Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Gonna build me a double-neck tele

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Buckocaster51, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Iowa USA
    Admin Post

I cheated!

I printed it on SIX sheets, and then stick-glued them together.

A plotter would cost more than $100...and we all know the Buckocaster don't like to spend more than $100 on ANYTHING!

;)

I could have taken file to an office store like STAPLES...they almost all have large format printers. A couple of bucks a sheet...or less.

But sometimes you have to keep an eye on, and coach the staff to get exactly what you want.

2. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

That would explain the pink trim in your music room...

3. Buckocaster51

Jan 6, 2005
    Iowa USA
    Admin Post
    Oh...so you're assuming it is MY music room?

Prove it.

Prove it I say!

;)

4. Gopher-Broke

Gopher-Broke TDPRI Member

Well...All I can say that anyone who has Gumby and Pokey figurines out on display above their record collection is O.K. with me!!!
    :p

5. Buckocaster51

Jan 6, 2005
    Iowa USA
    Admin Post
    The REAL Doublecasters are not going to get finished until they are painted. I can't start to paint them until the machining is done.

Time to get off of my rear end and do something.

Let's make some sawdust!

Let's start by touching up the string-through holes and drilling for the ferrules.

Haven't tried to install flush-mounted ferrules on a Buckocaster. Haven't had the tools.

But now I have the Super 12" Delta Drill Press with LASER guides, and a set of Rockler FORSTNER bits. I think we're ready to go!

Everything I did is based upon Ron Kirn's excellent how-to located here which you should look at...NOW!

First thing I had to do was make sure that the top string-through holes were drilled out to 1/8". Nothing magic about 1/8". It just happens to the diameter of some #8 finish nails that I have...more about those later.

[​IMG]

As per Ron's directions I locked down the table and drilled a 1/8" inch hole in the table. Nothing magic about 1/8"...it's just the same size that I used to drill the holes on the front side.

[​IMG]

Then I inserted a short piece of #8 finish nail in the hole. It will serve as a guide pin. The guide pin and drill bit...if our friends at the Delta factory know what they are doing...are coaxial. When I put the front string-through hole over the guide pin, the drill bit will (hopefully) line up perfectly.

Then we put some protective and writing-on tape on the front of the body. Then I marked the outside string-through hole. This is just to help me see how things are lining up.

[​IMG]

This side will be facing the table. Not much room to see under there. I didn't take any pictures. Ron did. I didn't. Trust me...you can't see much under there.

By the way...I worked on FIVE bodies today...3 single neck and 2 double neck. The pictures are of all of them...following no rhyme of reason...just what was convenient.

6. Buckocaster51

Jan 6, 2005
    Iowa USA
    Admin Post
    With the body sitting on the guide pin...and the depth of the drill adjusted to about 1/16"...about the thickness of the ferrule flange...we drill a 3/8" hole for the flange of the ferrule.

[​IMG]

We've laughed about those LASER guides...and they don't really do much...except they give you a pretty good idea of where the hole will be...probably just a good proof check type thing.

Here is what the first countersink hole looks like.

[​IMG]

Let's see how a ferrule fits.

[​IMG]

Looks good...so let's drill the rest of them.

[​IMG]

Only four bodies to go. With 42 holes total...I should be pretty good at these procedures by the time I am finished!

Just for future reference...that was post #2000 for me.

7. Buckocaster51

Jan 6, 2005
    Iowa USA
    Admin Post
    ALTHOUGH I SPENT ALL THAT TIME MAKING THAT UGLY HEAVY PURPLE PROTOTYPE! I missed something!

Even with the Super Delta 12" Drill Press...the depth, or throat of it, isn't big enough to reach all of the string through holes.

Arrgggghh! And it's not even Speak Like a Pirate Day!

[​IMG]

I can only reach three of them on one neck.

While disappointing, I sort of suspected this would happen.

We'll just draw a new line and take the body to the Grizzly Oscillating Spindle Sander. (All of these product references make me sound like a NASCAR driver!) We'll trim it up a bit. Didn't get any pictures...but you have all seen the Grizzly Osciallating Spindle Sander.

Did get a picture of touching up the body with some 50 grit and the palm sander after I was done with the Grizzly Oscillating Spindle Sander.

[​IMG]

When it's finished...nobody will ever know...unless YOU tell them.

Of course...being in a hurry...I didn't take off as much wood as I should have...

Took off enough to force the body onto the guide pin...but it was seriously out of alignment.

[​IMG]

Arrrgggghhhh!

It does not pay to hurry or be impatient with this stuff.

Fortunately this body will be painted...and if there is one thing that I have learned from Ron Kirn...it's the value of auto body filler on painted bodies.

Like duct tape and spray epoxy, auto body is filler is indispensible in my shop.

[​IMG]

Like Brylcreem...a Little Dab Will Do You!

8. Buckocaster51

Jan 6, 2005
    Iowa USA
    Admin Post
    After we sand it...

[​IMG]

it is pretty much invisible.

There is a reason that I like painted bodies!

On most of the bodies I countersunk the E string holes first...then drew a line through their centers.

[​IMG]

This would give me a visual check...just to be sure the other holes would line up.

Once we had the bodies resized, and the counter sunk for the 3/8" ferrule flange...

we can chuck up a 5/16" ROCKLER Forstner bit into the DELTA 12" Drill Press...set the depth to handle the bodies of the ferrules...

[​IMG]

and perform the operation 42 times. :eek:

9. Buckocaster51

Jan 6, 2005
    Iowa USA
    Admin Post
    Like Ron says, the diameter of the string-through holes is pretty irrelevant...they get covered on both the top and bottom...and as long as they are big enough to allow the strings to go through...and not so big as to stick out from the bridge plate...everything will be copecetic.

So here is the bit we will use.

[​IMG]

Notice how it lines up with the guide pin...even after the guide pin has been removed and inserted into the table ... what is it...84 times by now!

Let's see if our holes line up.

If they do, we should be able to drift one of my 8 penny finish nails through the body.

[​IMG]

SUCCESS!

Here is the finished product.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm happy!

Ron, thanks much...I couldn't have done it without you!

10. Lostheart

Lostheart Tele-Afflicted

Nov 26, 2005
    Germany
    Outstanding job on the ferrules! Looking great!

11. telex

telex Tele-Holic

Dec 23, 2006
    New Hampshire, USA
    Those holes are perfect! Nice job Bucko!

I think I have already forgotten about that Bondo filled hole, wait .......... what Bondo filled hole?

12. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    lookin' good.....

Ron Kirn

13. Grin'n'pick

Grin'n'pick Friend of Leo's

Bucko and/or Ron you should write a book on luthiery if you haven't already what with the quality of your knowledge, work, descriptions and photography. This is another legendary TDPRI Buckocaster51 thread. Hats well and truly off.

14. Ronkirn

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    Hummmm now there's an idea. . .

Ron Kirn

15. Buckocaster51

Jan 6, 2005
    Iowa USA
    Admin Post
    See...the way it is...see...well I'll tell you...see...Ron has written a book ...see...and I have a copy of it...see...a whole bunch, not all of, but a whole bunch of what I have done here is in Ron's book...see...I just try to put my own spin on it...see?

I got my book when I bought a set of templates from him...see...and that's the way it is...see?

Cordially
    Mugsy

:D

16. BadHorsie

BadHorsie Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Jul 26, 2007
    Texas, USA
    Awesome project Bucko !!! :eek:

17. Grin'n'pick

Grin'n'pick Friend of Leo's

Aha! :oops: Not just one book either by the look of things. Why aren't these promoted more, or am I just very blind?

18. Buckocaster51

Jan 6, 2005
    Iowa USA
    Admin Post
    Those of us that know Ron, understand that he is a quiet, shy, unpretentious guy. He just doesn't like to beat his own drum.

But when he speaks...he is worth listening to!

;)

19. Ronkirn

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    Boom Boom boom boomaboom... Oh... that wasn't my drum....

Ron Kirn

20. maestrovert

maestrovert Poster Extraordinaire

nah, 'twas some hip-hoppers cruisin by with their 18" subs rattlin' the neighborhood....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.