Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Glued my nut on backwards...

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by TheRockyFool, Jul 17, 2017.

1. TheRockyFool

TheRockyFool TDPRI Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Canada
    Probably one of the dumber things I've done but I accidentally krazy-glued my nut on backwards. Any help on fixing this would be much, much appreciated.

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I'm Just brainstorming here. If it is a tele, I am thinking that you may want to saw down the middle and split the nut apart. I'm afraid the cyanoacrylate glue will cause wood to split off if you try to knock it off with a block and hammer...

I'd also be afraid of getting a little nail polish remover on the finish too....

This is tough one.

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

For future reference, should you be crazy gluing your nut in any case? Shouldn't pressure hold it on? What happens later when you want to replace it because you are switching to lighter strings?

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. RLee77

RLee77 Tele-Afflicted

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    I use a few small dabs of wood glue to hold the nut on. It usually taps out pretty easily since the nut itself doesn't form a solid bond with the wood glue, but enough to hold it in place fairly securely with no string pressure.

It may be dependent on what material your nut is. If it's something like a slick plastic like graphtech, it might tap out fairly easily, because even superglue isn't going to stick to that very well.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    Deeve, Scrapperz and Chicago Matt like this.

6. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Tele-Afflicted

Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstock
    This ^^^

Scrapperz likes this.

7. cboutilier

cboutilier Tele-Afflicted

Oct 28, 2015
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Learn to play lefty. It's your only option now.

8. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

now that the nut is in there solid...fill the slots with super glue and baking soda.. and re cut them?...:rolleyes:

9. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2014
    Arivaca AZ
    dremel and grinding wheel if you don't want to risk acetone.

10. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Friend of Leo's

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    Sounds like something I'd do. If it makes you feel better -

[​IMG]

Daniel94 and TheRockyFool like this.

11. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2014
    Arivaca AZ
    Actually I've had some success (assuming it's a tele or strat) with taking the smallest jewelers screwdriver from one side of the nut and slowly tapping it in between the neck and nut. Usually it doesn't chip out badly. You're not the first to super glue a nut. I've had them show up that way in my shop quite often.

If you've used lots of cya I would score each side of the nut with a razor first.

trev333 likes this.

12. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

same here... the small jewellers screwdriver under the ends of the slot..... the perfect tool..;)

13. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Holic

Jun 22, 2010
    Ca
    And now you know why I never Superglue my nuts.

14. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Holic

Apr 11, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    Folks with backwards nuts often have a problem with the issue of coming, when they're supposed to be going? :lol::p:eek:
    Sorry, I couldn't resist. It got pitched across the plate and if i hadn't swung at it, someone else would have!:rolleyes:
    And yeah, a little dab of wood or Elmer's glue does the job and releases fairly easy! If it doesn't come out with the methods already mentioned, you should cut a groove all the way across it, use an exacto knife on both the fingerboard and tuning machine sides and collapse it in upon itself.
    Best Of Luck,
    Gene

Doorlord and E5RSY like this.

15. Preacher

Preacher Tele-Afflicted

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D

16. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Dec 24, 2015
    west of I-10
    crazyglue? I assume you are joking.
    here is one of about a hundred help videos on youtube

17. TheRockyFool

TheRockyFool TDPRI Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Canada
    Just to clarify: the only reason I used krazy glue was because of the recommendation of the luthier who built the guitar. I messaged him after the nut had gone loose and was popping out every time I'd bend a string.

18. Edsel Presley

Edsel Presley Tele-Meister

Jan 29, 2017
    Are your really supposed to glue your nut in? Mine just sits in the groove.

19. MA6200

MA6200 TDPRI Member

May 12, 2017
    Maryland
    Get to the ER. If you work in healthcare you may want to drive a state over though.

20. RLee77

RLee77 Tele-Afflicted

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    I have to admit my mind went to the same place when I first saw the thread title... my first instinct was to post something like, "You shouldn't be gluing your nuts in the first place, leave that sort of thing to the healthcare professionals." But then I went and posted something more useful...

Daniel94 likes this.

21. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2015
    Da' Magic Mittin'

{Sigh} I was too late to the game...

3-Chord-Genius and Veltek like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.