GnR - Paradise City - I know many won't agree, but...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Chud, May 18, 2019 at 1:56 AM.

1. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

...it still takes me there 30 years later. The grass is still green, and the girls are still pretty.

Boston's first album, More Than a Feeling in particular, is another song that hasn't lost its luster for me. Every time I hear it I transport back to the Nebraska State Fair and the Himalaya ride. In fact, that same song was playing when my wife and I were getting off the bus at Bethpage Black last Saturday.

Some songs are just plain timeless, and have so many good memories. What are yours?

stnmtthw, Toadtele, Robb and 4 others like this.
  2. Treadplatedual

Treadplatedual Tele-Meister

Boston - peace of mind
    Journey - stone in love
    Yes - roundabout

All three were gifts from my dad in my middle school years. We'd listen to great tunes and work on cars together, great times!

3. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

I love listening to and playing Peace of Mind. Stone in Love I'm still annoyed didn't make the greatest hits album. Roundabout, fuggetaboutit...lol

Robb, Treadplatedual and Sounds Good like this.
  4. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

When I hear anything off the Steely Dan album "Can't Buy A Thrill", I'm instantly transported back to 1972.

It came out just after my 16th birthday. Driving around and listening to "Reelin' In The Years", magic memories.

I've got a bunch of albums/songs that fall in this category. Earlier and after.

Music is a wonderful medium, isn't it.:)

Sounds Good likes this.
  5. Sounds Good

Sounds Good Tele-Holic

I suppose November Rain by G&R from the 90s does, and You Wear it Well by Rod Stewart, and All the Young Dudes by Mott the Hopple, and Standing in the Road by Blackfoot Sue from the 70s do for some reason. Also from the 60s, Whiter Shade of Pale by Procol Harum, and Somebody Help me by The Spencer Davis Group.

A few more if i may them being This Flight Tonight by Nazareth, that sound seemed to whirl the mind abit, and two others being Silver Machine and Sylvia's Mother again from the 70s.

Treadplatedual likes this.
  6. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Meister

Under the Bridge - RHCP
    Call Me - Blondie
    Lights - Journey

I could go on. There are a bunch of songs that just give me a double dose of nostalgia. Bette Davis Eyes. Waiting on a Friend. Little Red Cornette.

7. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I'm listening to Rod's 'Mandolin Wind' on the radio, and it takes me back to my junior year in high school. I had a GF whose parents went to their house in Cape May for the summer, leaving their daughter (and me) alone in the house for the summer. The first two Rod solo albums were the soundtrack.

- D

RodeoTex likes this.
  8. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

And thinking back on the Appetite album - a bar that my band used to play a lot used to have pickup softball games on Sunday mornings at a local high school, and a Guy named Steve Thompson used to come out. He was half of the production team that mixed Appetite, so we got to hear the album before it came out. Hearing it for the first time, I knew it was going to shake the foundations. (Thompson later produced the album that my band recorded for Giant Records in '91.)

You never knew who would show up at those games. Guys from Bon Jovi, Rainbow, Anthrax and their crews were regulars. One time Racquel Welch showed up for a couple of innings. Those were great times.

- D

Last edited: May 18, 2019 at 8:48 AM
    RodeoTex and Chud like this.
  9. rangercaster

rangercaster Friend of Leo's

Songs evoke memories ... It is the memories that are the key ... The songs themselves play a secondary role ... They can even be bad songs ... I am now coining a term ... Yearworm - an annoying song that you still can't get out of your head 30 years later ...

StrangerNY likes this.
  10. Treadplatedual

Treadplatedual Tele-Meister

Oh! I forgot, Weezer's "say it ain't so," or really their entire blue album. It was my first rock album. Holy cow, was that a well made and written masterpiece - I remember once again taking a trip to Walmart with my dad, finding that album for like 8 bucks, and driving around Columbus Indiana with him while we visited my grandparents.

Alllllll the feels. I like this thread.

Chud likes this.
  11. jonrpick

jonrpick Friend of Leo's

The whole Appetite for Destruction record... just amazing.

Nothing about it sounds "Eighties". No other band sounded or looked like that. I had only moved to the suburbs in June of '87, and I got my first taste of MTV that summer. Compared to the likes of Poison, Whitesnake, etc, GNR's video for "Welcome to the Jungle" was absolutely *terrifying* to my 10yr old self that had quickly grown accustomed to neon clothes (and guitars).

I bought the record with some allowance money. I quickly realized that the radio hits just scratched the surface. It was so gritty and real, and at the same time I knew that if my conservative parents heard what I was listening to, that'd be it for my record-buying privileges. So I made a cassette copy of it, then being "the good son", I returned it, telling my mom that it contained "bad words". :D:lol:

To this day, there's not a single song on that record that sounds dated, or impacts me any less than it did in 1987.

StrangerNY, Chud and stnmtthw like this.
  12. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Aerosmith's "Rocks" still makes my pants tight in the front after all these years.

Chud likes this.
  13. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

Nevermind by Nirvana.
    Blood Sugar Sex Magic by RHCP.
    Ten by Pearl Jam.
    Clapton Unplugged.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.