Good work FBI (Operation Varsity Blues).

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by imwjl, Mar 13, 2019 at 8:54 AM.

1. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Riddle me this: when Harley stinks he's stinky, but why, when thinks, isn't he "thinky"?

2. stratofortress

stratofortress Tele-Afflicted

I am referring to the ones that missed out on the sports scholarships like the crewing one..

3. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yes. Finished !

On the other hand, he could become an electrician or plumber or go into HVAC and take care of his old man. :mad:

The next building boom ?

Impossible . Builders and skilled trades have to exist in decent numbers for that to happen...

Toto'sDad likes this.
  4. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

I guess he'd have a case. If you're the school and it's in the past, it's pretty easy to settle with him for anything he missed out on plus some punitive interest. Small potatoes.

5. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

6. ale.istotle

ale.istotle TDPRI Member

Thought Experiment:
    I start a university - I call it "Top Bidder University". We'll translate it to Latin to make it sound prestigious.
    School motto will be 'You can buy better but you can't pay more', also translated to Latin to keep it classy.

1,000 students per year. No published tuition. I take the 1,000 highest paying applicants. Straight-up live auction.
    The winning applicants take SAT on day 1 and stay if they meet a minimum score. If below minimum SAT, student is expelled and I keep the tuition.

Once in students can 'bribe' me for better rooms, schedules, meals, whatever as long as it is both public and they 1099 me (provide tax form reporting the payment for those not in USA.) Grades cannot be bought.

Am I going to jail or am I good?

7. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

it sounds like some folks stink when they think.

8. getbent

Nelson Mandela was in prison for 27 years.

9. Jerry J

Jerry J Tele-Afflicted

This is too true. But on a personal level, my middle son got into UVA and is still waiting to hear from UofChicago; Vanderbilt; W&M; Georgetown; and Cornell. And it didn't cost me anything more than the fees for applications and SAT tests. Proud of that boy, though I wish he applied to UCSD where I guarantee you that I WOULD HAVE BEEN HIS ROOMMATE. What a beautiful campus.

uriah1 likes this.
  10. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

Summa Esto Universitas

Sounds like a party to me. This is all privately financed right? And you are disclosing the SAT requirements up front? I don't see a problem with this. And there's no real rule that a university has to be actually "accredited." And if I'm wrong, maybe you could start your own accreditation body.

I would never let my kids go to your school and I would scream to the high heavens to anyone who would listen that its a rip-off and a sham. But more power to ya. Or is that, buyer beware. I can't decide.

Benediximus.

ale.istotle likes this.
  11. ale.istotle

ale.istotle TDPRI Member

I wouldn't want my kids to go there either. The only thing any student could get out of it is to have everyone else know you spent (and are able to spend) the most. Seems to be a market for that.

JuneauMike likes this.
  12. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

As difficult it is to justify the monetary costs these days we need more people to realize this about higher education and humanities in general IMHO. Cheating is the antithesis of this.

13. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Reverse affirmative action . Let them eat their own , I say . Now , where is my popcorn ?

14. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

OR...as a Registered Nurse or an X-Ray Technician which is where the Community College is the way to go. My Physical Therapist has Her Masters Degree and needs to watch every penny because of loans.
    Because sometimes prestigious ain't as prestigious as it seems...after the end of the month payments car, rent in Boston, loans...She must want to scream.

15. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Afflicted

I think the defendants should use the Stratton Defense

JuneauMike likes this.
  16. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Just look what California has done for housing with its mucho grande labor pool! 1142 square foot three bedroom flattop, only $795,000!

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  17. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

Hmm, looks like one family chose the "Bluto Rejoinder" instead. Over? Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor. Hell no!

Son defends parents caught in college admissions scandal while smoking blunt
    By David McGlynn and Lia Eustachewich

March 13, 2019 | 10:26pm |

[​IMG]
    Malcolm Abbott
    SEE ALSO
    upload_2019-3-14_15-16-0.gif
    NYC beverage bigwig caught up in college admissions scandal

Maybe this is why Gregory and Marcia Abbott allegedly bought their daughter’s way into college.

Their “rapper” son, Malcolm, popped out of the family’s Fifth Avenue building to smoke a giant blunt — while defending his parents and bragging about his latest CD.

“They’re blowing this whole thing out of proportion,” said Malcolm Abbott outside the home that overlooks the Metropolitan Museum of Art. “I believe everyone has a right to go to college, man.”

In between drags, Malcolm, whose father is the founder of food and beverage distributor International Dispensing Corp., admitted, “I didn’t go to college.”

The toker, who sports a ponytail and raps under the name “Billa,” then shamelessly plugged his music. “Check out my CD, ‘Cheese and Crackers,’ ” he said of his 2018 five-track record that includes a song titled “If I Lost My Money.”

Later, Malcolm emerged with his brother, who groused to The Post on Tuesday his parents “got roped into [this by] some guy who f–king cheated them.”

The parents are accused of paying admitted mastermind William “Rick” Singer $125,000to boost their struggling daughter’s ACT and SAT scores.

Singer paid off an alleged crooked test proctor to inflate the girl’s scores to a perfect 800 on the SAT math exam and 710 on the literature test. On the ACTs, her score of 23 out of 36 was upped to a near-perfect 35, according to court filings.

Both parents were out on $500,000 bail each.

bgmacaw likes this.
  18. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Afflicted

Amazingly, not The Onion even though it reads that way.

19. getbent

I'm a sucker for shortened names... how do you get Rick from William... oh I get it, he is the bill.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.