Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Going from 10's to 11's, truss rod adjustment?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by fakeplastic, Jan 26, 2013.

1. fakeplastic

fakeplastic Tele-Meister

I'm planning on going from gauge 10 strings to 11's on my tele. I will check the intonation, but I was wondering if/how the truss needs to be adjusted as well? With the 10's I'm currently in standard E tuning, but I'll be mainly be using the 11's in Eb tuning.

2. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

Put the 11s on and check they fit the nut.
    If the nut is from new then they are cut for 9s. Cut for 9s with shallow slots, they will fit 10s but bind on 11s.

If the nut has not been filed then what was just-about acceptable action for 9s will be heavy on 11s and the nut will need dressing: a from-new nut needs dressing anyway.

If you have had a full and proper setup done for 10s then the nut should have been dressed along with the action and intonation.
    If this has been done then little adjustment will be needed to step up to 11s. You will need to tweak the intonation, especially if you use a 3W. A small tighten of the truss rod maybe necessary, perhaps 1/4 turn.

Always do nut/setup/intonation with the strings on at your concert pitch (whether E or Eb).
    After fitting those 11s, wait. Wait for the guitar to settle down, maybe 2-3 days at concert, play the strings in before attempting intonation, never attempt intonation on brand new strings.

3. fakeplastic

fakeplastic Tele-Meister

jefrs, thanks for the advice!

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.