Going down south to a wedding

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Sparky2, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

So, I'm having to go down to Dothan, Alabama for a wedding on the last weekend of June.

There will be my wife's family, and family politics, and stress, and a long drive to and from.
    Two nights spent in a hotel, and we are carrying the 90 year old father-in-law down with us in the rental car.

My wife sighed to me this evening, "Look, I really appreciate your doing this. I know you hate weddings. And I know you're going to go crazy on a long weekend without your guitars and band-mates."

I told her, "It's okay, darling. I have been doing some shopping-ahead on the internet. I'll be alright."

;)

bad wedding weekend.PNG

2. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Have fun brudda.

ukepicker and Chunkocaster like this.
  3. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Afflicted

Uh... you already ARE down south, lol.

Blrfl, Jim622 and Obsessed like this.
  4. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's

The things we do for love, huh?

I don't envy you that drive from Harvest to Dothan; tedious and boring, especially the stretch from Montgomery to Dothan. I'll bet I've made that drive a couple of hundred times.

5. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Friend of Leo's

I see your Tom Petty and raise you a RL Burnside.

Jimmy Owen, 8barlouie and RodeoTex like this.
  6. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

The righteousness of a good man. I feel your pain. More than you know.

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Believe me when I suggest to you that some places Down South are more Down South.........than others.

It doesn't look like shades of gray when you're down here; I promise. There's some folks with more literacy, more manners, more thoughtfulness, more sensitivity, more openness than the outside world will possibly ever know.

Then there's another group of people determined to keep these secrets hidden where they are. I wouldn't pay attention to the people working overtime to ruin the reputation of a place - see, that's their plan. They want to make you feel appalled - they want you to turn away and say something derisive. To be disgusted; to pledge never to visit. Then the secret keepers can have the place more to themselves.

Jimmy Owen likes this.
  8. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Holic

Bob

9. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Afflicted

Jimmy Owen likes this.
  10. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I'm with Bubba - there's South, then there's Deep South, then there's Country.

11. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

I'd say you've done a fine job getting ready to go. Might have those headphones handy, even if you're not plugged in. ;)

Of course, we all have our own techniques for weddings and in-laws, and while I'm not advocating for it's use, I'd personally be inclined to bring along a little lubrication as well.

Jack_Daniels.jpg

12. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

You'll have to drive down I-65... so might as well listen to some Hendrix from 1965.

EllroyJames likes this.
  13. Jim622

Jim622 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I've always found some very friendly people down that way, but there are friendly people most places, including here.

14. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

So true.

Sometimes all you can do is buckle up, and get in there and try to interact with and be nice to people. Somewhere in the world right now, a social occasion is breaking down into punches, or maybe knives or guns. But you can't stop reaching out; the chances are still good people will decide they like you and want to get along.

15. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

Take pictures to post for us. I never get that far South because I don't have a passport.

16. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Holic

Good luck at the Southern wedding.
    I'm from up north and know little of such things, but best wishes.

Mark from Shreveport, LA

Rustbucket likes this.
  17. Skamania

Skamania Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

I thought the thread heading was the first line to a song...

18. Muddslide

Muddslide Friend of Leo's

I don't know where Harvest is, but I've been through Dothan a few times.

If you'd told me a few years ago that I would be happily living in Mobile, Alabama I would have thought you were crazy.

But I do really dig it here, and I've lived in every corner of the US. Because of my fiancee's family connections as well as my age and the fact that I have never in my life lived in one place for more than 3 years max, I doubt I will ever live anywhere else from here on out.

I'm tired of moving and relocating and trying to get into a new mindset in a new place or state. It's exciting, but exhausting.

We plan to marry and buy a forever/final home ASAP.

I think Mobile is largely pretty and nice. It has a very cool history. It's 45 minutes from gorgeous beaches and under 2 hours from one of the most unique and amazing cities on the planet--New Orleans.

I imagine and expect that I am likely 180 degrees off from the prevailing religious and political philosophies of most Alabama residents, but that rarely comes up in conversation. We just have a good time down here.

The humidity can be stultifying, but I've experienced that also in Chicago, upstate New York and Minnesota. In my experience, you pretty much have to be in the desert West to avoid that.

Have a fun trip. Those "Shorty" guitars are cool as hell! Nice travel setup.

I agree with what @boris bubbanov said upthread.

And @teletimetx has a great suggestion re: libation. I hadn't had it in years, but something about being here has made me gravitate towards Southern Comfort. Hard to go wrong with Jack though. And Gentleman Jack is real, real good.

teletimetx likes this.
  19. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

Dothan...that's L.A...aka Lower Alabama. Used to date a gal from nearby Enterprise, where they have a statue of a boll weevil right downtown...seriously!

Jim622 likes this.
  20. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I'd say the west, generally, has lower humidity. Low humidity up here in the British Columbian Interior. When I fly east the humidity hits me as soon as I leave the airplane. I don't notice that coming back. I can't imagine living in a region of high humidity.

Rustbucket likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.