Goodbye to Dlx Tele N3 pick ups..hello to DiMarzio Twang Kings

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by AmDlx, Jan 13, 2019.

1. AmDlx

AmDlx TDPRI Member

I have an American Deluxe Tele, lovely guitar but I never got on well with those N3 pick ups. To me they sounded dark, sterile, no character, bland, muffled..very strange sound.

I have decided on a set of Dimarzio Twang Kings after reading so much about them on here. I have a Twisted Tele and Broadcaster combo on my Am Std tele which I love, hoping the twang kings will work out well for me too as the guitar gets little use cos of its sound..or lack of. Didn’t want anything hot or dark for my Deluxe as I am afraid of ending up back in the N3 zone again or like the hot ceramics on my old Mexican Standard year ago. Seems to be some serious love around here for the Twang King set. Watched lots of you tube videos on them. They sound like they are old school pick ups but with a bigger but well balanced sound. I will probably replace the S1 wiring with an Emerson 4 way kit as they are supposed to be a great tele upgrade.

I had never even heard of DiMarzio making tele pick ups before...until I started reading about Twang Kings on here.

Please share your N3 upgrade or Twang King upgrade stories with me.

I feel bad about pulling parts out of such a nice guitar but I’m also quite excited that one day in the near future I will hopefully have a guitar that will get a lot of use.

My styles are varied but these days I am leaning towards country/rock. The Twang Kings sounds like they will work well for this.

emisilly likes this.
  2. orangeblossom

orangeblossom Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I put a set in my cv tele. They sound great to me. The cv didn’t really need them though. Good for country.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.