Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Goldtop LP

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Muzikp, Oct 14, 2012.

1. jpbturbo

jpbturbo Tele-Afflicted

Dec 30, 2010
    Banner Elk, NC
    I think the crack/void in the other blank is just automatic weight reduction.

2. Scooby Snax

Scooby Snax Friend of Leo's

Apr 26, 2009
    Toronto
    What does your inner voice tell you to do? I'd go with that.

Well so long as it doesn't involve starting a fire and dancing naked. :eek:

3. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee
    +1............if it's one side, make that the hollowed out side :). It always erks me somehow to hollow out a perfectly good piece of wood :rolleyes:

4. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Oklamerica
    If it were me, I'd go with something completely different and save the lighter duplicate for later. But that's just me, and you didn't ask, so there ya go :D

5. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Jan 31, 2012
    Lake Jackson, TX
    James - If you were Roger you'd be making this out of barn wood and the splits & cracks & holes would be normal :D

And it would look good!

Edit: Not that it won't look good when you do it. Geez, I just keep putting my foot in my mouth today :oops:

6. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2010
    Sacramento
    Hey Roger who asked you anyway :D j/k.

My thinking is that it would be nice to know at what point design changes to the original LP negatively affect it's tone/sustain. Once I know that, then I can experiment with completely different ideas you know? Anyway that's the flow chart to my brains logic, although I'm noticing as I get older there is less of both...flow and logic.

7. crazydave911

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee
    FWIW................there seem to be a lot of ways to skin that cat...........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A lot of ways :)

8. joekumpan3

joekumpan3 Friend of Leo's

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    I actually heard that if you light it on fire and dance naked around it it adds mojo.

9. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Hmmm , if I didn't know any better I'd think Dave was studying up to build a light weight LP :twisted:

10. crazydave911

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee
    If I ever did it would be light :lol:

What I'm preppin' for is this sweet darlin' ;) (who needs a serious weight loss plan :rolleyes:). Going to get a maple neck it seems...................no mahogany for the under-employed :lol:

[​IMG]

That's why I'm trying to clear the deck of a few things ;)

11. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

Jul 25, 2012
    Kelowna B.C, Canada
    Wow, James! I didn't know you started already! Jeepers, don't wanna get behind on my homework!

I have a feeling this might get almost, if not as big, as preebs thread! We're already at 72 pages.

12. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's

Oct 23, 2011
    Lynchburg Tennessee
    Absolutely stunning!! BTW what did you use for the gold color?

13. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's

Oct 23, 2011
    Lynchburg Tennessee
    Disregard the last post, I found it. I have some on the way. Wow! That is beautiful and thanks so much for sharing the information. Maybe soon I will attempt to build one. By the way, the video was great also. Thanks to Rob also for sharing the pup build. It is people like you that give the rest of us the courage to attempt to build. THANK YOU!!!

14. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2010
    Sacramento
    Thank you. Glad you found the gold color stuff, I can't recall where I posted that info.

15. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2010
    Sacramento
    So here's the mahogany body I roughed out only to find a big crack in the wood. There were no signs of any cracks on the boards before I cut it out. I've never seen a board do this before, very strange.

Looks good here
    [​IMG]

But not on the side
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So that one is firewood now.

16. ModerneGuy

ModerneGuy Tele-Holic

Mar 9, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Whoah, you sure you can't epoxy that and maybe turn it into a TV finish single cut Junior or Special?

Don't think I've commented on this thread before (ok, maybe once early on) but have been quite engrossed by it. Turned out fantastic and the final finish on that goldtop is superb. All the best with this next one.

17. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

Jul 25, 2012
    Kelowna B.C, Canada
    Woah, woah, woah, James!! Maybe give it to the senior you're helping build a guitar! I'm sure that a teenager, like myself, with limited funds would love a fix er' upper guitar body!

18. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2010
    Sacramento
    Thanks for the kind words Moderneguy, glad you have enjoyed it - I know I did.

I suppose it could be filled with epoxy and still made into a guitar, but I'm not too excited to build like that anymore. Those kinds of fixes and workarounds were an awesome way to get experience and still end up with a cool guitar, but now I want experience that helps me not need the fixes and work arounds you know?

19. crazydave911

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee
    I'd take it ;). A little epoxy in the crack, wrap it with veneer ala GuitarNut and double bind that bad jasper. But Moderne is right, one of those new single pup LPs in TV Yellow with a natural top.................pure sexy :) (hey, if Gibson can ask darn near 3 grand for one, it must be worth making ;))

20. ModerneGuy

ModerneGuy Tele-Holic

Mar 9, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Yeah, I do get it. I think we can all see you set yourself very high standards which is very laudable... maybe it's just that I've always wanted an LP Special ... and this would be a way of softening the blow of an LP body splitting for me. But that's ME!:p

Carry on.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.