Good, inexpensive Tele bodies?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Muddslide, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Muddslide

Muddslide Friend of Leo's

I haven't had a Tele in some time. I'd like to put one together...actually, if I could find one that came stock with a neck I loved, I'd just do that if I could afford it.

I used to have a '73 Tele that had THE chunkiest baseball bat neck on it. I loved that neck. My hands still miss the feel of it.

I think I can get a Warmoth neck that would fit that bill, but it's not going to be cheap.

I do NOT have a lot of spendy cash so I thought putting a Tele together piecemeal might be more expensive in the long run, but cheaper to do it in stages than buying a stock Tele outright.

Since the major expense will be the neck, can anyone recommend a good but not-so-expensive body?

Alternately, are there any models of Tele that come with the super-chonk maple necks? I remember playing a Baja a few years back (I think it was a Baja) and the neck was thick...

2. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

`
    Classic Vibe bodies can be had for $100-$150 on eBay if you're patient (or are willing to take a "scratch & dent")...

`

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  3. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Meister

How much cash are you willing to part with at once and how much overall for this? Could help in figuring out where to go for small pieces vs holding off a little and getting better, bigger purchases that have a higher increase in quality than price.

4. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Holic

I recently built an Esquire from a Classic 50's Fender Esquire neck and a body I bought from "Guitarsbydesign" on Reverb. The body cost $100 shipped. It was unfinished "Eastern Pine, very light weight, and everything lined up perfectly. It needed some sanding but that's within my limited skill set. I finished it with light blue milk paint and wax - super easy - "rustic" but I like that.

As far as fat necks go, Fender just started selling these: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...ster-fat-u-replacement-neck-maple-fingerboard

5. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

Alright,you'll get some disagreement about this,but my Guitar fetish tele body was really good.
    I also like rosser on ebay for unfinished bodies.
    Then ebay has fat necks.Try typing chunky in the description for tele necks.About $100 or so.

Bruxist, Treadplatedual and ftbtx like this.
  6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I bought my Warmoth "fatback", conversion scale neck two and a half years ago.....unfinished, with nut for about $200 or so. Best investment ever!

Bruxist likes this.
  7. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I've used two of them - and the cheapies, not the GSX ones - and had no problems at all.

- D

brbadg likes this.
  8. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's

There’s cheap ones on eBay. I’ve gotten bodies as cheap as $25. Most of those are Asian-made no-name basswood.

9. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

`
    Be careful of Squier bodies from models like the "Bullet" series, since things like Fender pickguards don't interchange...

`

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    Skydog1010 likes this.
  10. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

I would give the Allparts TRO-FAT or TMO-FAT necks a look. About $110, unfinished. Throw some tru-oil on them I may be good to go.

For a bodies, I would look at Tone Bomb from Canada. They sell bodies made of pine, Ash, alder and other woods. And they’re very well-made. Also unfinished.

brbadg and ftbtx like this.
  11. Telecentric

Telecentric Tele-Meister

I'm quite happy with the GFS XGP double bound body I bought, $79.

Boatneck or fatback neck from Warmoth should run right about $200, a little more if you get a Tusq nut.

12. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The Rosser bodies are really nice quality and he is great to work with.

13. Muddslide

Wow. Thanks for all the replies!

14. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

If I were in your shoes, I'd be looking at Rosser on ebay or Tone Bomb, as mentioned. For necks, I'd go for an Allparts TMO or TRO-FAT or a Warmoth Fatback. I think the Warmoth Fatback is better, but I also like 7.25" radius instead of 9.5"...

Those will get you where you need to go. In other words, what @El Tele Lobo said.

15. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Go on ebay and type in "pine telecaster body" and when you see the seller in Omaha with 70 year old pine bodies....buy one. You should be able to get one for about $75 to your door. Pre-routed and shot in nitro....the rest of the assembly is up to you, but they are great bodies.

Skydog1010 likes this.
  16. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

As for the neck situation, I would just get yourself a new take off Baja 50's neck with tuners. They exist out there and you can trust that it will be built correctly and also keeps the value better on your partscaster. I like Warmoth necks as well, but you often have to wait awhile for them and it will still cost the same as the Fender authentic Baja neck.

archetype and Skydog1010 like this.
  17. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

I scored a nice Musikraft off of ebay. If you're not in a hurry, that's the way to go...

18. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Meister

Please don't use me as door mat for posting this..
    But Rondo has some really inexpensive complete T types that come with decent necks. I have bought several and given a couple away to children. I have one that I am particularly fond of and it cost me a whopping 97.00... intonation is spot on and the flat 14 inch radius rosewood is a benders delight. Hard to beat.

telestratosonic likes this.
  19. Muddslide

I could just not be lazy and look, but is the Baja 50s Tele still available?

20. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

horax likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.