Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Goodbye to the P2 Neptune

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by uriah1, Oct 4, 2017.

1. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    tintag27 and brogh like this.

2. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Based out of nearby Missoula, MT. It is a sad day and I can only hope that the Bombardier and DC-10s are up to the task. I've watched the P-2s over the last twenty years do their stuff and they are incredible. Neptune aviation has already placed one at the entrance to the Missoula airport and I think there is one at the Johnson Air Museum (now known as the Mountain Flying museum) at the airport as well.

3. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    End of the "round engine" era of reciprocating engines.

Jets are "funner" but gobble JP4 like a thirsty Camel and, without inflight refueling, they can't match the fuel economy of reciprocating engines: 12+ hours for P2 and almost 20 hours for EC-121.

4. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    i would have never imagined that those were still in service today, great plane !

uriah1 likes this.

5. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    Is that the same as the Neptune Patrol Bombers the Navy used to fly back in the '60's? I used to see those a lot when they flew out of the Alameda Navel Air Station.

Obsessed likes this.

6. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Holic

Feb 12, 2011
    Southern IL
    Yes ,the Reserves were still flying them at least through mid 70's

7. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Missoula, Montana
    I was wondering — me and the dog were walking up in the hills the other day when four of those beasts came zooming out of the bitterroot and started flying all over the Missoula valley. Cool old planes.

8. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    That is how I remember them too, when they were doing their intended flights. Once I started working near Moffet in the late 70s it was all P3 Orions doing the sub chasing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.