Goin’ to Pot

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by CountryPunk70, May 26, 2019.

1. CountryPunk70

CountryPunk70 TDPRI Member

hey there- I’ve lurked here for years, but this is my first post (I think). I have a really simple/dumb question or two to ask of the hive mind here.

I want to make my Baja Tele into an Esquire, but instead of the traditional three position switch, I want to bypass the switch entirely- in fact I wanna remove the switch entirely.

Has anybody done this? I ‘m wondering about wiring. I haven’t done much wiring/soldering. Especially lately. I’m going to get a 3-way switch wiring kit with 500k pots- (there will be a Rio Grande Greasegunner in the bridge position- that’s a blade humbucker, if ya didn’t know).

Do I just desolder the switch, remove it, and solder the pickup lead straight to the volume pot? I guess I want it wired similarly to an LP Junior. These probably seem like dumb questions (because they are), but I haven’t done this myself before, and I’m just wondering of my instincts are correct here.

Does anyone sell a pre-wired kit like this, with no switch? I searched, but did not find.

Also, has anybody used a Rio Grande Greasegunner before? Like it, hate it?

Thanks in advance to anyone who answers my dumb questions.

2. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Tele-Afflicted

Are you ordering a 3 way switch with 500k pots or do you want to go no switch and just vol tone?

If you are ordering a wiring harness you will just have to solder the pickup and the output jack.

If you just want to wire up vol tone no switch here is a diagram.

Since that pickup is a 4 conductor like an actual humbucker, you will probably only use 2 of the wires and disregard the other two.
    Should be instructions with the pickup if new. D9EE8D20-4944-4447-9F3C-E13C5B3CC532.png

3. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

? ! The whole thing behind a Baja is the circuit and the p-ups. . You must really like the neck. They re on ebay for $225-275 . I recommend getting 2 pots and a cap for a new Esquire control panel w just the 2 holes and keep the p-ups and controls together. If it works out , sell them for $200 .

tessting1two likes this.
  4. CountryPunk70

CountryPunk70 TDPRI Member

Yeah, I bought it for the wacky circuit and the sounds therein, but ended up not liking it/being bored with it. I DO really like the neck. And yup, I intend to sell the S1 switch and harness when I get it all out.

Teleterr likes this.
  5. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Loaded Baja bodies go for around $300 . Controls around $90. p-ups from Fender are , like $160... In case you want just the neck + some pocket cash; you can do a custom cheapo Esquire ebay body. $150 w bridge.

CountryPunk70 likes this.
  6. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Meister

CountryPunk70 and Mincer like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.