Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Good Guitar Center story

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by r1962j, Jun 30, 2017.

1. r1962j

r1962j TDPRI Member

Oct 31, 2010
    St. Paul, MN
    We all hear the bad stories so I thought I would share a good experience I had at Guitar Center. I recently discovered some new strings that I really like. I had 3 unopened sets of the strings I had been using. I buy most of my strings at GC but some at Music Go Round. They are the same price it just depends on where I am at the time. So I truly thought I had bought these strings from GC. I decided to take them in and see if they would exchange them for the new strings I like now. After I was in the store and had explained to the sales guy what I wanted to do, I could clearly see I had not bought them there since the strings I brought in all had a sticker on the package with the price and none of their strings had tags. Bottom line is they gladly exchanged them for the ones I wanted.

Now part of me thinks sure they would do this since they sell them and they are unopened but since it was obvious I had not bought them there they certainly could have sent me on my way. The guy obviously knew they did not come from there also.

Anyway I just thought I would share the story since we don't hear a lot of good ones about them. I'm sure more happen but we as humans tend to only share the negative for some reason. I thought it was very nice of them and I was happy. It probably will make me a little more loyal to buy my strings there from now on. :)

2. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Tele-Afflicted

I've encountered many folks at GC just like that. I happy you shared it.

Jakedog likes this.

3. WetBandit

WetBandit Tele-Holic

Oct 11, 2016
    I actually walked into the local GC a few weeks ago, because it was either that or follow the wife and in-laws into Best buy...

And much to my surprise when I couldn't find a single instrument cable the guy at the counter opened a brand new one for me to try out a mini 5150iii

That actually made my day.

Glad you shared!

Jakedog likes this.

4. troy2003

troy2003 Tele-Afflicted

Mar 30, 2010
    Central Minnesota
    I've rarely had a less than pleasant experience at GC. Mostly they leave me to my devices and it's great. The key is going there when the shredders with the amps to 11 aren't auditioning for the most obnoxious riff meister. Plus I like to talk gear with them

emisilly likes this.

5. rickthescot

rickthescot Tele-Meister

Feb 14, 2011
    Texas
    Love the string club myself.

6. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    I've had some good experiences buying used guitars. No, it's not all bad. Wouldn't keep going back if it was.

7. WetBandit

WetBandit Tele-Holic

Oct 11, 2016
    Strangely enough this is probably where my biggest blunders have originated when visiting GC.

I stopped in there once a couple of years ago and was looking for a full size hollowbody (don't ask why) and as i pick up a few and play one of the salesmen asked me what I was looking for, so I told him...

And he literally without hesitation presented me with this! Ibanez-RGKP6-kaoss-pad.jpg
    So at first I thought he is was joking, but much to my surprise he was dead serious!
    I mean I really thought he was about to read me a sales brochure on this thing.

I eventually told him, that we were worlds apart...so then he gets kinda pissy with me and says "you don't know a great guitar/deal when it's literally handed to you" that's when I refrained from violence and left.

emisilly likes this.

8. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    I like everyone at the Brookfield store but Jason is my favorite. He does the simple old fashioned polite thing where he will clean and polish a guitar to perfection while he talks to me as I pay. I've never walked out with a guitar that looked less than perfect after Jason goes over everything. It's a simple polite thing but he does it every time and you can tell that he takes pride in it.

Little things can mean a lot.

callasabra, Jakedog and troy2003 like this.

9. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Tele-Holic

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    Thanks so much for this post. I've never understood the animosity toward GC. The ones I've been to have been fine. It's just a guitar store, they sell guitar stuff. That's it.

The sales staff seem knowledgeable enough, and when they aren't (sorry dude, I'm a drummer), they usually make the effort to get you an answer. If they don't have what I'm looking for, I go look somewhere else. So what.

Tele1966 likes this.

10. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    For me, the problem with GC is it seems to be designed by car dealerships. Lots of models on display, salespeople that pounce on you if you look like you might have some money, and then try to push products on you that really doesn't fit what you wanted in the first place.

The secret seems to be dressing down and being old. They really seem to go after those that act like they might be new to the game. When you are old, they seem to assume you have been playing for 30 years.

The last time I was there was also for strings, picks, and new capo. While I as there, a couple of the employees asked me if I missed gigging? I was a little caught off-guard by the question and asked why they asked? They told me that they read that 30 years was the common cut-off for people to lose interest.

I scratched my head and chuckled as I am on my 3rd year studying guitar...told them they were right and that I only do studio work now.

Cheecharron, xafinity and Joe Sailor like this.

11. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Tele-Afflicted

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    I've grown to appreciate ours. The guys have made me some pretty good deals. I typically tell them exactly what I'm there for, whether it's buying or window shopping.

One guy convinced me not to trade in an amp because he felt he the offer he was making was a dud. I appreciated his candor.

ahanfland likes this.

12. pdmartin

pdmartin Tele-Meister

Oct 29, 2012
    I have twice been to GC in Columbus, Ohio and couldn't get waited on like I was invisible. I wandered around about half an hour and left as apparently they don't want to sell me anything. Maybe they thought I was too old.

soulgeezer and Milspec like this.

13. kidmo

kidmo Friend of Leo's

May 25, 2008
    Funkytown
    I like the free picks they put out for me in the acoustic room.

14. rad1

rad1 Tele-Meister

Aug 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz CA
    There is really nothing about GC to rag on. It is not a mom and pop store, but that is also its strength. I like the large selection and I'm not concerned with the quality of the ever changing staff because I already know what I'm looking for. There is no other place I can go to find such a wide variety of guitars.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    emisilly, stratoman1 and JuneauMike like this.

15. MA6200

MA6200 Tele-Meister

May 12, 2017
    Maryland
    I like the one near me. Bought a bass cab used online and the shipping store did a great job packing it, came as described to my local store, the manager who greeted me at the counter opened it up and made sure it was what I was expecting.

I'd never let them touch my instruments with good luthiers in the area but for buying used gear it's often a decent option particularly since you can return it within a few days. No craigslist flakery or intentionally misrepresented stuff.

16. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Tele-Holic

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin

You know the expression "damning with faint praise"?

17. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Tele-Holic

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin

My animosity is for chains in general, that push out superior local businesses by luring dilettante customers through name recognition. The local music stores here were much better, and now they're gone.

18. jimash

jimash Tele-Afflicted

Nov 5, 2013
    NJ
    The guy at the mic and Keys desk gave me a good deal on expression pedals.
    First he said they were $20, then he asked someone and they gave me two for $20.

19. Tele Ted

Tele Ted Tele-Holic

May 14, 2012
    Kern County, CA
    For the most part I have had good experiences at guitar center. I frequent the ones in Bakersfield, Santa Clarita and Oxnard California. I've gotten to know most of the sales people there and they're always usually pretty friendly and helpful.

Most of my negative guitar center experiences have to do with the wanna be riff meisters playing too loud. It gets kind of irritating when you have a cacophony of lousy guitar players.

Mechanic likes this.

20. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's

Jun 11, 2010
    Montana
    I have been to a few in my travels, they always treated me right. Shout out to Edina, Minnesota store, great people, LOTS of inventory.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.