Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

got hit and run today- insurance help

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by HOBBSTER01, Aug 24, 2013.

1. HOBBSTER01

HOBBSTER01 Friend of Leo's

Today I was hit and run by an Isuzu NPR landscaping truck. He hit my drivers side, forcing me into the side of a bedrock wall on the side of a mountain. I wasn't hurt (just bruised) but my truck is a total loss in all likelihood.
    Does anyone know how insurance values my truck.
    2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2wd crew cab LS with 136,766 miles.
    It was near extra clean condition except for mileage before I was hit.
    The police caught the guy an hour later but it was not the original driver. It was the owner of the company who stated he had not been in the area where I was hit. The mirror off his truck was missing but the guy who hit me wasn't Caucasian instead he was a dark skinned male who appeared to me to be of Latino or Hispanic descent.
    Fortunately I wasn't injured and the police say it's my word against his.
    I have full coverage so all is not lost. I just need to know how the insurance will value my truck. Thanks.

2. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire

Kelly Blue Book says just under $11K in great shape.

Being a hit and run, I don't know how that plays into it. I hope they make you "whole" with a similar replacement. That sucks, but could have been FAR worse!

http://www.kbb.com/

3. tazzboy

tazzboy Former Member

Plus one Kelly Blue Book.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Glad you're ok. Trucks can be replaced but people can't. The insurance co should have ways of tracking who was where and at what time - if they carry a mobile phone anyway. I was rear-ended by a drunk driver who also took off. My car was written off, and the cops couldn't do anything because the car was unregistered and the last registered owner denied knowledge of the incident.

6. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

Doing a report and having the cops locate the vehicle was a plus. Insurance companies have a way of finding out the truth...most of the time. Just let things play out. Glad you're ok.

And get checked out. Accidents, even though minor, can induce a lot of stress.

7. goonie

goonie Tele-Afflicted

Sounds like they just can't be bothered investigating. Next time that guy could kill someone.

8. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

Ideally the business will be covered by liability and property damage, if not your uninsured and underinsured coverage should kick in.

Carriers do not use KBB to value vehicles, but outsource to entities who do this, using, if I recall correctly, local values and local recent sales.

Be prepared to assert yourself with the adjuster, politely yet firmly, to get as full value for you vehicle as possible. Be familiar with vehicle's condition, options and accessories.

9. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity

That's rough, I'm glad you're OK.... your poor old Chevvy..awww... bummer..

did he come round a bend on your side and give you no where to go but the inside wall?..

. lucky you were on the inside..... instead of getting shunted over an edge....

10. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

Hit and run is extremely serious, I'm surprised the police are not pressing to identify the driver. If it's not the owner then the owner should know who had his vehicle.

11. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire

He may have to press the cops on this. Often they prefer to talk folks out of pressing charges to save time and effort on their part. Also adds to the local crime stats and PDs all compete to be the "safest cities". I'm not kidding btw.

12. Norton72

Norton72 Tele-Afflicted

I would seem to me that if the vehicle was used to conduct business, in this case landscaping, the vehicle would necessarily have to have liability insurance. If the owner has not reported the vehicle stolen then he should be liable for any damages caused by the vehicle, regardless of whether or not his is able/is willing to identify the driver.

I'm only speaking what I believe to be common sense. I know nothing of the law or insurance in this matter.

13. kidmo

kidmo Friend of Leo's

They should go off the Kelly Blue Book value, but of course they may try and give less, stick to the BB and get something in writing from several dealers as to the value, if you have to.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  14. Westerly Sunn

Westerly Sunn Poster Extraordinaire

Go after that owner like a duck after a june bug...

15. ApolloMike

ApolloMike Tele-Holic

KBB, and then they use a percentage to total it, like 70%. So if the repairs will cost $9000 on your $11000 truck, it is totaled, and they will send you a check for $11000 minus your deductible. If they can get the other insurance company to pay, there is no deductible.

16. Tele-writer

Tele-writer Tele-Meister

There 'may' be a hesitation on the part of the owner of that truck in identifying who was driving it due to a possibility of the driver being an undocumented alien which would result in the owner incurring legal difficulties and financial penalties of his own. Unfortunately, this is the only scenario I can fathom which would make sense if the owner of the truck does indeed have insurance.

17. HOBBSTER01

This same statement was made by a member of law enforcement yesterday.

18. Westerly Sunn

Westerly Sunn Poster Extraordinaire

This was the 1st thing that occurred to me.

19. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

They will probably pay pretty good for you truck. I had my work van totalled and I was very pleased with what I recieved. More than I thought the van was worth. The only real thing that counts is that you were not hurt. We ought to get together some time. I am in Ringgold working pretty often.

20. HOBBSTER01

call me. I'm in the book.You ever go to Wilborn's? aka Lone Mtn. Music.
    BTW If you need to store any of those vintage Fender amps at my place you're more than welcome to do so. lol

21. Mjark

Mjark Poster Extraordinaire

You won't get the Kelly Blue Book price from your company or the other should they decide their insured is liable. But trucks hold their value pretty well and they do use local prices so you might not do too bad. Sounds like the police did a pretty poor investigation.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.