Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Good PAF humbucker

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by cocoboudin, Feb 7, 2013.

1. cocoboudin

cocoboudin Tele-Holic

Oct 4, 2010
    canada
    I'm looking for a good PAF humbucker to put in 1 of my tele(neck). I don't want to spend to much money for it, if anybody have any recomendation feel free to post $50 to $80 i'm a tight budget, thanks. Cocoboudin

2. Chrismo

Chrismo Friend of Leo's

Seymour Duncan '59.

3. BB

BB Friend of Leo's

May 17, 2003
    Great Pacific NW
    As Chrismo said, the 59 is a good one. A few more in the budget realm that I really like are Dimarzio's 36th Anniversary buckers and Tonerider A4's.

Buy used if you can. You'll get a lot more pickup for your money. Good luck on your search!

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. YoGeorge

YoGeorge Tele-Holic

Mar 16, 2003
    Michigan
    Duncan '59...make sure you get the neck model which is gonna be a bit clearer. Fender uses them in tele necks on models all the way up to the Custom Shop stuff. I've got one in a MIM tele and had it in another tele for years before that. (And I did buy it used.)

George

6. Tele-phone man

Tele-phone man Tele-Afflicted

Sep 11, 2006
    Asheville, NC
    The SD Jazz is a great neck pup, and it's even clearer than the '59. A Bill n' Becky Wilde L600 3.6H makes a great neck pup, too.

7. robt57

robt57 Doctor of Teleocity

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    SH-55, or just take a T-bobbin and have one coil unwound 3%...5%... whatever....

I personally like the Older Dimarzio PAF HBs too.

8. elelpe

elelpe Tele-Afflicted

May 1, 2008
    SEA
    Yup, no need to change pots too.

9. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Dec 8, 2010
    Montreal
    I had a 1970 Dimarzio PAF in my tele for many years - if I did it again I would also put in the SD jazz, I have one in a Les Paul.

Some humbuckers have a tendency to get bass-heavy on the bottom 2 strings when used in a tele but it only means cutting some bass on the amp.

Also never changed any pots - had plenty of top end on the PAF but it was much louder than the stock bridge p/u.

Eventually I put in a lil 59 and recently went to an Area T set instead after the PAF quit.

10. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Friend of Leo's

Sep 7, 2010
    whitebird, idaho
    SD Seth Lover neck pickup on Ebay right now for $80 plus $6.50 shipping.

11. Meowy

Meowy Tele-Meister

Feb 22, 2008
    NY
    You can get just about any Duncan within your budget.

If you want to save a few bucks a Tonerider Alnico IV CLassic is also great. IMO, the A4 has something going for it in the vintage sweetness dept that you don't find in most A2 and A5 pickups. I have a pair I bought for $80 (for the pair) in a Schecter Corsair semihollow and could never imagine swapping them out

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  12. blimpo

blimpo Tele-Meister

Mar 29, 2009
    southern indiana
    You're right about the SD Jazz, problem is I have yet to find one F-spaced to use on a Tele.

13. vintage clubber

vintage clubber Friend of Leo's

Apr 12, 2012
    Mechanicsville, VA
    F-Spaced only matters in the bridge position and it's really for cosmetic reasons. Neck position would still take standard spacing.

the pickup in the bridge position of this tele is standard spaced.

[​IMG]

14. cocoboudin

cocoboudin Tele-Holic

Oct 4, 2010
    canada
    Thank's for all the sugestion

15. sonofthesouth

sonofthesouth TDPRI Member

Dec 30, 2012
    florida
    You may want to look at a Stew Macs Parsons St (a poormans PAF) I have some in a L.P. and love em.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.