Austria
    That bridge should work very well!

Friends don't let friends use roller bridges!

AngelDeville and Colors like this.

5. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2017
    Port Arthur TX

6. RomanS

Jun 21, 2006
    Vienna, Austria
    OK, to expand a bit on this:
    I have various guitars with Bigsbys (both Teles and other types - I have Bigsby B3, B5, B11 and B16-equipped guitars in use, as well as one with a Mosrite-type trem that functions a lot like a B3), with various types of bridges - they all have their pro's and con's, the only consistent thing is that roller bridges don't work as intended, and cause their own set of problems (eg. strings popping out of the rollers when doing Travis picking or hitting them to agressively).
    Types of roller bridges I have tried: TuneOmatic-style ones with little rollers instead of saddles (two different brands); the Wilkinson streamlined (rounded edges) TuneOMatic with roller saddles; a Mosrite-style roller bridge (which was the best of the bunch, except for the narrow string spacing).
    The rollers on roller bridges simply don't roll (which makes sense, as there is a lot less friction between the string and the roller, than between the roller and it's axle) - the strings just slide across the rollers, as they would on a solid bridge (provided it has correctly filed string grooves - no V-shaped notches, but nicely rounded ones with smooth edges); and a solid bridge won't suck sustain and tone, as roller bridges invariably do.
    Personally, I can recommend the Duesenberg-branded TuneOMatics, which have very smooth, solid stainless steel saddles; or if you're really serious about tone, and aren't a stickler for 1000% perfect intonation all the way up to the dusty regions of the fretboard, use a solid Compton (or TrueArc) bar bridge!

Something else to consider:
    Since you posted that Tele-style ashtray bridge, I presume you are going to use a Bigsby B5 - the BIG selling argument for that one is that, if used with a notched 3-saddle Tele ashtray bridge you DON'T have to shim the neck, and your Tele will still sound exactly like it did without a Bigsby.
    But if you want to use another type of bridge (TOM, roller or not, Jazzmaster, as in the Fender kit, bar bridge) - you WILL have to shim the neck (a lot!), and your tone WILL change - so, in that case, why use a B5 at all, you might go straight to a B16, which has MUCH nicer, softer trem lever action than the B5!

Flakey, BorderRadio and AngelDeville like this.

7. AngelDeville

AngelDeville Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2007
    Albuquerque
    I buy the cheap Korean version of that bridge for mine.

Strato50 and RomanS like this.

8. RomanS

Jun 21, 2006
    Vienna, Austria
    Oh, and here's another neat trick if you're set on the B5: before mounting it, remove the sleeve from the axle of that extra pressure bar; that way, your strings will pass through slightly higher above the surface of the guitar, and will have a less steep (but still quite sufficient) break angle on the saddles - but slightly softer trem lever action...

BorderRadio likes this.

9. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2017
    Port Arthur TX
    Where?...these are I could find that were good and affordable.

AngelDeville likes this.

10. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2017
    Port Arthur TX
    Here it is...I think the Gotoh will work out ok....the wife said put on my Xmas list...:)

Attached Files:

BorderRadio and RomanS like this.

11. RomanS

Jun 21, 2006
    Vienna, Austria
    Yup, that Gotoh will definitely work; and considereing the fact that it has nice compensated & grooved (very important for Bigsby use!) saddles, and already has the back edge notched, the price is quite good. Sure, you could get a Korean Wilkinson bridge for about half the price, but you'd need to notch the saddles & file down the back edge of the ashtray yourself...
    BTW, make sure to mount the B5 as far away from the bridge, as close to the back ege of the body as possible, to reduce the break angle & soften the trem leer action!

AngelDeville and Strato50 like this.

12. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2017
    Port Arthur TX
    Exactly...thanks for all your help Roman! My wife just ordered it for me.

RomanS likes this.

13. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2017
    Port Arthur TX

14. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2017
    Port Arthur TX
    Cool...will do...how does the tone change...any loss of sustain?....sorry for all the questions...lol

15. RomanS

Jun 21, 2006
    Vienna, Austria
    With a B5 and an ashtray bridge, the tone stays almost exactly the same. You'd really hard pressed to notice a difference!

AngelDeville and Strato50 like this.

16. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2017
    Port Arthur TX
    Great ...this guitar is a really twang banger!...can't wait to have a Bigsby on it.

RomanS likes this.

17. AngelDeville

Dec 27, 2007
    Albuquerque
    Check reverb too, they pop up for under $20, but I definitely prefer the ones with the slotted barrels. I'm pretty sure I have a Gotoh marked Korean one.

The Fender kits with the Jaguar bridge suck. We put a Tuna-Matic bridge on my sons Jaguar.

18. AngelDeville

Dec 27, 2007
    Albuquerque
    Ohh I didn't notice the one you listed already has the back notched, AND you are replacing a six saddle.

Buy that sumbiatch!

RomanS knows what the hell he is talking about.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.