Going to my first guitar lesson. Been playing for 29 years...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Sotakoira Musti, Apr 13, 2019.

1. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

[QUOTE="Sotakoira Musti, post: 9031992, member: 145564]

So, the big question is, can my teatcher make me unlearn (forget) everything I've learned or not learned in these past 29 years. Okay, I've maybe exaggerated a bit, I'm not that bad player, but you get the big picture.

I asked my teacher to teach me improvising, using the whole neck. It'll cost a 200€/month, but I can go to as many lessons as I like. While I'm waiting for my knee surgery (artificial joint), I've got all the time in the world to go to lessons. I truly hope they'll help me to become a better and most importantly, a more creative player.

Wish the old bonehead luck guys and gals!

Br, Musti[/QUOTE]

I think the Question is Can You PAY ATTENTION?

He won't 'Teach' you anything.

It is up to You to Learn.

As far as improv goes, start simple.
    Sing the notes. Copy what you sing.
    When you can play what you sing, you will get there a lot faster.

Best of luck, I really hope it goes well for you.

Sotakoira Musti likes this.
  2. sonicsmitty

sonicsmitty Tele-Holic

I took formal lessons after playing for over 40 years. My teacher happened to be the little kid next door when I was growing up back in Maryland. We actually started learning together. I lost touch with him for about 30 years. Then one day I discovered, quite by strange chance, that he had been living nearby and that he gave lessons. He was a pro and far better than I, who had a day job for a reason. I signed up for the lessons, but unfortunately much of the time was wasted reminiscing. Still, I learned much that was usable to me. I'd like to do it again, but I'm not sure how useful they would be with my arthritic fingers.

To the OP, give it a go and keep at it. It'll come to you. One day, if you keep practicing, you'll realize how much better you've become and wonder when it happened.

3. Sotakoira Musti

Sotakoira Musti Tele-Meister

I think you’re in the core of all this. Even the best teacher in the world can’t teach a thing if you’re not listening, having motivation and doing your homework. I fear my cognitive skills have come down a bit since I was younger. I learnt virtually everything about anything that came along, only if I was motivated. Primus at third grade education etc. I think my meds have done something in my brains and I don’t feel as smart as I used to. Short term memory problems etc. Or I’m just getting older!

Well, I’ll see how things start up in 4 hours. Feeling a lot more nervous! But hey, It’s just guitar playing, right? :D

4. Sotakoira Musti

And once more, thanks for your support.

This forum is great. Haven’t seen any ill-minded (is that a correct word?) member. That’s unusual in these day’s internet trolls and people who are full of hate. All messages/replys I’ve received in my threads have been very nice, constructive (correct word?) and/or supportive.

Kudos to TDPRI and the good people who makes it what it is.

richiek65 and Chunkocaster like this.
  5. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

Good luck man, have fun and let us know how things went.
    If I could afford it i'd like to take some lessons too. I've been playing for around 35 years.

6. Brucesu

Brucesu Tele-Meister

Why don’t you start out easy. You already know your stuff.

Play A minor chord for four bars on a looper and then solo over it using the a minor pentatonic (A C D E G A)

First start with just using one note, but do it in some sort of rhythm. Then add in a second note still maintaining a groove. Then add in more notes slowly until you got it the a minor pentatonic down.

Now do the same thing again except with D minor chord and D minor pentatonic (D F G A C D) notice the only difference between a minor is F.

Now combine the two. Play a minor for two bars and d minor for two bars. When you switch chords you have to switch scales!

Match up the scale with the chord!
    If you play any “wrong” notes just go a half step up or down to the nearest chord tone.

Shrug I’m just teaching myself how to improvise and stuff. Right now I need to master all of my scales on the fretboard. Start with the major scales or pentatonic because you’ll derive all other scales from those.

7. Sotakoira Musti

Thanks for sharing, I think that You know your stuff!

I’ve played with looper (RC-30), doing some normal chord patterns and play something on top of it. I can do quite nicely, when I stay in certain location on fretboard, ie. blues scale from seventh (B) fret. But I don’t have the skills to move upwards or downwards on the fretboard, keeping the same basic rhythm. And the huge lack of self confidence when playing with non-Beatles band, there are the reasons to go to lessons.

Well, two hours to go!

8. Sotakoira Musti

Okay, been there and done that. But not done for good, it was actually kinda fun. The teaching equipment and environment are top notch. Everyone has his her own playing station, which has Micro Cube (okay, I'm not fond of those), headphones naturally, and iPad with internet connection (for youtube backing tracks) and some sort of mobile DAW. You can record your own playing if you want etc. Teacher monitors every student with headphones and gives you personal guidance if needed.

What did I do there? First, felt kinda dumb and like I didn't belong here. Not because I felt I'm too good player, but being so crappy compared to other students. The teacher knew in advance about my history and what I was aiming for. He gave me a couple of sheets of paper. They had few general instructions, goals for these lessons (student can play this and that...) and then the real quest of playing A minor pentatonic scales from 5 different positions. Had istructions of picking, using left hand fingers and of course showed the notes to play. Those positions started naturally from 5th and then 8th, 10th, 12th and 15th fret. I knew and had used only first two of them. I went up and down the neck doing those scales, estimated at least hundred times, or it felt like it. Then some background music and I started playing scales first from just the first position, then blending it with the second one. And until this moment I was quite familiar about what I was doing. Then positions 3-4-5 kicked in. I realized I've had used them before countless times. But that was done by only ear - trial and error. Now it seemed to make some sense, knowing where to play a note that would fit the background music. So, I did all this for the remaining of two lessons (hours). Felt good, the teachers were nice and let me do my thing, as I was enjoying it. And other students didn't bother me at all. Tomorrow one lesson and same thing on wednesday. A couple more in next week. Teachers will make me do tomorrow something more advanced. Well, I guess almost everything is more advanced than this o_O

For 200€/month, I think I'll have to go at least ten times to make it financially reasonable. It's a good thing that I'm on a sick leave and can go to daytime lessons, which starts at 1300 hrs.

All and all, not too bad experience at all!

awasson likes this.
  9. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

This happens often as you learn more guitar-related music theory after years of rote playing — recognizing patterns you've used before, but didn't understand why they 'work.' Those 'gaps' in knowledge will start filling in to expand your fretboard facility.

Glad it went well! Keep us posted, please, and let us know any tricks you learn! (I may take some lessons this year, been too long.)

10. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Yep, it's just guitar playing.
    Enjoy!

11. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

SM: if you can play 130 Beatles songs, you are a kick-ass guitar player, seriously.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    Brucesu and Sotakoira Musti like this.
  12. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

So why do you need to improvise? Just play other songs other than Beatles. There's tab or music for almost every song out there. If you could rip off Cliffs of Dover note for note that would be a huge accomplishment.

Sotakoira Musti and thunderbyrd like this.
  13. lastRebel

lastRebel Tele-Meister

I'm both envious and inspired. I had some impromptu lessons from my grandfather when I was growing up. He got me started on his old acoustic by showing me a few chords each time I visited. Then, when I turned 13, he gave me my first guitar: an old hollow body Univox with a slightly warped neck and microphonic pickups. Hell, I didn't even have an amp. This is where I started... and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Actual lessons from a professional instructor would be awesome at this point in my life. Congrats on this decision and the drive to go through with it!

14. Sotakoira Musti

@thunderbyrd
    Thanks bro, made me feel a little better!

@zimbo
    Well, you’ve made a point there. And yes, I’m using Guitar Pro when having a need to learn a non-Beatles song. But I think there’s more to playing than just copying what others have done.

A little longish and perhaps jumping explanation why the lessons:

My other band doesn’t play Beatles. Actually, we’re hoping to play only our own songs. We have a slight problem when out lead female singer told us she’ll take a brake, lenght indefinitely. She’s been doing most our own songs and singing them. So now there is a need for the rest of us to step up and to do some songwriting. If the band’s other guitar player introduces a new song, he usually has thought of guitar riffs and solos quite nicely, and there isn’t much need of tweaking them.

But if I manage to produce something, it’ll be only basic chord pattern, maybe a riff alongside with. I just can’t create a decent solo that isn’t someone else’s handwriting and learning it a note after note.

I’m feeling so frustrated with that band. Before that female singer, we played mostly covers. I had a valid reason to be there, and that was singing because no one else wanted it. I played rhythm guitar and sang. Then this girl came along, no more covers (or the ones I like), my role was dimininshed just to play in the background doing chords, that anyone who’s been playing for a year could do. Of course occasional background vocals too.

Now I’m in the same position. If my bandmate writes a song, he sings it and plays all the good parts. And I’m left with strumming. If I write a song, I’ll sing and he’ll take all the good parts. I just feel so utterly stupid playing with them. The basist is a genius, he needs just the root note and he makes up incredible bass licks all over the fretboard. And the another guy with a guitar, the same thing. And all I can do is play cowboy chords or something like that.

So what I’m trying to say that mastering song after song, learned from sheets, doesn’t help you writing your own stuff. And that’s the reason to take lessons; to become a better in lead guitar, not just playing it, but also writing it. And I think that can be accomplished by improving impro skills and learning some theory about music, building up chords and mastering scales.

And this all comes down to self esteem, or at the present moment, the lack of it outside the Beatles.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  15. Sotakoira Musti

Great story! I started with my late dad’s (died when I was 8) classic acoustic. And tried to learn in teenage agony to play Metallica or similars. First decent guitar after about 5 years of playing and first amp came along about one year later. I would’t trade it for the world either. The feeling that it’s basically me who’s learned by myself the hard way. But even the pro athletes need coaching, so why not us guitarists?

All I can say is just go for it! I’ve taken four lessons now and I think I’ve learnt more about impro and the basic 101 of creating solos and licks than in my previous 29 years. I’m so happy I could swallow my stupid pride and to say ”hey, I need some help, please”. 4 more lessons in next week and just can’t wait to go there!

Br,

Musti

lastRebel and awasson like this.
  16. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Quote of the day! I am encouraged to go find a music teacher too. I haven't had a guitar lesson since I was about 15 years old. That was 40 years ago. I've watched a few Youtube lessons and I've read a lot of magazine lessons but I'll bet I could learn a thing or two from a real teacher.

Great discussion topic. I'm glad you are achieving success with your lessons.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.