Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Good, Inexpensive Strat-Sized Bridge Humbucker?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Radspin, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 7, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    As the thread title says--I'm looking for a good-sounding Strat-sized bridge humbucker. I want to replace the stock bridge pickup in an old MIC Squier Strat I bought. I'm not too picky on the fine nuances of sound quality other than that I'd like a thicker, fatter sound than the typical import Strat bridge pickup, and I want it to be hum-canceling.

I see that GFS has a rail-type pickup but they say I might have to enlarge the pickup hole a bit, and I don't want to do that. I also see that they have stacked noise-canceling models but I'm thinking those aren't going to have the beefier sound I'm looking for. If I'm wrong, please advise.

JL_LI likes this.

2. SweetClyde99

SweetClyde99 Tele-Meister

Feb 1, 2016
    Jefferson City, MO
    I haven’t tried one in a strat, but the best SC-sized humbucker i found for my tele was a Dimarzio Tone Zone T. The strat version has some great reviews too, and I’m sure the tone is similar.

They shouldn’t be too expensive used if the price tag is too high.

3. IronSchef

IronSchef Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

I had an SD Cool Rails on a Sq Standard Strat mid position - it fit perfectly w/o any modification to PG or SC route.

SD makes a "Vintage Rails" SC-sized HB that might work well for you

4. VintageSG

VintageSG Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Huddersfield, UK
    I had an Artec rail humbucker in mine. Fine sounding and inexpensive. They're four wire so splitty/series/parallel options abound too.
    Aside: I have an Artec rail in my Tele ( I need to update the avatar pic ) and in my lap steel.

5. Golem

Golem Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Wilde pickups are pretty cheap new and could fit the bill. Used I've find good deal on dimarzio pickups that aren't in vogue like the fast track 1.

6. eallen

eallen Tele-Meister

Jul 30, 2013
    Greenwood, Indiana
    +2 on Wilde! Call Becky an she will get you set up. Some of the best sound and quality at any price but happen to be affordable.

Golem likes this.

7. jimmytheshoe

jimmytheshoe TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Aug 1, 2017
    Chicago
    Seymour Duncan Little 59.
    Got them in two different strat pickguards, one middle/neck and the other has one in the neck.
    I'm sure it would sound fine in the bridge.

Mountianjustice and picknfool like this.

8. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    There are a lot of dual rail type Strat pickups on eBay, Artec as mentioned, also might check on the Donlis pickups that I've read a lot of good reviews about here on the TDPRI.

And if you go used, Duncan, Dimarzio , Lawrence etc....

9. acrylicsuperman

acrylicsuperman Tele-Holic

Nov 17, 2010
    Arizona
    You would have to find one used, but if you can find a duncan performer scorcher, i put one of those through it's paces for 10 years and found it to be a great cheap pickup. It also sounds good with 250k pots.

10. Plumber

Plumber Tele-Meister

Jun 5, 2014
    london
    I popped my early 90s JB jr in a strat again

Love that pickup

acrylicsuperman likes this.

11. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Tele-Holic

Jan 4, 2017
    Wales
    Irongear make very good p/ups. Their Jailhouse Rail fits the bill for you at £28 plus whatever postage to the States is.

12. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Concur. I have one in the bridge of a Strat and it is very nice. I have used the Tele bridge version and was not pleased, but the Strat version is much nicer.
    Caveat in fairness to SD, I have only tried the one Tele L'il 59 and I bought it used, so it could have been a lemon. I bought the Strat version used too though, and it's great.

Rex

13. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Tele Lil JB no slouch either. More rock however.

14. Radspin

Mar 7, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    Great suggestions everyone, and many I hadn't thought of. By the way, I have a Little '59 in my "good" Strat in the bridge position and love it. Just can't see spending around $85 to put it in a guitar that cost me $25!

jimmytheshoe likes this.

15. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2014
    Arivaca AZ
    The GFS rails are probably Artec. They are OK. I have used Belcat ones too. You can get either Artec or Belcat rails on Ebay. FWIW they are a tight fit but the amount you would need to file is minute and can be done by hand in seconds. I put 3 in a Squier SE strat and had to remove less than a mm.

16. Radspin

Mar 7, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    Someone is selling an Artec rail on eBay for $19.66 with free shipping...sounds like it might be the pickup BryMelvin is describing. I sent an e-mail asking if it would fit directly into a Strat pickguard...and didn't get an answer yet (he answered another question I had within five minutes). I have a few extra pickguards lying around so no problem doing a little filing even though I'd rather not.

17. Direwolf

Direwolf Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Nov 16, 2009
    Louisiana
    The Wilde's are great. Affordable, too.

18. Radspin

Mar 7, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    I've been curious about the Wilde pickups. So now might be the time to satisfy my curiosity!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.