Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Gorilla Glue & the Output Jack

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Tornadosmith, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Tornadosmith

Tornadosmith TDPRI Member

Jul 17, 2015
    Tri-Cities, TN/VA
    I attempted to secure my loose output jack cup on my Indonesian Squier Affinity with Gorilla Glue. It came completely out within a week of getting it new from Musician's Friend, but I didn't think it would be worth the hassle to return, as it's evidently a common problem even in Fender Tele's. I didn't do the best job applying the glue and/or didn't know what to expect for how it would turn out... but it does seem pretty secure after a second attempt to glue (first attempt, I neglected to apply pressure to it for long... second attempt I sat with it, firmly pressing on the jack for a couple hours while watching Netflix!).

Here's a link to a video of it... curious if any has suggestions to get a little hardened residue off without damaging anything - not that anyone's going to really notice this while I'm playing unless they're conducting a thorough inspection.

(Had this failed, I was going to order an electro socket and get a guitar shop to replace the factory cup with that.)

2. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    If it works, then great.

I'd strongly discourage anybody from doing this, though. In my opinion when this happens you should get it fixed properly, or go with the Electrosocket. The Electrosocket can be installed without doing any soldering, and all it requires is the ability to install two small screws without damaging anything.

The problem with the Gorilla Glue thing is that there are uninsulated contacts on the back of that jack. If the Gorilla Glue gets on them it may interfere with the jack's operation. Gorilla Glue expands forever, it will continue to push out and creep into places it doesn't belong. Most importantly, when that jack needs to be replaced, the Gorilla Glue may make it very difficult to remove the old jack without doing damage.

3. Tornadosmith

Jul 17, 2015
    Tri-Cities, TN/VA
    Thanks for the feedback. I didn't use a ton of it, but I did notice that the first attempt resulted in some expansion. Newbie mistake here; should have known there was a reason I wasn't seeing anyone suggest this, but figured I'd try it since I didn't see any warnings against it - bad call. Hopefully it will situate ok and not need replacing.

Just curious, does one need to use a drill for the screws when installing Electrosocket, or is the wood soft enough for one to just use a screwdriver? (Again, newbie here, at least to trying to repair anything guitar.)

4. dsutton24

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    Guitar bodies are hardwood, so you always predrill screw holes. If you don't you'll split the wood or twist the heads off the screws.

5. Tornadosmith

Jul 17, 2015
    Tri-Cities, TN/VA
    I will learn from this and give my local guitar repair guy some business if I encounter this again. I'm just not confident enough to use power tools on it, afraid I'd drill the wrong angle or too far or something. Thanks for the info.

6. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI
    The screws for an electrosocket should go into the wood with a little attention.

I've heard some have drilled the standard socket and used screws in the same concept as an electrosocket.

There is also a thread on tdpri on making a tool out of a bolt and some washers to flatten the cup retainer and get it to bite better as intended.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-technical/261220-home-made-tele-jack-clip-tool-2.html#post6286748

Amazon sells a plastic version Amazon.com: Allparts Bullet Guitar Jack Tightener: Musical Instruments@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31XcnbK5LjL.@@AMEPARAM@@31XcnbK5LjL

7. tfsails

tfsails Friend of Leo's

Oct 11, 2010
    Richmond VA
    Drill your holes using a bit that has a diameter equal to or slightly less than the diameter of the screw's shank. This leaves substantial wood around the hole for the threads to grip, but almost eliminates any tendency for the wood to crack.

Be advised that the Electrosocket threads onto the jack, so you want to wait to drill the holes until you have the socket and the jack situated where you want them to be permanantly. Once you have that, drill the screw holes through the holes in the socket, install the screws and you're good to go.

Mine hasn't budged in the five years I've owned my Tele. I kept the spring plate and repositioned it in the hole to make an adequate barrier to the jack trying to unscrew itself.

8. dsutton24

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    They're not the same tool. The first installs the spring clip. It won't do any good if the original spring clip is distorted, you'd have to replace the spring clip.

The second is for tightening the jack nut without turning the jack in the body.

Both are useful tools, but they address two different needs.

9. javierj

javierj Tele-Meister

Opps made a mistake and accidentally wrote on this thread, could not find a way to delete it.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  10. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Tele-Afflicted

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    I like most things vintage looking on tele's but I always replace the jack cups with electrosockets. If the body is a soft wood like basswood or pine there's no real need to pre drill. Just be sure to line the screws up in a straight line with the body. I hate seeing misaligned screws. The electrosocket is about the same price as a tube of glue.

11. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    The jack cup is one of the weak aspects of Leo’s original design. The electrosocket is dead easy to install and 100 time better

12. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2012
    england
    Electrosocket is defo the way to go you don't even need to drill the holes line it up get a hammer and sharp point start the holes off then get some decent self tapping screws put a bit on soap on the threads slowly screw them in and that thing will stay in a lifetime

13. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2014
    Madrid, Spain, EU
    I had enough with electrosocket and traditional "cup" and went to this....

[​IMG]

kaludjerko likes this.
  14. javierj

javierj Tele-Meister

Old thread I see...Sorry if it seems like dumb question, but regarding the Gorilla glue, do you mean literally, that the glue will keep expanding forever? Like do you mean like it will never stop expanding after years or long time? Even after it has cured/dried up?

15. javierj

javierj Tele-Meister

Did you ever had any functional or structural problems down the way, after time passed, since you glued the Telecaster jack plate?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.