Good tone out of my Blues Deluxe

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Greybeard 1955, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Greybeard 1955

Greybeard 1955 TDPRI Member

So I have a Blues Deluxe that I use for playing at home only. To make it useable at home I've changed the V1 tube to a 12AY7 and V3 to a 12AT7 ( per recommendations I learned on this site). The tone and volume is great now. Lately I've been experimenting with the volume dials between my guitar and amp. I tried high guitar volume/low amp volume vs high amp volume/low guitar volume and found that the tone seems much better with the amp cranked to about 8-9 and the guitar volume barely turned up vs the guitar cranked and the amp at very low volume. I was surprised at this. Can anyone explain why it sounds better with the amp cranked and the guitar low? Is it because the tubes may be pushed a little more? Just curious.

2. Les H

Les H Tele-Meister

I would say you're probably right. You're working the power tubes. With your guitar volume knob you're reducing your input signal and not pushing the preamp tubes hard reducing the amount of distortion generated by the preamp thus being made up in the power section. Tone should clean up as your guitar volume knob goes down and start to overdrive as you turn the volume knob up.

Lots of guys run their amps like this. I've been playing 33 years and never really tried it. I'm from the guitar volume knob and tone controls wide open school. But I have been experimenting with both a little more than usual lately. :)

3. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

That's the way I usually run, amp high, guitar low. I'm not sure, but I tend to think everything is a combination of eq, and impedance. You get different eq and impedance loading with different combinations of volume/gain. Its popular and flattering to run the amp high, and the guitar low. I also roll off the treble/tone on the guitar, and sneak it up to get just a little sparkle, which is usually similar, maybe 20% treble/tone. If you are running wide open guitar volume and treble/tone, you are missing 90% of where the good stuff is with a solid body.

4. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Bloomfield did that I think. Kept amp settings up all the time.

5. ecoast

ecoast Tele-Holic

why a 40w amp to play quiet?

6. markeyd123

markeyd123 Tele-Meister

Same here. I have that amp. Same tube swaps, and yes, with tube amps in general I like to crank them up to the amps particular sweet spot then adjust guitar volume accordingly. I still found the BD too loud in the house so I added a Weber Attenuator. Beatiful full sound. I also have (among other amps) a 5 watt 5F1 I built from a kit. The point (for many people) of these low watt amps is that you can crank them to get the tubes cookin' without it being too loud. I really bought the BD to play with a band because 40 watt is a lot for home use, but still like to jam out in the house with it.

EDIT: Also, those tube swaps don't necessarily make the amp softer in volume, but allow you to get more control from the volume knob. Instead of going to 0 to deafening at 2 you can move the knob further without such a sudden jump in volume. BUT to answer your question you like the sound of getting the tubes hot as many of us do.

7. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Because you like it.

Piggy Stu likes this.
  8. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Tele-Afflicted

It must be something to do with your fingers, because tone is all in the fingers.

9. Greybeard 1955

I've always liked the Blues Deluxe and came across one for a terrific price,so I decided to buy it and do what I could to make it sound good at lower volumes. So far it's working out pretty good.

10. Greybeard 1955

The Weber Attenuator sounds interesting. I know nothing about them. What model is it. Can you tell me more about it?

11. Greybeard 1955

Yes, but I'm using the same fingers for each of the volume set ups. Lol!!

12. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

i set about 7 on guitar vol to right at breakup....chords 5ish...dime for leads...have a couple pedals for some boost mostly & to compensate some playing nuances.

13. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Tele-Afflicted

You need new fingers!

14. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Read the website.
    Basically, it cuts the signal that goes to the speaker from the amp.
    Unlike a master volume, both preamp and output stages are working just like a cranked amp, but it gives less signal to the speaker.
    Most who like them can crank their amp almost as much as they'd like, but more would be too loud. The attenuator allows you to crank it that little extra, then cut (attenuate) the signal to the speaker.
    If you want that cranked amp sound at the popular "bedroom" level, you might find out that that sound you like also comes from the speaker itself being pushed, which happens less with the attenuator. The Weber does have a speaker "motor" in it that mimics this sound, but nothing yet really nails it.
    I'm real interested in the Eminence Maverick speaker, which may be better (best?) at what folks are looking for in an attenuator...for less dough, yet!

15. markeyd123

markeyd123 Tele-Meister

I bought one of these used on Reverb or Ebay . . . I forget which:

https://www.tedweber.com/minimass

A previous poster gave an accurate description already. The sound is pretty darn close to perfect for my ears. The wire going to the speaker goes to this instead. Then a wire from this goes to the speaker. This has a volume knob (and other features) to cut the signal so you can crank your amp to heat up the power tubes, but play at a lower volume because this cuts the signal. I am pushing the limits of what this unit is rated for wattage wise, but I don't crank the volume on the amp to max so I am not really worried about it . . . worst case is I can fry this unit, but I really don't think that will happen. There are a lot of cheaper attenuators out there, but you will get what you pay for I assure you. I am a big fan of Weber products and trust their claims and workmanship. That is just my opinion though. I am pretty sure they make everything by hand in the USA as opposed to rebranding stuff from a factory somewhere else halfway around the world.

16. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Tele-Afflicted

When I had my early 90s BD ... I liked it a lot .. I used a simple extra volume attenuator (Omnisonic box) jacked between the preamp out/power amp in jacks, to gain more range control over the amp's volume knob, which is twitchy. Great cleans out of this amp. Personally I was never a fan of attenuating the speaker, just seems like a waste of power, and I get my drive sounds in the signal chain. Like from the Timmy, the best solid state drive box I've ever found. I even modified the baffle at one point to put in a JBL D140F speaker, 15-inch ... it just fits. But all it really did was make the amp heavier, lol, so I put the 12 back in.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.