Gold foil + lace sensor: terrible idea?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Jack Clayton, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Jack Clayton

Jack Clayton Tele-Meister

So I've got this ugly little warmoth thinline that I really like, but I'm not in love with the pickups. It's set up for humbuckers, and I've already got a lace sensor dually (blue/red) that I was planning to put in the bridge for some greenwood tones.

I only recently started considering some variation on a gold foil for the neck. I've always loved the gold foil sound, and I figure there's no making this Frankenstein of a guitar look any uglier than it does.

First question: is this a horrible idea that I will live to regret? I know that high/low output pickup combos CAN work, but will the combo or lace sensors and gold foils be a disaster?

Second question: assuming nobody talks me out of it, what's a good gold foil? If I had the cash for an original teisco or a Lollar or something, I'd go buy one as soon as I was done polishing my monacle. But I'm really hoping to spend double digits and still get something comparable to the real deal. Any suggestions?

24 track likes this.
  2. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I really love the sound of Dearmond Goldtone pickups (used alot on Deamond M75 guitars )

these sound fantastic!
    ny7sljmuj4dgfrboigee.jpg

a2aavenooerwzpmju3mc.jpg kzlhakzs1bbxc6ar9akl.jpg

Zepfan and Jack Clayton like this.
  3. Jack Clayton

Jack Clayton Tele-Meister

Would you say the gold tones sound comparable to the old gold foils? Most of what I'm reading seems to compare them more to a PAF.

24 track likes this.
  4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Having had experience with both the Dearmonds and goldfoil repros, I'd say the word "gold" in their name is about all they share

24 track likes this.
  5. 24 track

46730, member: 138382"]Would you say the gold tones sound comparable to the old gold foils? Most of what I'm reading seems to compare them more to a PAF.[/QUOTE]

I dont know how they compare to PAF's but they really sound great and warm , I love Lace pickups I use them in my strats , including the alumatones and the warm sound of the gold tone could be a great match!

P1011425.JPG P1011415.JPG P1012109.JPG

6. 24 track

how did you find the difference , I get they would be different , and i really like the sound of gold tones!

7. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Gold tones sound good yeah but it's not a goldfoil sound. It's been many years since I was in a band where the other guitarist used a Dearmond with those pickups, but I do recall it's not a goldfoil sound

24 track likes this.
  8. 24 track

I have a friend with an M75 and straight into the amp the goldtones sound great ( but then again he's a monster player so a rubber band on a stick sounds good in his hands), I may watch some a/b comparisons on youtube to see for my own curiousity!

9. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

The old goldfoils are special - one of those dimestore grungey guitar things that works. Ry Cooder had a Mighty Mite Strat loaded with them at one stage. The new ones - OK but not the same.

24 track likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.