Good power supply without noise?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Ziggy587, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Ziggy587

Ziggy587 TDPRI Member

So a few years ago I got the T-Rex Fuel Tank Chameleon.

https://www.t-rex-effects.com/fueltank-chameleon

It's not bad, but you have to keep it pretty far from your pedals. If you place it close to your pedals it will introduce hum. The closer it is, the louder the hum. In the above link, it even says, "Placement; as far away from pedals as possible (preferable at least last in the chain close to Analog/drive pedals) in order to reduce noise interference in the signal chain."

This really bummed me out because I wanted to mount it on the under side of my pedal board (I have a Pedaltrain). Turns out the best position for it is OFF of the pedal board! This kinda defeats the usefulness for me. My Godlyke Power-All works better.

What's a good power supply that wont break the bank? I was looking at the Voodoo Labs ISO-5 and the MXR DC Brick. Something in that price range. I can consider total power draw, number of outputs and stuff like that as a secondary concern. My main focus is to get something that supplies clean power, and that I can keep close to my pedals without introducing any noise.

2. beninma

beninma Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

That's ridiculous... it must not be shielded properly?

I have a One Spot Pro it doesn't introduce any noise and it's mounted right below the pedals. It's hard for me to imagine the Voodoo labs or MXR systems would be noisy, the entire point of these things is to lower the noise floor.

radiocaster and Ziggy587 like this.
  3. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

I've always used a One Spot with good results, but I'm thinking of upgrading to the Truetone CS6 to keep my digital pedals happy. I can't afford it right now...but hopefully someday.
    https://truetone.com/cs6/
    The CS7 is even cheaper at around 120 bucks.
    https://truetone.com/cs7/

Ziggy587 likes this.
  4. Ziggy587

Ziggy587 TDPRI Member

I know, right!? I was so disappointed with it.

The Truetone 1 Spot Pro CS7 looks great!

haggardfan1 and RetroTeleRod like this.
  5. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Meister

I got a Truetone CS12 and never looked back. Worth every penny.

haggardfan1 likes this.
  6. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I have a Truetone CS-7. I love that thing. It powers everything and has never seemed under powered or made a lick of noise. I have their step down transformer that they make so I can power a 9V pedal from the 18V tap if I need to. I power two TC NOVA pedals which are 12V with no problems.

7. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Holic

Most people here will say to get one of the Voodoo Labs power supplies. But those can cost well over $100. I have this Caline brick, and it works perfectly (I have 9 pedals at the moment). Cost about $30.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FS6SP5S/?tag=tdpri-20

Doctorx33 likes this.
  8. Peregrino69

Peregrino69 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I've been considering this one. Is it truly a fully isolated block, i.e. all outputs are completely separated, or is it the same halfway as some others are selling with only the 12V and 18V output isolated but 9V outputs share the ground?

9. Ziggy587

Ziggy587 TDPRI Member

Thanks, everyone, for the replies!

I was planning on getting the Voodoo Labs ISO-5 for the longest time, but for some reason I went with the T-Rex Chameleon when it came time to purchase a power supply. Something seemed appealing about it, but now I'm kicking myself. It works great... as long as you keep it away from your pedals.

The Truetone CS-7 looks really good for the price, I'm taking a hard look at that one.

10. GibbyTwin

GibbyTwin Tele-Meister

somewhere between Asbury Park and Atlantic City
    I have a VL Pedal Power 2+ and like it a lot. Yes it was pricey, but sometimes the good stuff is.

11. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

I have the strymon Ojai R30 mounted right on my board with no problems. expensive but I needed 2 18v outlets and this was the one that fit the bill.

12. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

Those are good. I have the Caline CP-04 which has three 300ma outlets replacing three of the 100ma outlets. Quiet as a mouse. $35 on Amazon.

Caline CP-04 Guitar Pedal Power Supply Station Distributor 10 Isolated Output for 9V/12V/18V Effect Pedal with Short Circuit/Overcurrent Protection

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FMRQVPN/?tag=tdpri-20

13. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Meister

I know they're pricey, but the Strymon power supply system is fantastic. Every output has a robust 9V/500mA current and most models have at least one or two outputs that are switchable between 9V(500mA) -- 12V(375mA) -- 18V(250mA). It's also a modular system so it's easy to expand your power supply outputs without needing a second power cord.

14. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Holic

It is not fully isolated, which is why it is inexpensive. But it does provide 12v and 18v outputs, and a couple high output 9v. It also carries a lot more juice overall than the OneSpot, which I used to have. So I'm happy.

15. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I kept trying to find a reason to avoid getting the ISO-5, but just bit the bullet and did it. This was a few years ago now, and the ISO-5 has been perfectly boring, meaning that it works so flawlessly that I never really think about it.

Sometimes the rep with gear is so good that it really does just make sense to go ahead and buy it, even if it costs a bit more. IMO, that's how good the Voodoo Lab power supplies are.

sanfi4u likes this.
  16. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Another vote from me for the TrueTone OneSpot Pro. I have the CS7 and I couldn't be happier with it. More than enough taps for my meager board, lets my old Zoom G1 multi play nicely with everyone else, and dead quiet.

17. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

No, not true full ground isolation, same supply as Joyo JP-02.

18. Grady3006

Grady3006 TDPRI Member

Strymon Zuma. I run 8 pedals, 2 @ 18v and no noise at all.

19. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

It's not for big or power hungry boards but I want to plug (haha) my Volto 3 - battery-pack power supply. Totally silent, no-issues power for many hours with my modest all-analog 5 pedal board. And I don't have to plug it in at practice or a show! Just set it down, plug a guitar in, push a button and the whole thing lights up. You guys are probably talking about big and complicated boards and I doubt this would the choice there.

20. Ziggy587

Ziggy587 TDPRI Member

For me, there are three distinct scenarios that I would consider different power options for. Noodling by yourself or jamming with others, performing live for an audience, and recording.

Right now I have about 8 pedals in the effects loop and another 3-5 that go to the input. And let's face it, the number of pedals I have is gonna be plus and minus until the day I die. Right now it consists of...

Effects Loop:
    Dunlop GCB-95 Cry Baby
    Boss DD-3 Delay
    Ibanez DL10 Dleay
    Boss BF-2 Flanger
    Ibanez DFL Flanger
    MXR Phase 90
    Boss CH-1 Chorus
    DOD FX40B Equalizer

Input:
    Dunlop GCB-95 Cry Baby
    DigiTech Whammy 4
    Boss TR-2
    Overdrive/Distortion - Adding Soon
    Tuner - Probably adding soon

For everyday use, I want them all set up and powered. If I'm just noodling, jamming, or writing, I don't know what I might want so I want to be able to use anything at any time. If I ever practice or jam away from home, I want to be able to just throw my pedal board on the floor and plug in instrument cables

But, if I'm ever playing a set live, I will follow the KISS philosophy (keep it simple, stupid!). Live, my pedal board will only have what I absolutely need for that particular set. I doubt I will ever need ALL of my pedals for one set, being that I have a lot of duplicate effect types. I would have backup options, such as battery, but my preference would be a power supply over batteries. I was playing a small set once with just three Boss stomp boxes. To not have to worry about running power out to my board, I decided to just use a battery in each pedal. Well, I forgot to unplug the pedals after setting up so by the time we were going on the batteries were all dead. Luckily I had a daisy chain power adapter and extension cord to save the day, but after that experience I will never have batteries be my number 1 option for live sets again.

Recording, I will also follow the KISS philosophy. But I would also opt to use batteries when possible. Most of my pedals have the standard 9v DC power requirement, but the Whammy 4 takes 9v AC. I wont be powering that with batteries any time soon! Granted, I would like to trade mine for the newest incarnation which takes the standard 9v DC, but for right now this is what I've got.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.