Good heckler comebacks

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Digital Larry, May 16, 2019.

1. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin Friend of Leo's

When I was living in Austin, TX I had the wonderful privledge of attending many of the Austin City Limits television show tapings. One of my favorites was when Dolly Parton and Nickle Creek taped and episode. Lots of highlights from those show never made it to the 30 minute or hour long broadcast. During a pause in the action while several musicians were tuning their instruments, someone in the audience yelled out "Happy Birthday Dolly". I think her actual birthday was within a week of this taping.

Dolly did not hesitate a second and turned toward the "heckler" and said "Daddy, I thought I told you to wait in the Truck". That show and that incident still stand out as one of the Highlights of more than 30 Austin City Limits shows I got to attend.

[​IMG]

Lost_N_Austin

2. Gigante_Miguel

Gigante_Miguel TDPRI Member

Our shows are basically non stop back and forth banter between the audience and me and our drummer. We hold our own

Geoff738 likes this.
  3. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

"I got a request. And her and I are going to discuss it after the show at my house. In the meantime, here's another song!"

Matt G likes this.
  4. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

The best heckle I know (which he has told against himself) was to the English Comic Jimmy Carr. He is known for destroying hecklers forensically, but this one got the better of him (to his delight I think).

(halfway through routine): Heckler - My mother just died of cancer!

Jimmy Carr: Oh, I'm sorry, that's terrible. But why are you yelling that to me?

Heckler - Because it was funnier than this.

5. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Tele-Afflicted

6. Uncle Butch

Uncle Butch Tele-Meister

If it's a guy I ask them if their mommy knows they're here. If it's a female I say "I thought I told you to wait in the truck".

7. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

My neighbor comes to hear us play and Year’s for Warpigs......

nojazzhere likes this.
  8. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

One night the singer announced the next song was from Clapton. Some guy yells out "Promises". Singer says we don't play "Promises", and I wasn't paying attention to how close I was to my vocal mic when I turned to the guitarist and say "we don't make them, either". Everyone heard it, laughed, and we had no more requests for the rest of the night.

9. joealso

joealso Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I admit that I have been known to shout out a request (never more than one) at small gigs. I'd say the band / performers are usually receptive, maybe 7 out of 10 times. The other 30% just ignore me and I get the hint. But the first time I saw David Bromberg, it didn't turn out that way. I was in the front row and shouted out a request. Bromberg stepped to the mic and explained that he's an old Jewish man who lives in a house with 2 women, his wife and daughter. "The only place I have any control over my life," he said, "is right here on stage and I'll decide what songs I play."

Jason Isbell dislikes requests so much that he says he never plays them. And if someone requests a song that is already on his set list, he skips it.

10. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Whenever someone yells out "Free Bird," we break into a terrible, awful version of the song that we kind of make up as we go along. A few bars of that and people are cracking up.

On another note, I get fan mail about my work in my day job and my favorite of all time - I have a printed out copy framed on the wall of my den - was, in its entirety, "You are an ignorant (very bad word) and your writing is (another bad word)."

I replied, "Mom?"

Never heard back...

11. Bendyha

Bendyha Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

John Cooper-Clark........"I can't hear you...your mouths full of s**t"

simoncroft likes this.
  12. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I once read (and mentioned here before) that RYAN Adams once had a guy removed from a club for yelling out a request for Summer of 69.....a song by BRYAN Adams. Apparently Ryan is so sick of people confusing him with Bryan, he no longer thinks it's amusing.....;)

telemnemonics, simoncroft and joealso like this.
  13. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Meister

I was at a Buzzcocks gig in Newcastle in the 90's. The band had just left the stage & the audience were chanting 'The Buzzcocks...The Buzzcocks...The Buzzcocks...'. The late, great Pete Shelley walked back on stage, looking really annoyed & screamed 'It's Buzzcocks NOT The Buzzcocks. How many times do I have to tell you'. Everyone fell silent & a guy right behind me shouted 'Ooh, get her'. I don't think Pete heard, but dozens of people around me were laughing their pants off. Which didn't improve his mood. They were still great though with their famous 25 minute encores.

guitartwonk and simoncroft like this.
  14. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Childish. What a diva.

Matt G, stinkey, flathd and 3 others like this.
  15. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I've heard that more recently, he just played it. But I think that's the least of his worries these days.

stinkey and nojazzhere like this.
  16. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Hootie!!

17. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

Oh yeah, Jimmy Carr is the KING of taking down hecklers! They come to his show just to be destroyed by the master. He's one funny dude.

simoncroft likes this.
  18. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

When I was 18 yrs old, a bunch of us saw April Wine in concert. They were a favourite band of mine at that time, and I was really excited to see them for the first time. During a pause between songs, I yelled out "Play Weeping Widow." Myles Goodwyn, the lead singer, looked right at me and said, "Yeah, we'll get to that one." Man, I was so thrilled that he actually heard me and responded. Then they played it and I was just screaming along with it. That has always been one of my concert highlights, and 40 years later I still remember the moment clearly.

I wonder how many performers recognize the kind of impact they can have on a fan.

19. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Our lady lead singer had been in a car accident, and had recently discovered how much she enjoyed percoset with her usual consumption of alcohol.
    By midway through the 2nd set, she was tripping over her monitor and went and had a seat in the audience...and began to heckle her own band!!!

20. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

My favorite is,

"HEY! Do I tell YOU how to dump those cans into the back of the truck?"

Matt G and telemnemonics like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.