Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Going (Pedal) Overboard

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by RetroTeleRod, Mar 8, 2018.

1. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Friend of Leo's

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    Since I'm leaving the board in one place, I don't mind the slightly bigger size. For traveling though, even an 8 pedal board would be too big for me.

2. jondanger

jondanger Friend of Leo's

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    I’ve been using this and I’m pretty happy with it.

IMG_0112.JPG

I still have a board with 2 drives, a comp, phaser, and 2 delays on it in the basement but I’m digging this right now.

Small is the new black.

3. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    I’m not a pedal guy, but for my roots band I need delay, reverb and trem. Since a mini board is easier than a few loose pedals I also use a pedal tuner and a boost pedal too. I play tweed amps so don’t use a drive pedal. If the gig starts to get loud I use the boost.

T-bone Ted and RetroTeleRod like this.

4. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    How do you stomp on the two at the top without hitting the others?

5. jondanger

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    It’s angled like this:

IMG_0117.JPG

Also, usually if I have the delay on it’s on for the whole song. I usually put drives on the bottom row because they’re more likely to get stepped on mid-song. The tuner isn’t in the chain, it just comes off the volume pedal. So it could really just stay on all the time.

RetroTeleRod and 3-Chord-Genius like this.

6. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Tele-Afflicted

Jan 24, 2011
    Richmond, VA
    I restrict myself to a 4-pedal Pedaltrain Nano. I have a tuner, an overdrive, a delay, and a reverb. The reverb gets swapped out occasionally depending on whether the amp I’m currently using has onboard reverb or not. The overdrive is more of a gain boost because I don’t set my amps too clean, more like edge of breakup and use guitar volume. If I play my higher gain amp, I set the overdrive to be a lower level output, no gain, EQ for a mock clean channel. I play indie rock and we do have some ambient moments, but the playing is what defines my sound more than what’s being kicked around on the floor.

RetroTeleRod likes this.

7. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    I've got 8 on the board and use 7 of them. The outlier is the wah, but it gets used it one of my bands that does private party gigs and works almost exclusively in summer. Just haven't bothered taking it off.

The one thing I know for certain is that anybody with a board smaller than mine is missing out on great tone and anybody with a larger one isn't as serious a player as I am and needs to spend more time practicing/less time twiddling knobs. I think that's how it goes, right?

8. RetroTeleRod

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    ^^^ That is pure gold! Love it! :lol:

Jakedog and -Hawk- like this.

9. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    I used to have pedals out the wazoo. My average gig board was 7-9. Usually a tuner, clean boost, od, dist, chorus, trem, delay, at minimum. Sometimes also a phaser and comp. I'd switch out od's a lot depending on gig and amp situation.

Now I only use this-

IMG_2052.JPG

The only pedals I own anymore outside of this unit are a TU3, and my old Reverend Drivetrain II, which I'll probably take to my grave. The TU3 and reverend make a dandy backup rig in the event I have a single channel amp and the Nova System goes down.

I spent $350 on the Nova System, sold my pedal collection, board, and power supply after three gigs with it, and came out WAY ahead. It's also less than half the size and weight of my old board. Winner!

10. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Holic

May 27, 2014
    SE Michigan
    No Hot Cake?!?!

RetroTeleRod likes this.

11. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    Here's mine. I haven't bought anything new (aside from the tuner) in probably 15 years - and then it was the Maxon stuff replacing a TS-9 and a three knob Boss comp like the guy a couple poasts up has. I changed the tuner from an arion to a peterson to a boss to another boss as they've broken.

Nothing fancy or Booteek - just stuff I picked up over the years that works.

Best feature of this bored is the wireless power supply. I have no idea why everybody isn't using these.

[​IMG]

12. RetroTeleRod

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    Definitely got to have the Hot Cake! It's on my traveling board because it goes so well with my Blues Junior. Right now my main amp is a Hot Rod Deluxe. If I can get my AC-15 fixed then the Cake will be heading back to my main board. :)

13. Guitaryellow

Guitaryellow Tele-Meister

Dec 22, 2017
    Kent

14. jondanger

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    IMG_0127.JPG

E5RSY, jimbo735, Tele56 and 5 others like this.

15. BB

BB Friend of Leo's

May 17, 2003
    Great Pacific NW
    Is this where I apply for membership to the 'Excess Pedal Club'? I use a volume pedal a delay and an overdrive, yet I have many more pedals sitting gathering dust. I just bought three more and only have use for one. Crazy. Guess it's time to place an ad in the classifieds and pass them on to someone else who has no use for them!

16. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jan 24, 2011
    Colorado
    I have a funny relationship with pedal minimalism. Whenever I get the urge to simplify, I put my pedals in a drawer except for one or two essentials, then buy one or two new pedals that would be perfect for a minimal board. A week later, the pedals come out of the drawer and the new ones stay, too. Every time, the simplification results in more pedals.

RetroTeleRod and noah330 like this.

17. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    Like I said, I have tons and tons of petals.

For example, when I was a kid I didn't have a lot of money but one year my big Christmas present was a DOD Stereo Chorus. Inside the box there was a fold out catalog of all the petals they offered.

I taped it to my bedroom wall and would look at it and dream up different settings, etc.... A while back I decided I would buy all the DOD petals. Some of them sound good (IMHO the FX-65 is the best chorus out there and I have a CE-1, CE-2, old TC, etc...) and a lot sound dated but I like having them. I did something similar with the Ibanez 10 series.

I have a lot of boxes people have given me over the years and I also have tons of what was "junk" when I was a kid in the late 80s/early 90s (EHX, Maestro, MXR, etc...) because they were $10 or $15 here and there. Also have a lot of off brand stuff that I've picked up over the years.

For me, I enjoy collecting petals more than using them - as evidenced by the bored I poasted. A couple times a year I'll plug a bunch in and play with them. Now that two of my three kids play I can give them a few to mess with if they want to know what this or that effect does.

That being said, when I see those giant boreds on forums I get an uneasy feeling because it looks so confusing and overboard (no pun intended). It just seems like a hassle to me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    RetroTeleRod likes this.

18. Theslack5

Theslack5 Tele-Meister

Mar 13, 2014
    Southampton uk
    My pedal board is more important than the guitar or amp I’m using, there are songs that wouldn’t work without the noises I used to write them. I look at players who can plug straight in and sound great with awe but personally I need loads of flashing lights on the floor and I’m always on the look out for more and more

noah330 and RetroTeleRod like this.

19. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    I don't begrudge anyone for using a lot of stuff. In my experience more petals means more chances for stuff to go wrong or to trip over.

It's fun to play with a bunch of stuff but at the end of the day usually I don't use a lot of those sounds - so it's not worth it to me. I can see your perspective, though.

20. RetroTeleRod

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    Swapping pedals about from time to time keeps it interesting for people like me with a short attention spa...Wow, lights!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.