Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Good alternative/complement to Fender amps?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Flat6Driver, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Jan 14, 2013
    DC Burbs
    I have a Blues Jr that I use a lot and like and a DRRI that I use a lot at home (since it's bigger and I don't have paying gigs).

Both are great and I like them both. I use pedals a bit but I think I want something a little more rock...or rawk. LOL

I don't need anything big...but what's a good suggestion for the a little more bassline "punch"? Thought about maybe a Vox ac15, but what else is out there?

2. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    None more rawk than Marshall. The new DSL series is getting really good reviews, and comes in a decent range of output ratings.

3. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2013
    NJ
    Blackstar ?

E5RSY likes this.
  4. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    I had one of their small amps briefly, the 15W version IIRC. The clean channel stays clean all the way up, and the dirt channel goes pretty much straight into hard rock territory with no light crunch to be found in the amp anywhere. If you're after a hair metal machine they're great, but if you want just a hint of dirt they're not going to do it.

Brian L and jimash like this.
  5. Flat6Driver

Jan 14, 2013
    DC Burbs

I have never bonded with a Marshall. Now I love stuff recorded with a marshall. But I have never found myself able to work them. But I could revisit it of course.

6. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Holic

Jul 5, 2010
    West Michigan
    Marshall...of course, my 18 watter through a single 12" speaker rattles the entire house and the earth around it. It would give my Twin Reverb a run for the money with my Marshall cab under it.

Never mind. Crank the gain knob up all the way on your favorite OD and stay with what you have.

To be honest, I can get in the neighborhood tone wise with my old Supro Supreme but it won't deliver the bottom end punch like a Marshall. And they don't cost an arm and leg like an ancient Fender. Not cheap, but not out of sight.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    T-bone Ted likes this.
  7. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2013
    NJ
    '68 CPR. Just shop for a motivated sale.

'64 Tele and LudwigvonBirk like this.
  8. powerwagonjohn

powerwagonjohn Tele-Meister

Apr 30, 2013
    minnesota
    AMPEG
    Thanks John

BobbyZ likes this.
  9. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2006
    Singapore
    I have the same amps as you. I reckon you should look into 6L6-equipped amps like the Hot Rod Deluxe series, which have incredible bass response.

That said, in terms of 'punchiness', my Mesa Boogie F30 really puts out one hell of a kick when it comes to funky rhythms. Clean channel works a real treat for pedals too.

T-bone Ted likes this.
  10. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    My first thought is Mesa Boogie as well. Kinda takes that Fender voicing to a place Fender should have gone. It will be more familiar than a Marshall or Vox, neither of which I could bond to.

11. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2011
    clinton, ia
    I love Fender tones and Vox tones. They are different enough to justify bringing both to gigs and switching back and forth depending on the song. Makes for a nice variety of sounds. The last gig I played I brought my 5e3 tweed deluxe and Vox ac15. What a team!

12. ballynally2

ballynally2 Tele-Meister

Jun 7, 2009
    donegal ireland
    More 'bassline punch' than a Fender.mmm.That's what they were made for but Hiwatt comes to mind.Most classic rock amps like Marshall diminish the bass response to get the mids going.

13. DaphneBlue

DaphneBlue Tele-Meister

Jul 22, 2017
    Switzerland
    orange amps are great for rawk!

14. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Afflicted

Best complement to Fender amps……… hmmm……… one more Fender amp! A tweed! Dunno about bass punch (maybe a Harvard?) but I've heard you can rawk on those!

Blue Bill likes this.
  15. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

Apr 13, 2014
    Finland
    Maybe a different speaker?

16. Flat6Driver

Jan 14, 2013
    DC Burbs

Sorry, I didn't mean "bass" (the sound/freq) when I said "bassline". I just meant more "grit, dirt, oomph, balls" whatever as the basic sound. Fenders are known for clean and do so many things well, I want a slightly different sound. Or I think I do.

17. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Yorkshire
    Is it for home or playing out?, and how rawk do you want it?. Examples of sounds you're after would help.
    Combo or head unit preferred?
    None more rawk ( or rock ) than Orange, Marshall or Laney Ironhearts, but by fluck they get loud :)

If you have a cab or two, and if it's just for home doodling sounds, have a look at the Hotone heads. Not the Hotone demos, but some of the better end user demos. They may have a transistor heart, but they can sound really rather good.

18. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    La Quinta, CA
    I would suggest Orange or Marshall. I am quite intrigued by the new Origin series by Marshall and I just came across an Orange Rocker 15 Terror that has my interest piqued as options for all out Rawk machines.

Reality is, I will probably stick with what I use these days.... But, I'm always interested in something different, usually a lower wattage Rawk kinda thing. I had a Mesa Mk IV for a long time. I liked it, but i spent a lotta time fiddling with knobs and in the end, liked Fenders better.

DaphneBlue likes this.
  19. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    I have a Dr Z Maz 18 Jr (1x12) combo and that is a very adaptable amp that can do lovely cleans through to some great dirt. You could do a lot worse.

However, just recently, I was looking for a head that I can cart back and forth to lessons and also have as an option to plug into the speaker on the Dr Z combo.

I looked at quite a few and the one that I went for is a Blackstar HT Club 50 MkII. Nothing wrong with Marshall, Orange or others I tried, just that this one sounded best to my ears.

20. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 17, 2003
    Charlotte NC
    well, maybe confused here. the BJr is an EL84 platform, with plenty of drive, just like ans AC15 , The DRRI is a 2x 6V6 platform, totally different than the Bjr...do you prefer one over the other ?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.