Good songs tuned down a half step? (E flat tuning)

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by Telemacuss, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Telemacuss

Telemacuss TDPRI Member

I was going to try learning "The Only Daddy That Will Walk the Line" until I saw it was tuned down a half step (I'm too lazy to retune all six strings for one song). Then I found Buddy Holly's "Everyday", and Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Fortunate Son" and "Bad Moon Risin'" are also in E flat. Now it's kind of worth it to spend some time in E flat.
    Anyone know some good/fun songs in this tuning to try to learn by ear?
    Thanks!

2. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

Voodoo Chile
    Tax Free

Anything Hendrix really...

3. 13ontheB

13ontheB Tele-Afflicted

Buckaroo.

4. jbmando

jbmando Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

"Bad Moon" is tuned down a full step. Key of D, E shapes. "Fortunate Son" is key of G. Might be A fingerings tuned down a whole step, but I always have done it in standard tuning. Come to think of it, a whole step down might make it easier.
    Anything by Social Distortion, The Smithereens, SRV, Hendrix, and a lot more artists and groups, is tuned 1/2 step flat.

5. NashTel177

NashTel177 Tele-Meister

I think Workin' Man Blues is a half step down also

6. Telemacuss

Telemacuss TDPRI Member

Thanks for the ideas! Never knew that about "Buckaroo."

7. Omiewise65

Omiewise65 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Texas Flood - Steve Ray Vaughan . Not to learn by ear but by Marty Schwartz's lesson and a Stratocaster tuned to Eb .

8. BigbirdPhila

BigbirdPhila TDPRI Member

You might want to consider software such as Amazing Slow Downer:

http://www.ronimusic.com/

which can change the pitch of an audio file (in semitones & even cents). You can raise an Eb song by one semitone, play along with the recording in E, and avoid re-tuning.

ASD also lets you slow down an audio file without changing its pitch and define (and symbolically name) start/stop loop points you want to practice. Best $45 I ever spent on computer software.

9. brianswindall

brianswindall Tele-Afflicted

A lot of the grunge sound is tuning down a half-step. As stated above, Hendrix as well. I toyed with the idea of staying in that tuning permanently and capo-ing up but the strings are too slack for me to play that way regularly.

10. dmarg1045

dmarg1045 Friend of Leo's

Thin Lizzy tunes: Boys are Back in Town, Jailbreak, etc.

11. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

In reality you can play most any song tuned down a half step and if you're using the same chord inversions and only someone with perfect pitch will be able to tell any difference. I've been dropping songs a half or whole step for years as my voice loses some of it's range.

My acoustics are always tuned a half step flat and typically one of my Teles is as well. I can always use a capo to raise the tuning to standard when I need to. The main reason I do it and everyone else I assume is to accommodate the vocals.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  12. Telemacuss

Telemacuss TDPRI Member

Thanks for that tip; I use Riffstation-it probably has that feature.

13. Delta Blues

Delta Blues Tele-Afflicted

Anything by the original Van Halen.

14. zash

zash TDPRI Member

I think most of the stuff by Slash / Guns n Roses us tuned down half a step. I've been playing with slash solos eg. Knocking on heavens door, sweet child.

I was too lazy to retune so I just start the solo in Eb instead of E tuned down. It all works nicely and I can still play along with the backing track.

Apart from the tone I think all these guys like this tune as its easy on the fingers when bending.

15. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Friend of Leo's

Wikipedia has a list of bands using Eb. There are more than I thought there'd be.

I keep all my guitars in that tuning. Makes it easier on my hands.

16. guitarzzan

guitarzzan TDPRI Member

Buddy, ALL Stevie Ray Vaughan, ALL Jimi Hendrix, ALL Nuno Bettencourt of Extreme, Lynyrd Skynyrd "Simple Man", GreenDay's "Basket Case", Nirvana's "Heart Shaped Box", "Blitzkreig Bop" by the Ramones, "Bulls On Parade" by Rage Against the Machine (I just looked up), Thin izzy, Weezer...and so I'm told. Lots. Hey, I just started vigorously practicing guitar for the last 3, 4 years and experimenting with open tuning/half-step tuning/open tuning is great. Some songs are so much easier to play, like open G. Keith Richards makes his tunes look easy to play cuz...they are. Try out these...just Google "songs in open G tuning", or " songs in half step tuning". Try a capo out too. John Prine uses a capo in lots of his songs. Don't really try and understand theory, it'll come in time. It'll confuse you, even if you've had music theory. I suggest PRACTICE AND NOT LIKE IT, LOVE IT. Like anything, the more you PRACTICE the faster you'll get better. Same goes for playing by ear. I thought/ASSUMED I'd never be able to play by ear...no friggin' way I ever will. You have to be gifted. True, WE'RE ALL GIFTED. Play by ear comes with practice cuz it trains your ear. You won't even realize your ear is trained until you go, "OH YA...S#^%$!!" It'll surprise you bud. "YOU'VE GOT TO LEARN YOUR INSTRUMENT. THEN YOU PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE...AND THEN, WHEN YOU FINALLY GET UP THERE ON THE BANDSTAND, YOU FORGET ALL THAT AND JUST WAIL." Charlie Parker

17. sst69

sst69 TDPRI Member

Blitzkrieg Bop is not tuned down a 1/2 step. It's in A.

The Old 97's tune all their song down 1/2 step.

Johnson johnson likes this.
  18. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

Early classic Kiss. :cool:

19. Chooglin59

Chooglin59 Tele-Meister

I have a Tascam CD-GT-2 Trainer and it works great for changing the pitch of songs so you can play along in standard tuning. Also, has a good slow down feature.

20. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

for some reason most of ac/dc is tuned down a quarter step

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.