Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Got in a new Original Vintage 60s Tele... What a disappointment!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Robby5323, Mar 14, 2018.

1. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    Can't you just reposition the strings and saddles till you're happy?

DugT likes this.

2. Maxwell Street

Maxwell Street Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2009
    chicago usa
    9 lbs...? Thats a 2K boat anchor...

TeleTown likes this.

3. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    I don't really trust bathroom scales. I weighed the CV I had with one and it came out at 14 lbs., but with a smaller scale for weighing objects it was 8.5 lbs.

The names they come up for these guitars is ridiculous. "Original Vintage", yeah right. Next it'll be "Authentic Vintage" and "Real Vintage".

4. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    I paid $2,000 for a Blonde Hwy. ! in 2004 and it has a gap in the neck pocket ( unlike my builds) but otherwise you seem to have more problems. That faulty D string is a worry - enough for me to say RETURN IT.

TeleTown likes this.

5. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

You might take the guitar to the local UPS/Fedex/etc shipping store on a day they are not lined up with people shipping and ask if they can check the guitar weight for you. Their measurement will be much more accurate than bathroom scales.

How does the guitar sound when plugged in? I find that is usually where either the magic happens where I want to keep it or not. The other items can mostly be a setup adjustment.

6. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    I don't know what retailer the OP is referring to. But are we even sure this is a genuine Fender product? Many of these guitars are "copied" in the far east, with Fender decals, and so on... Perhaps someone in the supply chain is trying to make some profit by selling these as the genuine product. And that would not necessarily be the major retailer, let that be clear.

I'm not saying that it is a fake, but it could be. I'd first check with Fender to check the serial, and let them check it out.

7. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Mar 28, 2012
    Sou Cal
    You must’ve received the 55 point inspection!
    Seriously, look at the neck pocket alignment and see if moving the neck toward the upper horn would get you better string alignment.
    If so, with string tension on, slightly loosen the neck screws and move the neck, while holding pressure on the neck, tighten the neck screws. This will also seat the neck at the bottom of the pocket.
    OTOH, perhaps it’s best just to send it back so they don’t blame you for it.
    Personally, I get a refund and see if I couldn’t do a little better on the price and quality.
    Good luck

8barlouie likes this.

8. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    Always play a guitar first before buying.

rich815 and Asmith like this.

9. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    Assuming it's a genuine item (from Fender or any other manufacturer for that matter), if we spend a goodly sum of money on a new product we should expect perfect.

If we don't receive perfect, my view is that the item should be returned (repeatedly if necessary) until it is perfect - at least perfect enough to be fit for purpose and satisfy all reasonable tests that it has an above-average chance of making it past whatever warranty / guarantee period it comes with.

Why would we just accept shoddy?

Ben-Zion and 545454 like this.

10. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    The neck pocket is gapped on both sides, shifting it towards either side is just going to make a bigger gap on the other side. Shifting it towards the cutaway to try and adjust where the D&G strings fall is going to leave about a 3/16" gap on the top side. For $2k, that's a crazy lack of attention to detail, my most expensive teles are Bajas and their pockets are tight and the strings align properly, as do all of my telecasters. This isn't just about getting a set up, that pocket is whack.

Robby5323, awasson and TeleTown like this.

11. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    That's unrealistic for most of us, there's not a Fender dealer within 100 miles of me that has these in stock, if I was going to buy one, I would have to order it.

12. Cazualwhiteguy

Cazualwhiteguy Tele-Meister

Feb 21, 2017
    Minneapolis, MN
    Sorry to derail but you paid 2k for a Highway One?! Just curious.. why? That's 3x the going rate.

13. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    But let PRS build a more or less perfect version of this guitar, stick a pointy 3x3 headstock on it, offer IT for $2000 and cries of blasphemy will abound! I've played enough Fenders to basically agree. I always found the $800-1000 guitars to play and sound as good as the more expensive, fancier models. And they're building them REALLY well in Mexico these days. Almost as well as Ibanez is building guitars in China!

I used to feel that way, and would still PREFER to play one before buying. But I've ordered a number of guitars site unseen as well as played a bunch of them in shops in the past year, and of the ones I ordered site unseen, I had one bad one. All the rest came down to whether that particular model was a fit for me, whether the neck felt the way I wanted it to. I think I played 4 Baja teles before I finally bought one and couldn't feel a difference between any of them - they were all great. But only one guitar that I ordered site-unseen was returned because of quality. And that's why they have their very liberal return policies. So you can find the right guitar for you and not get stuck with a dud. I don't worry about ordering a guitar online now, as long as I know I can return it if it's not right for me for whatever reason...

-Ray

14. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 3, 2003
    Athens-GREECE
    I have had the exact same problems with most original 60s Teles I have owned/seen.
    So I guess that Fender copies the vintage Teles very well. :lol:

15. Shnook

Shnook Tele-Meister

Apr 14, 2003
    Roanoke, VA
    I've seen WAY worse neck gaps on many vintage Tele's. I also received a T-Style from one of the most sought after replica guys out there with a gap worse than that. It didn't look great but it didn't affect sustain. That guitar could hold a note for days. It was a killer guitar and I didn't give a single thought to returning it over the gap. One the other hand I've had several guitars get finish cracks from the neck fitting tightly in the neck pocket. Wood expands sometimes you know.

That does suck to pay so much to get something with issues. I'd say a good setup would probably address these initial problems but if the guitar is too heavy for you send it back. That's one thing a good setup can't fix. Did the store you purchased it from not have the weight listed?

16. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 11, 2011
    North of Boston
    I just bought a used MIA Tele for $700. It's fit and finish is better than this guitar. If I was going to spend 2k on a guitar, it simply would not be on a Fender. I love 'em for sure but 2k for this guitar is disingenuous.

17. golfnut

golfnut Tele-Afflicted

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    I've purchased 5 guitars online. I just sent the last one I bought back and am waiting for the replacement to come now. Thats not a bad average. 2 of the guitars (including the one I had to send back) are Wildwood exclusives so the only way you'll get them is to order on line.

VB Tele likes this.

18. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    Yes. That is the standard price in Australia- but I got mine for $1365- just checked the receipt. Yu guys in the States are lucky. For a Gretsch $6500 second hand so it's worth paying for a holiday, going to gigs and bars as well as buying the guitar you want - like I mentioned an orange Gretsch 6120.

19. Old Tele Hack

Old Tele Hack Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Mar 31, 2017
    Virginia
    A used 6120 is around $1500 in Northern Virginia - if you're jonesin' for one, give a shout, I'm certain that one of the list denizens can help ya get it there for a lot less than $6500...

20. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2015
    Nashville
    Yeah, wood shrinks/swells but's it's still rare to see a gap that big on the newer models. I'm not suggesting anyone take this course of action on a 2k guitar but the "fix" for the slipping string over the saddle is usually to shim the neck to the point where the saddle lays flat so the angle won't pull the string down.

There is a balance between "WTF" and vintage correct though.

I ordered an AV '52 Tele that came with a slim taper C neck, then I returned it for an AV '56 that came with the same neck profile....very different from the FMIC descriptions they published online. They both had a few finish issues, and I don't care about neck size as a player (unless crazy skinny) so I just kept that Strat (and it's a great player) but....still....at the price point you should get what's advertised. I also got a new Baja and in one day the neck finish started peeling off, after two days it went back to Sam Ash!

Good luck on your return.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.