Good Morning Vietnam

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by nojazzhere, Jun 18, 2019.

1. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

This morning I caught the last 45 minutes or so of (what I consider) the classic film Good Morning Vietnam. I was reminded of how many really good actors were in this......and how many are no longer with us.....J.T.Walsh, Bruno Kirby, Noble Willingham, and of course Robin Williams. (at his manic best) Fortunately, the talented Forest Whitaker, Robert Wuhl, Richard Edson and many others are still around. But the loss of Robin is the most heartbreaking. His rapid-fire, stream of consciousness delivery is un-matched by anyone I'm aware of. If you've never seen Good Morning Vietnam, try to catch it.....if you have, watch it again. Robin's worth it! :(

2. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

I'm not a Robin Williams hater... but Good Morning Vietnam was one of his few performances that jived with me. I liked it. Most of his other stuff didn't click with me, which is ok... because I know it did with a lot of other people. Tragic how his life ended.

3. nojazzhere

If Good Morning Vietnam hadn't been based on true events, (and the real Adrian Cronauer) it would have had to have been WRITTEN for Robin.....it just fit his personality so perfectly. And yeah...."tragic" is the word. :(

4. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah, I never fully warmed up to RW......that unstoppable frenetic thing that was his trademark and that millions of people loved, for me, didn't work. Especially on talk shows, even way back in the seventies, I had a feeling he wasn't a particularily happy or very centered kind of guy.....there was a sense of desperation about how he behaved.....the 'sad clown' archetype I guess. I also sensed he was probably a really nice, sincere guy and someone who'd be a good, solid friend to have....although probably quite tiring to be around....lol.

He made A LOT of people happy for many years and I guess that's what matters in the end.......

5. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Robin Williams was one of my four favorite comedians as a gradeschool kid in the '70s. Him, Jonathan Winters, Steve Martin and George Carlin. Comedians seemed to be huge then, almost on the level of rock musicians.

Saw that movie in the theater when it was first released. A theater over in N. Dallas that is gone. Along with the mall it was in. Theaters and malls seem to be going away. Do I detect a thread through all of this? Looks like we either get comfortable with the utter impermanence of everything, or we get to experience a lot of otherwise avoidable pain.

"Always hopeful, yet discontent, he knows changes aren't permanent. But change is"

Wildcard_35, DrASATele and nojazzhere like this.
  6. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

First : J.T. Walsh and Bruno Kirby were two of the best character actors ever.

Robin ?

“Funny” is at least as subjective as “good music”.

I liked some of his stuff and GMV is one of the best , of course along with Good Will Hunting.

His brain killed him, well, the disorder in his brain.

His WTF interview with Marc Maron is a fantastic look inside the dude. Marc went to his house.

He was always great with Craig Ferguson , Craig was not intimidated and Robin loved to have good comics make him laugh .

7. nojazzhere

It's appropriate you mention Jonathan Winters, Mike......I heard Robin say several times that Jonathon was his NUMBER ONE idol.....not that their deliveries were the same, but they both shared an "off the wall" sense of humor.
    And as far as the humor of "impermanence".....a comedian once did an act of the "old guy" (us?) talking about showing a youngster around town, and every place he pointed out was where something "used to be". "See that bank over there?...That's where my favorite restaurant used to be. Over there? That freeway?.....that's where we used to play ball.....etc." It was funny, but thought provoking as well.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    Greggorios and 4 Cat Slim like this.
  8. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I wondered how much of that manic behaviour was from what he was doin'

nojazzhere likes this.
  9. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Meister

If there was one role custom made for him, it was GMV. I enjoyed it from start to finish. And Kirby, the wannabe comedian, hilarious.

nojazzhere likes this.
  10. nojazzhere

I honestly don't know about drug use, but he was very public about his abuse of alcohol, and how much better he felt once he got sober.

soundchaser59 and Greggorios like this.
  11. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Great movie, I am a fan and have been since I was a kid. The soundtrack to this movie is awesome too.

12. Moriarty

Moriarty Tele-Meister

That's funny. I just watched it again last week. Very powerful. All those great performances, the tonal shift in the middle... Almost a perfect film.
    JT Walsh... One of the best.

verb boten and nojazzhere like this.
  13. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

GMV is one of my favourite Robin Williams movies. I also loved his work in Aladdin and Mrs. Doubtfire. He made the transition to serious drama much better than some other great comedic actors. I really liked Dead Poets Society and Good Will Hunting. My favourite of his movies, though, is The Fisher King. He was a great match with Terry Gilliam.

14. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's

Yeah he occasionally had me at “ok that’s enough” mode but overall I loved him. Back in the 80’s and 90’s I lived in a few different neighborhoods in San Francisco and he was known for often showing up at a local coffee shop, grocery store, or restaurant on a typical day and going into his schtick much to the huge delight of all who happen to be there. We locals treasured him big time.

15. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It may have enhanced it somewhat. But what Robin Williams possessed more of than any other human being I've ever seen is the ability to compose and deliver the definitive retort to someones straight line before it had completely passed their lips.

We don't discuss it much, but each persons brain clocks at a different speed. Mine is very slow. I can think of funny **** to say if I have enough time...but in person, my clock speed is not fast enough to have the timing necessary to click along like some of the witty folks I've been around. It sucks, but what'cha gonna do?

Robin had such a unique gift. I was one who appreciated everything he ever did...

16. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oh - you mean cocaine and booze ? Why beat around the bush? He never did.

He was sober from roughly 1986 to 2006 and then relapsed. He went into rehab for 8 weeks and was sober the rest of his life.

He famously remarked that cocaine slowed him down.

The HBO doc is real good and any interview where Bobcat talks about him is recommended as they were best friends .

Somebody asked Bobcat if he and Robin ever talked about suicide. He said yeah we’re damaged comedians , we talked about suicide for 31 years ! Sometimes we even talked about other things...

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  17. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Meister

"Awakenings" was another fine serious role, he played very well off DeNiro.

dlew919 and kelnet like this.
  18. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

Far from his typical manic self was his role in Good Will Hunting. I thought he was amazing in that, and it showed how expansive his talents were. He didn't always need to be wired to be a great actor. Another role I enjoyed him in was Awakening, with Robert DeNiro. Also a very different character than his usual self. I'm sure there are many other roles like these but I can't recall them off the top of my head. His passing was very, very tragic.

19. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

ok, he beat me too it already.

20. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Meister

It's funny; his first serious role (don't remember what it was) had me anticipating a burst of his spastic humor, which of course never came. His transition to serious roles was truely amazing. Yes, what a loss.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.