Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Gospel skype lessons?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by justreleased09, Jan 14, 2013.

1. justreleased09

justreleased09 TDPRI Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Tupelo, MS
    I have been listen to a great deal of that neo funk jazz, gospel style of playing from guys like Jairus Mozee, Spanky Alford, And Eric walls. I'd really like to learn this style, but there are so few resources. Does anyone know of anyone giving skype lessons in this style?

2. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Holic

Feb 2, 2010
    Houston, TX
    To be honest, a lot of the R&B/ Neo Soul stuff is just jazz, but with an R&B beat. You will get a lot of mileage just brushing off some of the old standards (Stella, Body and Soul, Night & Day, etc). If you listen to a lot of that kind of music like Jill Scott, D'Angelo, Anthony Hamilton, etc the chord changes have more in common with jazz than they do with traditional R&B (Motown, Funk, etc). A lot of the guys that play with those artists are good staight ahead players as well. (IE: Mike Moreno with Bilal).

Aside from that, I know that J Mo has a DVD out there that you can buy that covers neo soul and gospel shout music.

...but if you don't have the fundamentals, all the other stuff is just sizzle with no steak! ;-)

3. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 28, 2006
    NELA, Ca
    +1

Check out classic Al Greene, Curtis Mayfield, Earth, Wind and Fire, Stevie Wonder, Sly Stone, Graham Central Station, Jacksons (5 and MJ), Prince, Jesse Johnson, Tower of Power, Commodores, War, any of the Atlantic Records stuff with Cornell DuPree, Eric Gale and David T. Walker on it (Aretha, King Curtis), etc. It's all there.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. justreleased09

justreleased09 TDPRI Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Tupelo, MS
    Thanks for the info guys! So what are cats like mozee doing with all the cool chords and runs in between or even runs on top of chords? How can I work on that?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.