Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Good Cheap Fuzz?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by BeatlesAreMyJam, Feb 24, 2011.

1. BeatlesAreMyJam

BeatlesAreMyJam Tele-Holic

Any recommendations for a good, affordable fuzz pedal? I'd like to spend under $100, preferably more like $50 (new or used). I don't have a particular sound in mind. I'm new to fuzz and I'm just experimenting, so I'm looking for something that people think sounds good and is a good value. Thanks.

2. RocknDrTom

RocknDrTom Tele-Holic

3. Kmld89

Kmld89 Tele-Meister

Are you into pedal modding at all? For $80 (new) you can get an ehx big muff and for about $10 in parts you can turn it into an incredible little box. That would be my recommendation. If pedal mods aren't your thing, I've "read" (never used one myself) great things about the Way Huge Swollen Pickle (a modified muff circuit). They are out of your price range new, but a used one can be found for under $100. Another one of my favorites is the Dunlop Dallas Arbiter Fuzzface. Dunlop has made many variations of the fuzzface and it's no secret that most of them aren't that great. The model I'm talking about has JHF-1 on the pcb and they are mostly handwired. An easy way to tell them apart is that they say "Dallas Arbiter" on the black stomp pad instead of "Dunlop". The prices on these are starting to creep up, but you can occasionally find one on the 'bay for a decent price. If your interested in the mods for a BM, I can give you a fantastic website with tons of easy mods.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. BucksStudent

BucksStudent Banned

The Danelectro Octave/Fuzz pedal, which is under thirty bucks I think, is what I used for a long time. It's basically a Foxx fuzz, but in a plastic casing - So a lot of people gut it and make a metal casing. It's that good.

Nels Cline uses them.

6. storyboards27

storyboards27 Tele-Meister

7. thedevilisbad

thedevilisbad TDPRI Member

8. silentechoes

silentechoes Tele-Meister

My recomendation is similar to this, but maybe the EHX Big Muff w/ tone wicker for the same cost (about $90). It is a very versatile tone box. Of course my favorite fuzz ever is the Barber Trifecta, but at $150 it's a bit out of the range. Still couldn't hurt to look.

9. BeatlesAreMyJam

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I checked out some You Tube demos. That French Toast is pretty wicked. And the price is certainly right. The Barber seems very versatile. Maybe I can find a good deal on a used one. Unfortunately I'm not up to BYOC. But if there are any other ideas I'd love to hear 'em. Thanks!!

10. BucksStudent

BucksStudent Banned

Aren't Barber pedals kinda expensive, though?:?: *Check that, I just googled it - Some are, some aren't*

11. JG806

JG806 Tele-Holic

Yep. Heard good things about this one. I have some from the Cool Cat series and they're great. This guys does great demos & is also a TDPRI'r.

12. fraser

fraser Tele-Holic

the french toast is a great place to start. i was never into fuzz, but when i wanted to try one, i grabbed a french toast for $35 on ebay. i really liked it, and it showed me that i might enjoy other fuzzes as well. so i started making my own copies of simple old school fuzzes. dont think i ever would have bothered if i hadnt tried the french toast though. if i was less of a tinkerer or diy kinda guy, i wouldve bought several french toasts and called it a day lol.

13. brown meadows

brown meadows Tele-Meister

14. mijome07

mijome07 TDPRI Member

I'm going to be getting one of these: Dan Electro Fab Fuzz

15. BeatlesAreMyJam

The Dano Cool Cat Fuzz seemed from the You Tube demos I watched a little tame. I don't think it was the FAB Fuzz I heard. I'm looking for something really dramatic. Now I'm gassing for a Trifecta.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  16. lareplus

lareplus Tele-Afflicted

I don't know what your taste is but I am certainly becoming enamored of the EH Bass Muff, which is allegedly the old Russian Green Muff, with some bass features added. .

17. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Friend of Leo's

I'd say up your budget a little and get a fuzz with the real Si transistors like the vintage ones. Here's what I have:

http://www.hartmanelectronicstore.com/BC108-Silicon-Fuzz-Pedal-BC108.htm

Once I plugged into this I realized what fuzz was all about.

Of course it depends whether you want a Ge, Si, or Muff-style fuzz. Either way, I'd go with a classic-style circuit as opposed to a cheep imitation that says just says "fuzz" on the box. You can spend $100's on booteek fuzzes, but there are a lot of good options under $150.

18. Axis29

Axis29 Friend of Leo's

The Danelectro Cool Cat, with a Tele and smaller Fender amp can Do Led Zeppelin I all day long. I love it. But it;'s not my regular fuzz sound.

I did like the Russian Muff that I picked up at a Music Flea Market for about 20 bucks. I'm very curious about the Bass Muff.

My taste in fuzz crept up though... I started with some lesser ones and wasn't happy with the sounds I got (But, pedals have changed a lot in sound quality since then. Thank You Danelectro!). I went from silicon fuzzes liek the ones we're talking about, to germanium fuzzes and that's when I really started to enjoy fuzz and use it often.

What I'm saying is, I hope you don't give up on Fuzz of the French Toast is your only experience.

19. k tone

k tone Tele-Afflicted

It may be out of your price range but my fuzz chase ended with a Musket. Maybe a used one? I think it is some sort of Big Muff derivation. I sold all but my V1 Cool Cat fuzz after I bought my Musket Fuzz (Little Big Muff, Little Big Muff w/ TW, Double Muff).

20. k tone

k tone Tele-Afflicted

21. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity

BEHRINGER SUPER FUZZ!!! super cheap and super awesome! 2 different very cool fuzz modes and also a boost mode.

The afore-mentioned Danelectro French Toast is very cool too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.