Got another call from my grandson today.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

This morning, I reached over and picked up the phone when it rang, and low and behold a voice on the line says, guess who this is?. I say why I don't reckon I know. He says it's your grandson, grandpa. Well howdy there young fella, since I have so many grandsons, could you tell me which one this is? He said it's Johnny grandpa! I says, well you know, I'm checking the list right here, and I don't seem to have a Johnny listed in my grandson file! I want to thank you sincerely for calling though, and you have yourself a great day. I think the poor boy must have been a little hard of hearing 'cause he was still talking when I hung up.

This makes three grandsons, and one granddaughter that has called to let me know they have had terrible financial problems lately. Unfortunately none of them have been MY grandkids. It's just pitiful how these kids get in accidents, get their noses banged up to where you can't hardly understand them and such. I know if they can just get in touch with the right grandpa, everything's gonna be alright.

2. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

While he was on the line did you tell him about the talking banana?

3. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Meister

That's going around again huh? Those scammers make 100's of thousands, if not, millions of those calls, and if they can get just 50 to fall for it, they are taking in a boatload of money. Just think, before the advent of the internet, smartphones, and robocalls, these were relatively low incidence crimes. Now millions of potential targets are subjected to it. Granted, most people don't fall for it. But the law of averages says a few people will, just because of the sheer volume of calls. Here's to technology!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    8barlouie, Torren61 and Toto'sDad like this.
  4. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

I would have thought you would have taught your grandkids to be better drivers

I got a letter yesterday saying I have a deceased relative in S Africa that left $10,5000.00 and it could be mine. The lawyers last name is Dudu. It seemed appropriate

5. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Wow.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  6. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I have an ex-sister in law (is she an ex or still a SIL after my brother’s been gone 20 years?) who calls periodically for money, usually for 10K. My brother picked up crabs, hep-A, and her in Subic. Last call was for money because his grave flooded. She brought him back to the Philippines against my family’s wishes after he died. I’d almost rather a call from a scammer I don’t know to one I do. Nancy Regan had it right. Just say no.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  7. Toto'sDad

I really should have, the banana might be a good hook for his story.

8. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Now, TD, don't be too hasty.....there's always the chance you've got a grandchild or two floating around that you're not aware of. Next time, hear him out and listen to his problems. Then start telling him how your health is declining, and how you and wife and Alex are needing a place to live and some relative willing to take you in and care for you full time. This could work to your benefit!

9. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

oh, man, I've got to get my dad up on this one. he insists on talking to the scammers when they call because he has the delusion that if he's insulting to them they won't call back.

nojazzhere and Torren61 like this.
  10. Toto'sDad

You are indeed a devious man nojazz! I had not thought of that, but next time I get a call, I'm going to hear them out, then explain to them that we would be better off pooling our resources, and all of us coming to HIS house, and spending the rest of our lives together reminiscing about old times! Thank you!

stxrus, soulman969, Sev112 and 2 others like this.
  11. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

I just get calls from Rob, Eddie, John, well whoever he is calling himself that day from the police association wanting to know how much $$$ they can expect from me... I respond with "you were Richard the last time you called", he responds with "well, I'll let you go now".

Toto'sDad, nojazzhere and Torren61 like this.
  12. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Do you have caller ID? If you don't answer the phone with unknown phone numbers, you won't get more calls from that scam organization.

Diligence. Persistence. Discipline.

13. Toto'sDad

But, but, but, what if it was you on the line?! :D

soulman969, nojazzhere and Torren61 like this.
  14. steve v

steve v Tele-Holic

My wife and her friend get Paypal requests from a mutual friend. They thought it was a scam, turns out it isn't. Apparently the person in question is struggling with some substance use issues and is hitting everyone up for money.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  15. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

Sounds like he found a viable source of funding...

nojazzhere likes this.
  16. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

My point exactly.;):lol::lol::lol::lol:

17. Toto'sDad

I know I'm more than a little hard hearted in that regard, but substance abuse is not a disease it's a choice. If you want something, earn the money to buy it, if you can't afford it, don't buy it.

Lake Placid Blue and nojazzhere like this.
  18. Toto'sDad

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Obsessed likes this.
  19. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I get these scam calls all the time, but I don't answer the phone unless I recognize the number. Once in a while, I get tricked into answering because the number looks like someone I know, but as soon as I realize it isn't, I hang up. I never listen or talk to them.

20. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

The only flaw there, TD, is that if YOU don't give them anything, they'll probably break into MY house and take what they want. So, obviously it's better for all of us (me) if you just give them something now. :)

Lake Placid Blue and Toto'sDad like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.