Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Good addition to my amp: a longer power cord

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by Bill, May 21, 2017.

1. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    London
    I like my Mustang III, but I’m not fond of the short power cord it comes with.

I went onto Amazon to buy an extension, when I realized that it would be simpler to buy a longer replacement power cord, instead of connecting an extension onto the existing cord. Duh!

They call them “kettle leads” over here in the UK because they are used for electric kettles, though their official name is “C13 (IEC) to Mains (UK 3 pin) cable.” I got 15-foot, 13-ampere one that handles the current draw safely, for around $10 American.

Here's a link to it, to give you an idea (though you can probably picture what a power cord looks like):

15-foot power cord

Works great and now my amp isn’t stuck next to the outlet when I’m playing at home.

Sometimes it's the little things that make a difference.

2. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Good that you checked on the current draw. The length of power cords are primarily determined by getting products certified by safety agencies. It is also a great way for a manufacturer to reduce costs by installing a shorter cord than the maximum allowed by the safety agencies.

3. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    London
    Yep. It's a heavier duty cord than the amp came with. Even has a fuse in the plug.

There's room for those in those honkin' big UK power plugs.

4. perttime

perttime Tele-Holic

Apr 13, 2014
    Finland
    A longer cord can certainly give a neater setup, unless you need power for other things near the amp.

5. Sooper8

Sooper8 Tele-Meister

May 24, 2011
    UK- Midlands
    I was just contemplating this at band practise last night. Thanks for the link! Little things like this make a difference indeed.

6. dobrojoe

dobrojoe Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Feb 11, 2017
    England
    I take a different approach. I buy a long extension lead with four sockets on the end. I fix this inside the back of the amplifier with Velcro fasteners. The short, stock cable plugs into it and I have three extra sockets inside the back of my amp for other things – BeatBuddy, pedal power supply, iPad charger.

perttime, Bill and AAT65 like this.

7. Georox

Georox Tele-Afflicted

Oct 30, 2014
    The tan house in AZ
    I had a ten foot power cord on my amp but put on an eleven foot.:)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.