Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Got in a new Original Vintage 60s Tele... What a disappointment!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Robby5323, Mar 14, 2018.

1. TELE_BLUES

TELE_BLUES Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

This was probably a return,they just keep sending it til it doesn't come back.

FirTrader and TeleTown like this.

2. Cazualwhiteguy

Cazualwhiteguy Tele-Meister

Feb 21, 2017
    Minneapolis, MN
    Bummer, neck pocket could be better but 3 credit cards..? Sure doesn't look that bad. 3 credit cards is about the width of a fret, looks about 1/3 of that.

rich815, Badger06 and 8barlouie like this.

3. Neck pocket doesn't bother me that much, it's the G/D/A strings... I think a setup could fix it but for that price it should be ready to go once you get it in your hands. Notice how the strings are not lined up over the bridge pickup poles.

4. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    Pretty much what I have come to expect from FMIC - the cheapest junk at the highest price. Sad but true.

The AVRI and Artist models have been the exception. I'm wondering if that's now changed.

5. Robby5323

Robby5323 TDPRI Member

Apr 26, 2003
    I guess this is the main point of my posting. Could a perfect setup from a really great luthier address some of these problems? Yes, maybe. But, for the kind of money these guitars are being sold at, shouldn’t the guitar be free from these types of issues from the factory? This is supposed to be the top of the line short of custom shop level. Falls way short. The return is no problem, and will be going back today freight covered buy the retailer. My roadworn telecaster’s fit and overall playability knocked this guitar out of the water.

6. Pickin N Grinin

Pickin N Grinin Tele-Meister

Mar 9, 2008
    New Jersey U.S.A.
    The greatest setup in the world ain't gonna change the weight. A 9 lb. Tele is just ridiculous, and especially at that price point.

Ben-Zion likes this.

7. About a month ago I picked up a NOS Fender 60th Anniversary 1954 Strat - granted it was made 4 years ago but it came in fantastic shape, just perfect. The list price was $2499, I picked it up for $1029. It's for sure a keeper and I'd do it again, no doubt for the silly price I got it at. I would have expected the same quality for yours as well.

20180216_143815.jpg 20180216_143807.jpg

boris bubbanov likes this.

8. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    You should probably return it--it's not what you want.

People want the tele to be some kind of precision crafted instrument. it's not. It's a crude beast by design. it's fixable on the fly.

I think probably your neck is out of alignment. You know what lots of people do with teles? They loosen the neck screws slightly and then push/pull the neck slightly till the strings align. Then retighten the neck screws. I've done it 100 times. I know it makes Gibson guys cry but it's part of the design of the tele. I had one fall over in the gig bag the other day, knocked the neck out of alignment. it's fixable. Nothing broke. All good.

You can also just...move the saddles a little bit. I done this many times, like after any string change--I take like a screwdriver and using the side push the saddles to the left or the right, so the path from the string hole is a straight line to the saddle and it's not hitting a screw. Done! Yes, the original tele bridge is an extremely crude piece of work--stamped steel and pieces of rod stock. Many peple would argue the six saddle tele bridge is a huge improvement, but you bought the vintage model with all the quirks and oddities of the original

I don't know why people obsess about the neck pocket fit, but they do. The thing to consider here--really, the actual thing to consider--is how it sounds. The neck pocket does not actually make any sound. No one hearing you play will ever say "wow that guys' neck pocket is too big by the width of a credit card!" That will never happen.

The tele is a powerful but simple tool, designed for the real world, not an object of art designed to be babied.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018

9. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    I guess I come from a different perspective than a lot of folks here. I have 4 guitars that I can gig, one of those was given to me by a fan, two were under $200, and the one I play most of the shows with unless a string breaks mid-set was over a thousand.

I had to mess with all of them to get them to work for me for shows. I suppose if my main tele was stolen I would go wherever I would have to go in order to replace it, as it's my livelihood.

For today's gig I'm leaving for in just a few minutes, I'm taking all four because I've done about 7 shows on my main tele on the same set of strings out of necessity. I have barely enough money to cover the tolls and gas, those guitars have to be right or I'm screwed so far from home.

It would be nice to have the dough to afford nicer guitars and stuff, but for me they are tools that just need to work for my application, which is a little finicky, so I don't think I could take a chance on an ordered guitar.

10. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    That is the worst bridge configuration I have ever seen. In fact, it is a conundrum how the various aspects could even be. Then again, look how tight that fretboard grain is.
    Best guess is first and foremost those saddles are formed incorrectly, and possibly bridge and or neck misalignment.

11. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Holic

Sep 21, 2009
    Cologne, Germany
    Send it back buy a Classic 60s MEX or a MIJ and add a nice Fender Amp for the rest of the money

Greets

12. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Meister

Dec 24, 2015
    Birmingham, AL
    Not quite in the same price point as yours, but I decided I wanted a USA Strat recently. I loved the features on the American Pro and missed my old sunburst Highway One so I bought a very lightly used sunburst Am Pro. It still had the plastic on the pickguard and didn't have a scratch on it. It was setup poorly, probably from the factory as it didn't appear to be played or touched much by the previous owner. The thing I couldn't get over was that they used a 4 piece body on a translucent finished guitar. What were they thinking??? The grain didn't really match up well so you could see four chunks of wood glued together. Am I crazy for thinking this is ridiculous for a $1400 new instrument (I bought used and didn't pay that).

There was a sonic grey HSS American Pro that was also very lightly used on another site that I decided to take a chance on. It was perfect. I ended up liking the SSS from the sunburst one better than the HSS so I swapped pickguards. Now I'm very happy.

I'll probably take a hit on the burst one when I move it on though because it's ugly and not original anymore. You'd think that on a high-end guitar, Fender would take a little more care selecting the bodies on their translucent models. That body would have been perfectly fine for a solid color.

13. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

Mar 25, 2007
    Chicagoland
    They didn't thread the saddles on these?

grolan1 likes this.

14. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    Well, you certainly come from a different perspective than me :) I have 9 Telecasters and never gig, but I do enjoy working on them and getting them playing and sounding great. None of them are close $2k. My Les Paul on the other hand is and I had to order that online because I could not find anything like it locally.

1955 likes this.

15. Rayf_Brogan

Rayf_Brogan TDPRI Member

Dec 14, 2017
    Washington
    Did you buy this directly from Fender or through someone like GC or Sam Ash? Return it and get a new one. Either way you'll still need a setup. While they might get close on the action and intonation, Fender isn't going to do much to the nut, which is probably what's causing the sitar sound.

16. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Yup.

Unless it is 50% off or something. Or the seller is a trusted friend. I know people who can't/ won't buy themselves, so they get their old bandmate in Chicago or Cousin Pete (who was a better musician always) and let them be your proxy. I know I've been quite demanding, buying a guitar for an absent friend - don't wanna lose a friendship over a careless buying decision.

Or, if you know how to address things yourself and pay more attention to the feel of the instrument, its majestic voice, the way it balances, and not so much the kinds of things (like a neck pocket gap) that I would assume you could've asked for pictures of before you committed to this particular example. Or, these people who return 2 out of every 3 guitars they've ever had sent to them. Some people think this is normal, but to me it sounds nuts.

Cheap guitars, like a Classic 60s for $ 340, yeah I'll buy long distance. And I take what I get (which was normally better than expected). From there, the more you spend, the more imperative you INSURE your guitar by selecting it in person.

1955 likes this.

17. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    I wish there was a love button I would use it for this post. Every single Fender and facsimile guitar I've ever purchased required a setup done by yours truly. Most of them had neck alignment issues just like yours. Heck, the last retailer was in disbelief when I pointed out to him the neck was misaligned. He went on to check the rest of his guitars he had in stock and they were all over the place! And that's just neck alignment. Don't even get me started with nut setup, action, etc.

The only guitar I've ever purchased that didn't require a full setup out of the box is my Ron Kirn T. And even that was setup way too low for my taste.

My number one Strat I bought having played prior to purchase and seeing the bottom E was 1/8 inch from the edge and the top e was practically falling off the board. Other than that, it played and sounded beautifully. It took me less than 30 minutes to turn it into a love machine.

boris bubbanov and maxvintage like this.

18. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    I can promise you a screwdriver will not fix this. But it can be fixed.

19. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Sep 20, 2005
    Kansas City
    I'm not giving Fender a 100% pass, but as Boris B. and a few others have said this is an issue with any un-slotted, un-compensated round saddle. Move the string a bit into position; if you still can't get it just right then you may need to move the neck. The strings are definitely out of place, and the D is strung over the middle of the adjustment screw (and the B is very close to the screw as well). The neck pocket isn't the tightest but it's not the worst I've ever seen either - kind of the meh/middle ground. If that gap bugs you then don't bother messing with the strings and send it back.

I don't know where the OP got it from (or at least I missed it in the thread) but the guitar has been bounced around in getting to him, which can cause shifts.

boris bubbanov likes this.

20. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Tele-Meister

Oct 16, 2015
    New Jersey
    Find yourself an American Vintage?

Blue4Now and keybyte like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.