Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Got a question that may not have a good answer

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by LeftyAl, Nov 7, 2017.

1. LeftyAl

LeftyAl Friend of Leo's

Mar 24, 2010
    Fl.
    I have a fender bronco. The little tweed amp.I live down hear in Florida, right on the ocean. The air. is very corrosive to metal.. Well on our back enclosed porch,I left it out there for only a few days. All the metal is rusted. Surface rust. To clean it up, I will destroy all the lettering on the chassis.Can I get a replacement chassis?I was also thinking about ,Converting it to a small tube amp. I see those kits advertised. 5f1 ,I think they are. Is there a way to clean up this chassis, Can I get a silk screen done to the cleaned up chassis? Or try to convert to a small tube amp? thanks.

2. corliss1

corliss1 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Sep 13, 2008
    Lansing, MI
    I don't think it would be worth it to try and do a restoration on something like that. The cost of cleaning up the silkscreen alone would easily exceed the replacement cost of the amp. But....that's just my opinion.

I haven't seen the chassis out of one of these so I can't say for sure if it would be a good candidate for a tube amp conversion. I have seem people make adapter plates for the top cutout and a new rear panel in order to convert it to a hold a 5F1 style chassis.

3. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Try guitar polish. I used the Gibson in the orange bottle on my '58 Twin and it cleaned it up nicely.

Then put some wax on it to protect the metal.

4. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    I'm not familiar with the amp but I used to polish up the bumper bars on my dad's car with chrome polish - which took off the rust but left the chrome gleaming - and then apply a few coats of good wax polish to seal the surface. Might be worth a try?

5. Alamo

Alamo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin, Germany
    without the rust it should look like this:

Bronco12.jpg

Paul Jenkin likes this.

6. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    I agree auto chrome polish is worth a try. By the nature of chrome, these can't be too abrasive. Also wondering about naval jelly -- but it *might* eat the lettering.

7. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Chrome polish usually has an abrasive in it. I'd be very nervous about that.

Really, try guitar polish.

awasson likes this.

8. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    Do you have CLR down there in florida? it removes surface rust , I try some of that on a small inocculous patch to see how that works

Walmart sell it!

9. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Wax. A little wax might just be what you need to get the surface rust off and it’ll protect it as well. I think anything else (except guitar polish) will take the letters off.

10. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    Your amp is now reliced… enjoy!
    A little chrome polish would clean up the chrome I think. Silkscreen is pretty durable actually. Give it a try in a small section.

11. Outlaws

Outlaws Tele-Meister

Jan 16, 2007
    None
    I wouldn’t clean off surface rust unless you have a plan to prevent it as a light surface rust is actually preventing further rust at this point, and it’s basically maintenance free unlike oiling it up.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017

12. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

Jul 26, 2011
    Kent, UK
    I don't know if you get it over there but Solvol Autosol is pretty good and not too abrasive.

13. Preacher

Preacher Tele-Afflicted

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    Try some Coca Cola. With only small amounts of surface rust put a little on the rusted parts and let the corrosive nature do its thing. That would be Your less abbrasive option. Once you get it clean out a little car wax and you will be good.
    Also don’t convert that to a tube. I have one and I have to tell you since I opened the back panel it sounds almost tube like. For a SS amp it will suffice for a grab and jam amp.

Alamo likes this.

14. Preacher

Preacher Tele-Afflicted

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    And if you have never played it as a head through a 4x10 cab. Try it!!

Alamo likes this.

15. Alamo

Alamo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin, Germany
    So true, mine sounds tube like too. it's also very scaleable in volume for very quiet late night jamming -- plus it has a headphone out jack!
    I have 5f1 clone with a Jensen 12" speaker which also sounds nice, but there's a lot of volume involved.
    you gotta turn it up a bit.
    no silent headphone-out availlable either.

16. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Holic

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Guys!...Guys!....what are you talking about?.....Coca Cola, CLR, guitar polish?....this is what WD-40 is great at. Use WD-40 and #0000 steel wool (gently) and it will take up light surface rust and won't harm the silkscreen lettering. Trust me!...(besides, it's not my amp) :)

Preacher likes this.

17. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    Car guys use crumpled aluminum foil and plain water. Alu is softer than chrome and harder than rust; the only abrasive is the micro fine alu dust that floats in the water.

18. Sarde

Sarde TDPRI Member

Apr 16, 2016
    San Pedro, CA
    I've used bar-keepers friend to great avail on an amp chassis I was selling that had light surface pitting/rust. It worked like a charm. You probably have some under your sink. upload_2017-11-9_22-55-8.png

nojazzhere likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.