Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Going (Pedal) Overboard

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by RetroTeleRod, Mar 8, 2018.

1. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    After last night I think I deserve my own meme.

25zcae.jpg

2. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Nov 3, 2003
    North Louisiana around Many
    Not sure of all the implications of this or maybe going completely over my head?
    I have tons of pedals spread out on three pedal-boards with some left overs sidelined.

But bottom line, give me a good tube amp, a delay pedal, one good dirt box and I'm in hog heaven!

3. RetroTeleRod

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    Making fun of myself mostly. I just thought it was funny that after all the decisions and work involved that the 1st time out I only used two of the pedals. I know I'll get around to the others at a later date, but last night the Open Road and the plate setting on the Boss RV-6 was all I needed.

BB likes this.

4. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    I need reverb, delay, trem, and dirt

If whatever amp I'm using has one or more of those - then I need even less.

Just sold my second Flint pedal.

I might get another some day.

If a pedal I have is easy to get and I don't use the one I have much, I never hesitate to move it along.

Shake things up...

T-bone Ted and RetroTeleRod like this.

5. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I feel the same way. I downsized my big board, but I'm still using few of them at a time. That is my problem. Gotta have a wah, but rarely use it. Gotta have delay, but just for a little slap once in awhile (big reverb user). I add compression when I get everything else dialed in, so most of the time it is off. My tanker volume pedal is almost a crutch at this point whereas I was into swells big time during my surf guitar years. Geez, I think I need the tools, but do I really?:confused:

RetroTeleRod likes this.

6. MDMachiavelli

MDMachiavelli Tele-Afflicted

I'm to pedals what Mel Gibson was to Catcher In The Rye in the movie Conspiracy Theory. I just simply can't walk by a store that sells guitar pedals and not buy at least one.

I probably have 300 or so.

Anyway, even though I am probably one of the biggest pedal junkies on this forum very few ever make it to my pedal board, and even fewer have a permanent spot.

Currently I have 5 pedals on my board and of that 5 two are pretty steady. Those two are Wampler Ego Compressor and MXR Phaser. Other than that I'm usually swapping out between different delays and ODs.

T-bone Ted and RetroTeleRod like this.

7. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Nov 3, 2003
    North Louisiana around Many
    I can live without reverb if I have a delay. I just can't abide a completely dry amp.
    When I do have reverb I use it lite. So normal for me is a mostly clean amp, lite reverb as a background to my slap back delay. Everything else is just icing on the cake. Platefire

stratoman1 and RetroTeleRod like this.

8. RetroTeleRod

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    I love reverb or delay...on a clean tone. For overdrive/distortion/fuzz I prefer it dry. That's just my preference of course. I've put my Boss Phase Shifter back on board thinking I might want to use it occasionally. Really even with 8 pedals it still comes down to...

overdrive/distortion Gain Changer/TS-9/Rat/Open Road
    delay Boss DD-3
    reverb Boss RV-6
    tremolo Black Cat Mini Trem (may switch it out for Boss Tremolo)
    phaser Boss Phase Shifter

Should cover all my bases...and then some. :cool:

9. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Right there with you. Here's my board:

[​IMG]

Works across three bands in different genres. In part because - after rehearsal last night, I realized I had again stepped on only two of them. Those two happened to be:

- the TU3
    - the FS-5L. Which is there not to control the Angry Driver, but is the amp chorus/vibrato footswitch.

That band is, by far, the one that plays out the most.

D'oh!

In my defense, in the other band I only switch on two as well:

- the TU3
    - DD-7

But in the third band, I occasionally use all 4! Though never at the same time. That would be extravagant.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    Minimalist518 and RetroTeleRod like this.

10. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I'm not even in a band anymore, just a bedroom player, and I have two drawers full of OD pedals, from chasing the ultimate low volume tone. I'm pretty much down to using two TS types and two Klon types. But, the Blues Driver and SD1 overdrives built into my Katana are so good that I don't even really need those.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    RetroTeleRod likes this.

11. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    As much as I admire the idea of minimizing my gear, I've found myself with a dozen pedals (my self-imposed limit, btw) on my board. A fuzz, some other flavors of dirt, flanger, trem, rotary, delay, reverb, a tuner... I'd lose a few, except I do actually use all of them in the course of a set... NOT all at once, mind you. The band I'm in chose me instead of a keyboard player, so I feel like part of my job is to add textures; so I do.

Next band, I'll go minimal.

12. NMore

NMore Tele-Meister

Dec 8, 2017
    Castle Rock
    I have 7 pedals on my board and use them all. I play in a cover band and need the variety of pedals I have (Very Clean Amp/Fulltone Drive 2/Love Pedal/Soul Food/Spark/TRex Delay/Cry Baby/Korg Tuner.

13. FerruleCat

FerruleCat Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

May 2, 2017
    Tulsa, OK
    My latest direction is to get amp sims, reverb and modulation effects from Zoom MS-50g patches, but to run an analog OD pedal in front. I'm going nuts with drive pedals right now looking for the perfect one. But I'm very close to finalizing Tuner > OD > Zoom > DI > Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170. I barely scratch the surface of the Zoom effects library.

T-bone Ted, Mincer and RetroTeleRod like this.

14. Xtyfighterx

Xtyfighterx Tele-Meister

Mar 2, 2018
    North idaho
    Here’s my setups I just need a VIBE pedal and I’m set. I use pretty much everything on th board is like to get a looper to, my flashback 2 delay has a looper but then you can’t having anything in the loop with delay :(
    Mines set up for really clean ambient soundscapey music, blues/classic rock,and drop tuned progressive type metal.
    EE2B3FFF-FD77-44C9-A532-CFE2989241EA.jpeg

24 track and RetroTeleRod like this.

15. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    If you want to see something really ridiculous, you should see some of the church guitarist pedal boards I've seen. Those guys are the epitome of "overboard". I'd include myself in this group except that I'm too broke to own more than 3 or 4 at the moment. But the worship band pedal board thing is like a contest of sorts.

DougM and RetroTeleRod like this.

16. RetroTeleRod

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    I figured that room for eight pedals would be enough. I've moved up from a 6 pedal board and with it I was always thinking "If I had a spot for just one more pedal!" I really think I can live with just 8 pedals. Now if I can just stop myself from swapping them out all the time!

Iago likes this.

17. RetroTeleRod

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    "I know that they didn't use pedals on Abbey Road, but we're a worship band Bro! Now quit whining and give me a hand with my board!"
    Plywood.jpg

18. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I estimate that will take about 6 cans of flat black spray paint and two dozen yards of velcro.

RetroTeleRod likes this.

19. RetroTeleRod

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA

20. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    Unless I'm going on a tour playing exactly the same songs every night and need to replicate certain parts I tend to use a pretty small bored.

I own probably 300+ petals but I use about 5 of them in reality.

A small bored is a liberating experience.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.