Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Got Divorced Today – A Story Too Good Not to Share

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Phrygian77, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Afflicted

Apr 30, 2016
    Crawfordville, FL
    This is good, but I've got to give you the whole story, so bear with me.

My wife and I have been separated for just over 6 years. I fell in love with someone else and started a new life here, and she moved to South Carolina and started a new life there.

For a while, I had been considering an uncontested dissolution of marriage, but I was afraid she wouldn't show up in court (which is a requirement in Florida for an uncontested divorce), and I'd eat the roughly $500 in court fees. She has, for the most part, been pretty hostile towards me. That is, until recently, after she apparently met someone new.

A couple of months ago, she contacted me about filing for divorce. I agreed as long as she would show up in court here. She agreed. I sent her papers which she signed and had notarized, and then sent back to me. I filed everything at the local clerk of court office, and got a hearing date, September 12.

A little less than two weeks before our court date, I contacted her again, to verify she was still going to show up. She responded that she would be there. Then, yesterday, I was thinking about Florence heading towards the Carolinas. I messaged her again, "With the storm coming, are you still going to be able to do this?" At 5 PM, "Yes, I'm just getting into Tallahassee now."

Our hearing time was set for 10 AM this morning. I got there 20 minutes early. There were a couple of other people there waiting outside the court room. I just sat there on my phone, blowing time, reading the forum and Facebook. At 10 AM, I noticed she wasn't there yet. Every time I heard the elevator, I thought, "That better be her!" At 10:06 a bailiff walked out of the court room and said, "Okay, who do we have here?" I hesitated for a second, watching the guy next to me. The other guy said nothing, so I said my last name. The bailiff looked at his list and said, "okay," and then returns to the court room.

A minute later, the bailiff returns from the court room and says to the other guy, we're ready for you. I thought, "Oh great! We're probably next. Where the hell is she?" At this point, I sent her a message, "Hey, where are you? We probably still have a bit of time, but I don't know how much."

Time starts ticking by, and I'm getting pissed. At 10:30 AM the bailiff returns, and says my last name. I said, "Yes, but I'm sorry my wife isn't here yet." He responds, "She isn't here. Follow me." Then, he walks down a hallway past the court room as I follow him. He takes me to a back room, and opens the door. There's a woman sitting at a table with a sharply dressed plain clothes deputy sheriff standing next to her. I recognized the deputy sheriff, as I had just seen him walking through the corridor about 20 minutes earlier.

"Have a seat over here," they said. My mind is racing at this point. Having watched too much Investigation Discovery, I'm thinking the next question is going to be something like, "Where were you at 12:00 AM this morning." Instead, they said, "We have your wife on video conference." Then, they bring up a video of my wife, and I can clearly see on the screen it says, "Wakulla County Jail."

While we began to proceed with the divorce hearing, via video conference, all I'm thinking is "WTF??" But, I shouldn't have be surprised. That was my ex wife, get drunk and cause trouble, anywhere she was.

Thankfully, that part of my past is finally behind me now.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    rz350, stephent2, Norton72 and 79 others like this.

2. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Tele-Meister

Aug 28, 2018
    Pittsburgh
    :lol:

Fantastic.

Phrygian77 likes this.

3. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jan 15, 2007
    Rochester, NY
    Great story and a good read. Glad you got out ok.

John Nicholas, Phrygian77 and awasson like this.

4. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire

Good story, and I'm glad you get to get your new life going. Best wishes.

John Nicholas and Phrygian77 like this.

5. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

Oct 10, 2010
    Twangers Medows USA
    congrats!!

Phrygian77 likes this.

6. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    the next time the idea of marriage enters your head change the subject to getting a diamond back rattle snake as a pet/companion as you will be certain the choice was yours and the rattler will be constant, faithful and ever lethal, not the most romantic relationship in the world but for the snakes part completely honest and trustworthy.

7. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's

Jul 20, 2013
    Island of Oahu

8. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Wow, you should have bought a lottery ticket.

Phrygian77 likes this.

9. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    So, I'm guessing she didn't have to actually be in the courtroom after all. Could they have done a video conference from her living room?

El Tele Lobo, drf64 and Phrygian77 like this.

10. Recce

Recce Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 3, 2016
    Northern Alabama
    That is a lot crazy but glad it worked out.

Phrygian77 likes this.

11. Totally_Tod

Totally_Tod Tele-Meister

Jul 23, 2018
    Los Angeles, Ca

12. heltershelton

heltershelton Tele-Afflicted

Sep 14, 2016
    not houston
    marriage is some crazy stuff.
    my ex wife and i are better friends now than when we were married.
    we still talk all the time.
    but the day we got our divorce, we high fived each other and went somewhere to have a beer.

tacensi, Rustbucket, esetter and 6 others like this.

13. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Meister

Jun 11, 2014
    SLC, UT
    That's somebody else's problem now!

Phrygian77 likes this.

14. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Apr 17, 2006
    Back at the Beach
    That's some good **** there Maynard. Glad you got the relationship severed and a chance to move on. Best of luck on your going forward.

15. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    congrats on moving ahead, I wish you and her the best, she sounds troubled with issues.
    I hope she can get past it all.

Best of wishes to both of you!

Phrygian77 likes this.

16. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Afflicted

Apr 30, 2016
    Crawfordville, FL
    I think it's up to the judge, but Florida law is that you both have to be there for the simplified divorce. I'm sure she told someone at the jail that she had divorce hearing in the morning. I'm guessing that's how it was worked out, thankfully.

Sometimes, the most anticipated/planned things in life can take a crazy turn, but then somehow miraculously work out in the end.

17. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    That’s a good ending to a bad (in the tough living way) story. Glad it’s over for ya.

Phrygian77 likes this.

18. Informal

Informal Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2013
    SoCal
    Bwhahaha.... All's well that ends well...

Thankfully she didn't kill/maim anyone.

19. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Holic

Oct 12, 2017
    Alaska
    don't laugh yet, and in fact, don't laugh ever. don't trust anything or anyone involved. get everything down and locked with official documents. it's not over until it's over. press every advantage, don't give an inch until it's totally done. totally done,,, then, be careful. not me, but I have too many friends that go through this and.... the end is not the end. they can drag you down and string you along for YEARS. as always, be prepared

Ricky D. likes this.

20. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I divorced a woman in Las Vegas back in the mid 60s. I've been happily married this time for well over 50 years. Reading your story gave me cold chills when I for a second relived the agony of trying to make sure everything went as it should long distance during the divorce. The feeling of a divorce must be something akin to having an arrow pulled from your heart and the wound closing up all by itself, and you find you are suddenly very much alive after all.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.