Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Godin Radiator... Mixed feelings..

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Dizzletronius, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Dizzletronius

Dizzletronius TDPRI Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Los Angeles
    So recently I bought a used Godin Radiator. I really enjoy it's weight and playability. It's also very well made.

However, my issue is the tone. It's not a bad tone, it's actually pretty good but it sounds so much different than the (few) clean examples that I've heard. Dark. I expect a semi hollow to have a warmer sound... But I didn't expect the pickups (mainly the bridge) to sound darker than the p90 in the bridge of my LPJ. It's overall tone isn't really as jangly or semi-rick like as I'd read and heard. I know that my Pathfinder 15r doesn't sound like an actual AC model would but I wouldn't classify it as dark sounding on it's own.

To the other Radiator owners, is this normal or is there a pot issue?

2. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 29, 2003
    Man, a blast from the past. I played one at a local shop when they first came out years ago. I remember that I really wanted to like it - it's a very cool looking guitar and is, as you said, well built - but I just couldn't get on with the tone. It played well, but there was something about the tone that seemed off to me, or something that just didn't work for me.

3. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

Sep 28, 2010
    Columbia, MO
    What are the pot values?

4. Dizzletronius

Sep 24, 2017
    Los Angeles
    I'm not sure yet. I seem to have misplaced my screwdriver. So that's TBD.

Finding any pot info online seems to be impossible. Lol.

5. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    Well I can't tell you why it's dark, but I can tell you that I actually prefer 250k pots with p90's. Usually you find 500k pots, like with humbuckers, but I like to treat them like the single coils that they are.

Those pickups are actually p90's though. Their website states 'low noise single coil pickups'. Maybe they are just voiced dark. Usually an all maple guitar would be bright so it could be a matter of trying to tone that down--design wise.

6. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2006
    Singapore
    How close are the pickups the two strings? One way is to bottom out the pickups and slowly bring them up so you get them to the sweet spot to your ears.

Additionally, consider swapping out the tone caps. What are the current values?

7. Dizzletronius

Sep 24, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Update... I stripped one of the bridge screws (I'm not very handy. At. All. Lol), so i may not get to look under the hood to check the pot values. The Pickups are about in the middle height wise, with the bridge almost flush with the 'guard.

But in the meantime, I recorded a few comps between the LPJ's P90s (Neck is Zhangbucker Rod-90 and Bridge is Stock Epi) and the Radiator's pups. So... maybe darker wasn't the right word... muffled. However, there's just something special there in the Radiator pups that's just really trying to come out but just can't. I also threw in the Tele (Zhangbucker [again] Bell tone in the neck and GFS Lipstick in bridge), just for added measure... I know that neither are as bright as that. Nor should they be.

So... Idk...

They all follow the format of Bridge and then Middle Position. Recorded into Logic Pro with Amp Designer's "Vox" and all knobs in the middle.

LPJ

Radiator

Tele

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017

8. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    I don't mind that tone at all. It might not have the upper frequencies sitting on top, but it's got good mids. Can you try to raise the treble side of the pickup closer to the strings?

9. Dizzletronius

Sep 24, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Raising them doesn't really change much. Still kind of "humbuckery" to me. So it'll probably get to take a visit the luthier so that I can figure things out. Lol

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.